Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #166
Site Supporter
rvannatta's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Apiary, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,171
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I've been fortunate with my DA* 16~50/2.8. I've had it three years now and no problems as yet. Isn't it sad I had to add "as yet" to the end of the sentence? Every time I use it I have to admit I'm wondering if this will be the day. I always have a backup lens or two in the bag just in case. Optically, as Pat notes above, for a zoom it is very good and I especially like the colours. Hope my luck continues.

Tom G
They can't be all bad. I have one of very oldest ones in the forum serial number database. I've used it as my walking around lens of choice
since I got it, and it's still happy and so am I.

12-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #167
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 691
Let me help you by sending your gears to me ha.
12-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #168
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Well, the good news is that Pentax Canada replaced the SDM motor and fixed the clutch mechanism in my 16-50 and sent it back to me in record time! I had my lens back within a week day for day.

The bad news is that they did not fix my 60-250 properly and I'll have to send it back, I was able to reproduce the problem both on and off camera within minutes of unpacking it.

Pat
12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #169
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Hey , I saw a ebay post about cheap 50-150 with SDM failure and claim that this system
can DIY repair, is it true ?. can any one advise me to find DIY instruction for repair the SDM ?

Thanks,

Ohm.

12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #170
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy_oam Quote
Hey , I saw a ebay post about cheap 50-150 with SDM failure and claim that this system
can DIY repair, is it true ?. can any one advise me to find DIY instruction for repair the SDM ?

Thanks,

Ohm.
In most cases it's not an easy repair because the motor needs to be replaced, so I would just buy one with working SDM to begin with.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #171
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 477
I have seen one Chinese guy fixed the SDM issue. Here is the link with many pictures.
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100003594.html

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy_oam Quote
Hey , I saw a ebay post about cheap 50-150 with SDM failure and claim that this system
can DIY repair, is it true ?. can any one advise me to find DIY instruction for repair the SDM ?

Thanks,

Ohm.
12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #172
Pentaxian
EarlVonTapia's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,150
QuoteOriginally posted by ohce Quote
I have seen one Chinese guy fixed the SDM issue. Here is the link with many pictures.
http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100003594.html
Nice link. Putting tape on the contacts is quite clever.

I took apart one of my junk zooms just for fun, and the second I popped off the mount, all of the little contacts sprang up and went on my carpet in every direction. It took about an hour to find them all. Tape would have prevented that.
12-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #173
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
QuoteOriginally posted by ohce Quote
I have seen one Chinese guy fixed the SDM issue. Here is the link with many pictures. http://www.soomal.com/doc/10100003594.html
It's the same "repair" that is in the Lenses section here on the board. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sdm...us-repair.html I do like the way it's well illustrated.

Please be aware that is it not a permanent fix. It will loosen up a seizing motor and you'll get a bit more life out of it, but if the motor has seized to the point of burning out this will do nothing. I would certainly NOT start buying dead SDM lenses thinking this will be a miracle fix.

Pat

12-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #174
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
Lets compare any and all versions of sdm; which would also include what Sigma calls their version the hsm.

Which would the general audience rather purchase??

The Pentax 16-50… The older version have massive issues to state it mildly. I've seen a boatload of them fail well within one year of purchase; even more fail just outside of warranty. And then what - send it back for how many weeks and be without the lens for that long? Even the newer version is not much better.

Compare that to items like the Sigma 14-60 (not sure if I have the focal length correct, but it is about that range). The Sigma has a much better price, better optics, faster & more accurate focusing. The Sigma also has none of the hsm issues that Pentax has with sdm.


Pentax is actually losing customers over issues such as this - lack of quality control in numerous Pentax items. Pentax also not stepping up to the plate and being responsible.

Verdict; Sigma wins yet another one over Pentax
12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #175
Senior Member
clover's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Paris
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
It's the same "repair" that is in the Lenses section here on the board. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sdm...us-repair.html I do like the way it's well illustrated.

Please be aware that is it not a permanent fix. It will loosen up a seizing motor and you'll get a bit more life out of it, but if the motor has seized to the point of burning out this will do nothing. I would certainly NOT start buying dead SDM lenses thinking this will be a miracle fix.

Pat

There is a way to permanently fix it, by no more using the SDM
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/208353-how-de...m-f-2-8-a.html
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #176
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
There is a way to permanently fix it, by no more using the SDM
I guess this firmware hack will become so popular Pentax will take notice of it, and probably do one of two things:

a. Admit that there's an issue with the SDM design and release an updated version of it;
b. Release a firmware version that locks third-party hack software from ever touching it
12-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #177
Senior Member
clover's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Paris
Posts: 139
By the way, the 16-50mm is probably ending its career because of the comnig 24MP sensor, so it will be necessary to improve it...
12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #178
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Lets compare any and all versions of sdm; which would also include what Sigma calls their version the hsm.

Which would the general audience rather purchase??

The Pentax 16-50 The older version have massive issues to state it mildly. I've seen a boatload of them fail well within one year of purchase; even more fail just outside of warranty. And then what - send it back for how many weeks and be without the lens for that long? Even the newer version is not much better.

Compare that to items like the Sigma 14-60 (not sure if I have the focal length correct, but it is about that range). The Sigma has a much better price, better optics, faster & more accurate focusing. The Sigma also has none of the hsm issues that Pentax has with sdm.


Pentax is actually losing customers over issues such as this - lack of quality control in numerous Pentax items. Pentax also not stepping up to the plate and being responsible.

Verdict; Sigma wins yet another one over Pentax
Sigma HSM failure rate is pretty high too:
sigma hsm failure - Google Search
12-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #179
Senior Member
clover's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Paris
Posts: 139
Even Nikon and Canon consider that "SDM" like motors are pieces to change as far as they get old...
12-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #180
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by clover Quote
Even Nikon and Canon consider that "SDM" like motors are pieces to change as far as they get old...
Perhaps. However, the issue with the SDM fails when they are still under warranty or just off. In addition, repairs fail. Canon and Nikon have a far longer warranty on their top lenses.

Last edited by Blue; 12-28-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, sdm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another SDM Failure--NOT! GeneV Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-15-2012 04:50 PM
What is a SDM failure like? slackercruster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-25-2012 01:18 PM
Beginnings of SDM failure? krypticide Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 08-01-2011 11:35 AM
Is this Pentax way of admitting SDM was a failure? mfdesalas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 49 12-28-2010 11:34 PM
SDM failure, camrea or lens? Thomas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-10-2010 07:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top