Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #76
Veteran Member

For anyone considering buying a DA*16-50mm....

My lens is now in for repair for the fourth time in 3 years. First time for a zoom ring issue and the past three times for SDM failure. The first two SDM failures were covered under warranty. This most recent time is not. Due to my "History" with the lens, Pentax is giving me 50% off the repair costs :/

The worst part is I asked if the newly designed parts would be used to fix my lens and I was told that they would use "New" parts of the old design. I dont know if Derek at Pentax knows what he's talking about but that's what he told me. My experience is that the repair lasts about 10 to 12 months before it fails again. I'm not a happy camper

10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote

My lens is now in for repair for the fourth time in 3 years. First time for a zoom ring issue and the past three times for SDM failure. The first two SDM failures were covered under warranty. This most recent time is not. Due to my "History" with the lens, Pentax is giving me 50% off the repair costs :/

The worst part is I asked if the newly designed parts would be used to fix my lens and I was told that they would use "New" parts of the old design. I dont know if Derek at Pentax knows what he's talking about but that's what he told me. My experience is that the repair lasts about 10 to 12 months before it fails again. I'm not a happy camper

Sorry for your trouble.

This is just extremely lame. You got stuck with a lemon to begin with, and it should have been replaced, not attempted and repeated repairs, at zero cost to you.

Any attorneys on this forum?

There needs to be a class action law suits against this dumb ass company.
10-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #78
Veteran Member

In OZ you could, after all this time, return that and demand your money back. If something does not work as expected after (I think it's 5 years here but don't quote me) you can just take it back for a refund.

Scary stuff..
10-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Sorry for your trouble.

This is just extremely lame. You got stuck with a lemon to begin with, and it should have been replaced, not attempted and repeated repairs, at zero cost to you.

Any attorneys on this forum?

There needs to be a class action law suits against this dumb ass company.
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
In OZ you could, after all this time, return that and demand your money back. If something does not work as expected after (I think it's 5 years here but don't quote me) you can just take it back for a refund.

Scary stuff..
Thanks for the support. I really should have mentioned that, at first, they told me I had to pay fully for the repair but only after several phone calls with me pleading my case did they even offer to pay half the repair cost. I love my Pentax gear but I have to say Pentax Customer Service here in the USA is very very disappointing.

10-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #80
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
This is just extremely lame. You got stuck with a lemon to begin with, and it should have been replaced, not attempted and repeated repairs, at zero cost to you
Not unusual for the Pentax 16-50, not unusual at all. A good portion of any photographer who has ever used it (byond casually) would also agree in clearly stating - the 16-50 one of the worst lens' the company has ever made.

This person did not get stuck with a lemon. to imply that it is a lemon would be to also imply that it would be unusual to receive such a bad copy. What's unusual is to have a copy of this lens that could actually survive more than two years.
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Well, I just got my lens back today but I didn't get "My" lens back. The paperwork from CRIS indicated that Pentax opted to replace the lens but I still was required to pay for the "repair". I'm just updating this to be fair to all. I'm happy that the defective lens was replaced but shouldn't the fact that they replaced it be an admission that it was defective in the first place? And if that's so why did I have to pay to have a defective lens replaced?
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just got my lens back today but I didn't get "My" lens back. The paperwork from CRIS indicated that Pentax opted to replace the lens but I still was required to pay for the "repair". I'm just updating this to be fair to all. I'm happy that the defective lens was replaced but shouldn't the fact that they replaced it be an admission that it was defective in the first place? And if that's so why did I have to pay to have a defective lens replaced?
Again, extremely lame. Sorry for your trouble. A complete non sense of astronomical proportion. This is like getting arrested for DUI after drinking a glass of water. Pentax again has taken it to yet another stratosphere.

On the other hand, I am somewhat surprised that they did not demand that you give up your kidney though.

10-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I'm happy that the defective lens was replaced.
I'd hate to hear from you when you're not happy.
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Sorry for your troubles. Four repairs in that time period for normal use is beyond unacceptable. I am continually tempted by the 16-50 and 50-135 and then I hear posts like this. Pentax needs to get its act together and right the wrongs with this lens. Fix the issue and do a recall. Having bought into Pentax in the last six months, the SDM issues are one of the biggest cons to the brand IMO.

I really want to buy this pair of lenses for the WR for my outdoor work, but I keep getting scared away.
10-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I really want to buy this pair of lenses for the WR for my outdoor work, but I keep getting scared away.

Get a DA 18-135 WR, save yourself a pile of cash, and dust entering your camera body during lens changes.
10-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Get a DA 18-135 WR, save yourself a pile of cash, and dust entering your camera body during lens changes.
I've been temped a number of times...the IQ of the others (especially the 50-135) keeps calling me back, but the reality is that the 18-135 is probably just fine.
10-31-2012, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is also the reason i'm looking at another system (not Pentax)
11-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Such a pity,.. that 50_135 is such a gem (knocking on wood)
11-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #89
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
This is also the reason i'm looking at another system (not Pentax)
No an isolated statement on that one.

Even considering Pentax's market share - I consider the 16-50 as one of the worst interchangeable lens' made recently for any camera company. It's also sad that Pentax won't officially live up to their mistake and take care of things so that in the long term it will look better for business
11-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...it is about to be replaced....