Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An end to SDM failure?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

These are the words of one engineer, albeit one that personally is in charge of lens repair:

Jens Petersen on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"One could say that the AF components used in these lenses was prone to failure from the get-go due to their design."

Well, as long as you guys admit it~

"Yes. The components used in the 16-50mm and 50-135mm lenses have been redesiged, and all lenses produced in 2012 or later should no longer fail."

Most important reply so far. Hopefully it's accurate.
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Awesome, yes. Even makes me giddy as I figured they'd never fix, let alone address, the SDM issue as I've always wanted to stick with Pentax glass but once I read about the SDM I started looking toward third-party.

Reading that post actually made me set to contact BH and inquire about the 60-250, but then this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198534-how-sav...ml#post2102327

Even with the SDM redesigned, is it worth the $1800? I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard it lacks in sharpness for a lens of that price.
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote
Awesome, yes. Even makes me giddy as I figured they'd never fix, let alone address, the SDM issue as I've always wanted to stick with Pentax glass but once I read about the SDM I started looking toward third-party.

Reading that post actually made me set to contact BH and inquire about the 60-250, but then this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198534-how-sav...ml#post2102327

Even with the SDM redesigned, is it worth the $1800? I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard it lacks in sharpness for a lens of that price.
No. It's worth ~$1200-$1400 new. It's sharp enough - but at $1800, it just is overpriced.

09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

At least he answered the questions about the earlier SDM (Sudden Death Motor) design.
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

So this means that If I were to send my DA* for repairs now, the new fail-proof components will be used to fix it and my DA* will be a perfect lens again??? How much can that cost?
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This just in: Jens Petersen sacked...

09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This just in: Jens Petersen sacked...
He is the engineer we deserve... not the engineer we need right now...

waitaminute, we do need him right now
09-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Banned

Excellent, on several fronts. First, he admitted they were failure prone from the design, which I'm sure Pentax-Ricoh will try and clarify later to cloud it all up and blame it on a language barrier, or something. Next, if he knows it's a design flaw, then what about the thousands of people worldwide that are subsidizing Pentax's business, like Mercedes, with repairs that are extremely expensive on flawed items? This has been going on for years now, with the occasional person coming around and claiming the parts are updated, without a shred of proof.

Next, are they still throwing parts at the problem?

Is it time yet to start a consumer action against Pentax for these failures?
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Wait a second...There were some people here that said that these failures were just our imagination. That we there was no inherent design flaw. That people who complained were ruining Pentax's great name. Does this mean that possibly, just possibly, those people were wrong??
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Excellent, on several fronts. First, he admitted they were failure prone from the design, which I'm sure Pentax-Ricoh will try and clarify later to cloud it all up and blame it on a language barrier, or something. Next, if he knows it's a design flaw, then what about the thousands of people worldwide that are subsidizing Pentax's business, like Mercedes, with repairs that are extremely expensive on flawed items? This has been going on for years now, with the occasional person coming around and claiming the parts are updated, without a shred of proof.

Next, are they still throwing parts at the problem?

Is it time yet to start a consumer action against Pentax for these failures?
That is easy, blame it on the Hoya boys and send them the bill.
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This all depends on what failure prone means... was it within industry standards for that type of equipment. After all we have seen that Pentax is pretty much tops for dependability. The fact that they didn't meet Pentax standards doesn't mean they didn't meet industry averages for that type of lens. I would be happy if Pentax compensated everyone that has a problem with these lenses, but once again, what you know, and what you think you know could be two different things. Not that it makes much difference. If Pentax knew they were failure prone.. they should have extended the warranty, if for no other reason just to maintain their reputation.

I guess the good thng for people wanting to buy now is that the problem has been solved. Makes you wonder though, are the price increases due to having to upgrade the SDM system? having botched the job the first time, you have to wonder, how much un-expected expense did that incur?
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote

ProDigital 2000 sell it for $1299
NEW smc Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 ED SDM LENS K20D/K-7/K-5 0027075141247 | eBay
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This all depends on what failure prone means... was it within industry standards for that type of equipment. After all we have seen that Pentax is pretty much tops for dependability. The fact that they didn't meet Pentax standards doesn't mean they didn't meet industry averages for that type of lens. I would be happy if Pentax compensated everyone that has a problem with these lenses, but once again, what you know, and what you think you know could be two different things. Not that it makes much difference. If Pentax knew they were failure prone.. they should have extended the warranty, if for no other reason just to maintain their reputation.

I guess the good thng for people wanting to buy now is that the problem has been solved. Makes you wonder though, are the price increases due to having to upgrade the SDM system? having botched the job the first time, you have to wonder, how much un-expected expense did that incur?
The price increases effected many of the DA Ltd lenses etc and not just the DA* lenses. The warranty should be at least 3 years on a DA* lens anyway. I am certain Nikon would have fixed the SDM failures regardless probably after warranty. I had them do it in the past.
09-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmm...I have had my 50-135 lens for 2 years now. Since the sdm design had some kind of inherent flaw and mine has not failed so far, what does this mean? Oh, hey I forgot. I had purchased a 7 year warranty on that lens. I guess it means that if it has to be repaired maybe a whole new system can be put in.

However, it will be good to see whether this is true or not. How would people who are buying this lens new this year know if a lens was made in 2012 or not vs old stock?