Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #121
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Well, sent my DA*16-50 in to Pentax Canada for a failed SDM motor for the second time in less than 2 years...

On an unrelated note, I also sent in my DA*60-250 as the aperture mechanism inside the lens barrel hangs upon extension and retraction of the zoom...

Add to that a spotty sensor K5d that needed to be replaced when I bought it and having had to exchange my K20d 2 times before I got one that didn't front focus beyond adjustment... needless to say that at this point I am quite underwhelmed with the quality of Pentax products...

Pat
I had a Nikon, my first serious digital camera and the sensor 'blew out" on it. It was out of warranty but since it was under recall, they replaced the sensor in it.

11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #122
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
quite underwhelmed with the quality of Pentax products
So that now makes three Pentax branded lens all with major issues. Add to that the original (but now phased out) K-5 having sensor burn issues
11-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #123
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
So that now makes three Pentax branded lens all with major issues. Add to that the original (but now phased out) K-5 having sensor burn issues
I think he was talking about the sensor stains early in the K-5 run. The Nikon D7000 wasn't without its issues.
12-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #124
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 47
Wake up Pentax!

What's with Pentax? Re-write your firmware to allow using the screw-drive as an option for K-5 owners.

12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #125
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
What's with Pentax? Re-write your firmware to allow using the screw-drive as an option for K-5 owners.
They're probably thinking, "that would be convenient to get rid of all these SDM complaints... but wait. Maybe we can just force them instead to buy new ones and announcing that these later specimens are trouble-free! That would keep maintenance costs low and still keep sales up!"
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #126
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 472
I sure would like to see a picture of the new part vs the old part. I find it interesting that we still haven't seen something like that.
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #127
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 47
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
They're probably thinking, "that would be convenient to get rid of all these SDM complaints... but wait. Maybe we can just force them instead to buy new ones and announcing that these later specimens are trouble-free! That would keep maintenance costs low and still keep sales up!"
That's the depressing part about this. It's not about their convenience, it's about ours. Nothing like being on vacation and your SDM fails. Your lens has the screw drive but you can't use it. As i mentioned above, I work in IT, software developer. Well written firmware/software is all about options. There will always be the default behaviour but you provide options for the sophisticated user or as a fail-safe backup. Get it fixed when we have some down-time/quiet-time.
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #128
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Now why would they make the screw-drive work as a backup when they can charge us 10 times what it costs them to change a $15 part and $50 of labour to replace the SDM motor...

At this point Pentax Canada has had my lenses almost a week and I haven't heard a peep from them... this does not bode well... last few times I dealt with them they at least sent me a note the next day to let me know they had received my item and give me a reference number. *sigh*

Pat

12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #129
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
Get it fixed when we have some down-time/quiet-time.
Don't expect this to happen. There has been a petition to Pentax to allow the screw-drive to be enabled. To no avail.

Maybe Pentax regards enabling such a feature as an admission of SDM problems, which they'd like to avoid.
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #130
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,193
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Has the forum ever presented a petition regarding the firmware changes necessary to achieve this?
Yes. -> Pentax SDM Firmware Petition
12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #131
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Don't expect this to happen. There has been a petition to Pentax to allow the screw-drive to be enabled. To no avail.

Maybe Pentax regards enabling such a feature as an admission of SDM problems, which they'd like to avoid.
Do we know whether the screw drive will work when the SDM freezes up? Is there a clutch mechanism in the camera that will prevent a frozen lens from harming the gearing in the camera? I do not own any SDM for these reasons. So, I have never looked into the screw drive issue beyond knowing that it will not work on the SDM lenses. I'd rather ask these questions than pretend I know, which I do not.
12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #132
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Do we know whether the screw drive will work when the SDM freezes up? Is there a clutch mechanism in the camera that will prevent a frozen lens from harming the gearing in the camera? I do not own any SDM for these reasons. So, I have never looked into the screw drive issue beyond knowing that it will not work on the SDM lenses. I'd rather ask these questions than pretend I know, which I do not.
MF still works so the S.D. may still work. Someone with a dead SDM could try it out on a *istD and see.
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #133
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,190
Thanks for re-posting the link to the signature campaign, Class A.

Though I think it must be addressed to Pentax-Japan, where the top brass make the big decisions. If allowing use of the SD is an admittance of a flaw in the SDM design, then the head honchos must know how to decide upon it.
12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #134
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 434
I think I have read before about people having their SDM die and they tried their lens on a K10 with old firmware and the autofocus was brought back to life as a screwdrive. Again, this assumes that all SDM problems are identical, which is not the case. People have had variable success opening their lens and working their motor manually trying to free it from being stuck. Overall, nothing is certain.

Unless Pentax officially announces the former issue and offers a solution (old lenses will be fixed even out of warranty) and states that new lenses have the corrected design, I'll be doubtful the issue has been resolved. The interview with the engineer might have been totally factual or might have been someone asking him about SMD failure and he got put into a corner and just said that the problem has been resolved (when it really might be design flaw which cant be fixed).

It's a pity though, my DA* 50-135 is one of my favorite lens. At least if my SDM fails i will be left with a really amazing manual focus lens.
12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #135
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I think I have read before about people having their SDM die and they tried their lens on a K10 with old firmware and the autofocus was brought back to life as a screwdrive. Again, this assumes that all SDM problems are identical, which is not the case. People have had variable success opening their lens and working their motor manually trying to free it from being stuck. Overall, nothing is certain.

Unless Pentax officially announces the former issue and offers a solution (old lenses will be fixed even out of warranty) and states that new lenses have the corrected design, I'll be doubtful the issue has been resolved. The interview with the engineer might have been totally factual or might have been someone asking him about SMD failure and he got put into a corner and just said that the problem has been resolved (when it really might be design flaw which cant be fixed).

It's a pity though, my DA* 50-135 is one of my favorite lens. At least if my SDM fails i will be left with a really amazing manual focus lens.
If that's the case, then it would be easier to use a screwdriver and stick it in the screw-drive slot of the lens and twist and turn rather than opening the lens up and doing it that way. Interesting, will keep this in mind if either of my SDM ever dies.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, sdm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another SDM Failure--NOT! GeneV Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-15-2012 04:50 PM
What is a SDM failure like? slackercruster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-25-2012 01:18 PM
Beginnings of SDM failure? krypticide Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 08-01-2011 11:35 AM
Is this Pentax way of admitting SDM was a failure? mfdesalas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 49 12-28-2010 11:34 PM
SDM failure, camrea or lens? Thomas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-10-2010 07:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top