Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Nice to hear that. Will be waiting for any update to this before I take the dive and get a DA*50-135, which I've been holding off bay by comparing it with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8... Hope that "replaced AF motor" thing did fix the lens and will last for an indefinitely long time.
It works way faster than before but who's to say the design is not faulty in and of itself? Failures may just be a normal part of owning this lens. It is a wonderful lens optically and it's a damn shame Pentax don't allow the choice as to which motor is used to drive it; the SDM or Screw drive. I'm still trying to work out if I am selling all of my Pentax rig in favour of another D800 and a Nikon telephoto so I may never be able to answer your question regarding longevity of the repairs.

bossa

Last edited by bossa; 09-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.
09-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
What sucks is that I don't really of a way to verify that I get a 2012 copy of the 16-50. That's definitely something I'd want to know if dropping ~$800 on a lens.
Luckily, you won't be dropping $800 on it! Problem solved before it started!!....?
09-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
imho, 2012 or not is besides the point: until pentax makes an official statement, confirming the issue, explaining what it was about, and what they did to fix it, and bundling a lifetime warranty for the sdm, or something of that sort, with the "new improved" lenses, i won't even come close to these lenses. This makes me sad, because i've always wanted both of them. Today, they are both too expensive _and_ unreliable (1k euro each). Eventually, i might give up and buy some cheap (old or entry level) canon or nikon body, and get the tokina's instead (for half the price and no failing sdm crap), while i can still find them... Interesting that because i'm so keen on these two (pentax) lenses in particular, i'm considering another system
09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the one thing decent about europe

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
If punctuality were to be included for the warranty we pay for, then the time the equipment spends in wherever it's being repaired should ideally not be deducted from the warranty period - frozen in time until it's shipped back to owner. 2 months is way too long for me...
very interesting. i think in (most of?) europe: 1. warranty is minimum 2 years (by law) 2. warranty work is done within the month (if they can't sort it within a month, the shop is required to provide a brand new replacement, or full refund; i suppose the manufacturer foots the bill, but it's the shop's problem, because i don't deal with pentax directly, as a retail customer) 3. third repair for same kind of failure means the customer is entitled for full refund or brand new replacement.

this means that, if they have to send something to japan for fixing, sorry, not my problem. My first k-5 had the stained sensor, they sent it to the service center for confirmation only; they confirmed very quickly, and while they shipped the camera to "mother ship", they sent me (the shop, that is) a new one; further more, as i got impatient of waiting, i asked my dealer if they can give me one of the k-5's in their stock instead (and may i please test it for stains before i walk out of the shop), as now they had confirmation my replacement is coming; they said yeah, sure (that's why i go back to this brick and mortar shop and not skimp on the few tens of euros i'd save by buying online from the "lowest bidder")

I am unsure, from the top of my head, if warranty is prolonged with the period spent out of the customers possession (but i think it is)

This might be why european dealers will be quite likely to tell you the truth as they honestly know it when you want to buy sdm: they don't need the trouble and headache, and an unhappy customer to top it off, it would be just bad business to them.

Last edited by nanok; 09-30-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: for clarity
09-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I'm the same. I would love the 16 50. There are so many rainy days here in Ireland with regular sun break outs and on these days when out shooting landscape I'm having to put the k5 and da 15 or fa43 back in the bag when it starts to pour down. I'm not willing to splash out in the 16 50 with its dodgy reputation, potential sdm breakdown and now with its pretty high price. I really hope that new wide angle on the roadmap for next is WR. I think Pentax shouldn't be shouting too much about the whole weather sealing when they don't even have as yet have a WR wide angle lens in the line up!
09-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
There are so many rainy days here in Ireland with regular sun break outs and on these days when out shooting landscape I'm having to put the k5 and da 15 or fa43 back in the bag when it starts to pour down.

The whole problem that some have had with SDM is pretty sad. There are some great lenses that pentax otherwise makes.

At least here in the U.S, we can get a 7 year extra warranty for 29 dollars. Which is what I did when I bought the 50-135 lens about two and a half years ago. I guess I got lucky since I have not had any problems with it and I have been using it in the rain a lot. Absolutely beautiful lens. I also have the 18-135. This latter lens, I recently bought and I have used it daily for the last 30 days. Wide angle is not bad on this superzoom lens.
10-02-2012, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

2-3 years ago I vowed not to buy SDM because of all these issues.

I wonder how many sales pentax are losing because of this reputation :/ had they handled the issue professionally and discuss it out in the open rather than saying simply "there is no issue!", perhaps it would be much better for them int he long run.

This news is just one guy speaking and not a company statement, although hopefully it will become one at some point.
10-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
very interesting. i think in (most of?) europe: 1. warranty is minimum 2 years (by law) 2. warranty work is done within the month (if they can't sort it within a month, the shop is required to provide a brand new replacement, or full refund; i suppose the manufacturer foots the bill, but it's the shop's problem, because i don't deal with pentax directly, as a retail customer) 3. third repair for same kind of failure means the customer is entitled for full refund or brand new replacement.

this means that, if they have to send something to japan for fixing, sorry, not my problem. My first k-5 had the stained sensor, they sent it to the service center for confirmation only; they confirmed very quickly, and while they shipped the camera to "mother ship", they sent me (the shop, that is) a new one; further more, as i got impatient of waiting, i asked my dealer if they can give me one of the k-5's in their stock instead (and may i please test it for stains before i walk out of the shop), as now they had confirmation my replacement is coming; they said yeah, sure (that's why i go back to this brick and mortar shop and not skimp on the few tens of euros i'd save by buying online from the "lowest bidder")

I am unsure, from the top of my head, if warranty is prolonged with the period spent out of the customers possession (but i think it is)

This might be why european dealers will be quite likely to tell you the truth as they honestly know it when you want to buy sdm: they don't need the trouble and headache, and an unhappy customer to top it off, it would be just bad business to them.
In Norway we have a VERY strong law about consumer products. Things that are made to last, have by law a 2 year warranty. In addition there is a 5 year manufacturing fault warranty, which covers product meant to last significantly longer than 5 years. Washing machines, stoves and so on. Camera lenses falls under this category. If the same problem occurs three times within the 2 year warranty period, the shop have to replace it with a new item, or another item of similar specs.

10-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #69
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
In Norway we have a VERY strong law about consumer products
It is quite unfortunate that america has a very hands off approach on items such as this. But then again, if it existed in america for items such as automobile purchases - then there would be no more american car labels left because of the lack of quality control and reliability.

It would actually help to drive camera and electronic sales if some type of regulation would actually benefit the consumer
10-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
It is quite unfortunate that america has a very hands off approach on items such as this. But then again, if it existed in america for items such as automobile purchases - then there would be no more american car labels left because of the lack of quality control and reliability.
Huh?

I know of know automobile with less than a three year warranty, I believe every state has 'lemon laws' where if it's not fixed by the third try, the manufacturer has to purchase the vehicle, and there's a federal act as well that also, coincidentally, covers camera warranties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Last edited by ElJamoquio; 10-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #71
Banned

Photos: Albums
Please feel welcome to compare warranties between vehicles offered for sale in america...

Hyundai and Kia come with basically worldwide versions of a ten year warranty, yet few actually ever need much in the way of repairs. Compare those two entry level vehicles to any warranty for any american car label; btw just two left - Ford and General Motor. Either one doesn't have any warranty available which adds up to that of the competitor - even the top of the line american label vesus a Hyundai economy model.

There's bit of irony when most other countries throughout the world actually aim to protect the rights and welfare of it's citizens, but in america there's barely a second rate system.
10-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Huh?

I know of know automobile with less than a three year warranty, and many if not most states have 'lemon laws' where if it's not fixed by the third try, the manufacturer has to purchase the vehicle.
Yeah, cars are one of the things it does exist for, although the laws vary by state and there usually aren't "automatic" triggers for it -- you've got to go to court and prove you've got a lemon, etc. Large-scale problems are handled with recalls.

You *could* take Pentax to small claims court over repeated SDM failures if you wanted to...
10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #73
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
2-3 years ago I vowed not to buy SDM because of all these issues.

I wonder how many sales pentax are losing because of this reputation :/ had they handled the issue professionally and discuss it out in the open rather than saying simply "there is no issue!", perhaps it would be much better for them int he long run.

This news is just one guy speaking and not a company statement, although hopefully it will become one at some point.
Between the SDM and the MAP pricing, I didn't get a DA* 16-50 this year like I had planned.
10-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Between the SDM and the MAP pricing, I didn't get a DA* 16-50 this year like I had planned.
I may bite the bullet and buy one. I want/need a good WR lens with a wide-mid zoom, so I'm going for it. I'm going to probably go through B&H for the 50% savings and see if I can find a warranty for it.
10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #75
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
I may bite the bullet and buy one. I want/need a good WR lens with a wide-mid zoom, so I'm going for it. I'm going to probably go through B&H for the 50% savings and see if I can find a warranty for it.
I decided to make do with a DA 15 ltd on the wide end even though it isn't WR. I may look at a DA* 55/1.4 even though it is sdm. Some of my shots need to be shown in presentations, poster, publications etc. and sometimes the 18-55 WR is just pushing the envelope.