Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Petersen said the same already in 2010.
There may have been changes, but when and what we do not know.
The USA office still hasn't heard about it. Apparently they don't pay attention to Photokina or anything. I guess they are polishing their snow skis.

09-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

How to know if the lens is 2012 made or not? What are the serial numbers of DA16-50?
09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How to know if the lens is 2012 made or not? What are the serial numbers of DA16-50?
That is a good question and I hope someone has the answer to it. There may be serial numbers during the failure survey to help come up with a transition period.
09-20-2012, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had my Pentax DA* 16~50/2.8 for about three years now. As I recall the lens cost a $1,000 at the time of purchase. I admit I don't use it a lot but I have experienced no SDM or other issues of any kind. That being said it appears it will only be a matter of time before I shall. As others have said above I think Pentax should take the high road and recall these lenses for repair. It appears lenses built before 2012 have failure prone motors. Some provision should be made for owners to have these parts replaced by Pentax. I doubt it will happen but it would be the right thing to do.

Tom G

09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #50
Veteran Member

As I said in an earlier post my DA*55 & DA*50-135 have been away for repairs for 8 weeks now. They are in Japan on holiday, a place I would like to visit myself one day. I was told I 'might' see them in another week or two as they have been repaired and are awaiting the next commercial shipment to OZ. The Pentax 'tech' I spoke to told me he had not heard of any upgrades to the spec on those lenses. I seriously cannot fathom how they can think two months (maybe three) is an acceptable time to be without lenses I paid Australian prices for. It's a huge chunk out of the warranty period.
09-20-2012, 05:59 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's a huge chunk out of the warranty period.
If punctuality were to be included for the warranty we pay for, then the time the equipment spends in wherever it's being repaired should ideally not be deducted from the warranty period - frozen in time until it's shipped back to owner. 2 months is way too long for me...
09-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #52
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Is it time yet to start a consumer action against Pentax for these failures
Yes. I still cannot believe that a camera company such as Pentax would ever release the 16-50. In terms of reliability; I'd trust a lensbaby more than the 16-50. This is by far the worst Penta lens ever to be made. By the way, did I mention it's not just the Sudden Death Motor, but also the zoom mechanism?

09-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Yes. I still cannot believe that a camera company such as Pentax would ever release the 16-50. In terms of reliability; I'd trust a lensbaby more than the 16-50. This is by far the worst Penta lens ever to be made. By the way, did I mention it's not just the Sudden Death Motor, but also the zoom mechanism?
No you didn't mention that.. cheers.

I already had a sloppy zoom ring 'fixed' on my DA*50-135 and when I got it back the motor was slower than treacle. Also, the lower left side was now 'soft', as if it had been bumped around and an element had become de-centered. I'm pretty sure that I'll be selling up as soon as they return. I'll be glad to get away from the endless whining about how there's no FF, if nothing else. Anyway, if any more lenses were to fail I'd likely have to pay for them as I only have two left under warranty.
09-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just ask Pentax USA and they claimed the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 do not have any issues with SDM or know of any issues with SDM.
I guess I'm still on the fence and not buying them then.
09-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #55
Banned

This is why I never bought an SDM and likely never will. There are even owners of the primes reporting failures, too. Not as much as the 16-50 and 50-135, but there's no way I'll be going out on a trip only to have the AF fail and it won't toggle to screw drive. I want that lens working at all costs.

It stuns me how passive Pentax customers are in this, paying insane prices for repairs on a bad design. Luckily, my dealer warned me to not go SDM and Pentax is their main line. That should say enough.

Last edited by Blue; 09-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.
09-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #56
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
Just ask Pentax USA and they claimed the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 do not have any issues with SDM or know of any issues with SDM
My reply to Pentax and/or the person representing Pentax that stated that; The claim made "by Pentax" is nothing short of a lie.

But better yet I coulld clearly prove it; as could many, many others who own the 16-50.
09-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #57
fuf
Forum Member

I've sent my 16-50 in for a 3rd repair of the SDM and the serviceman told me that the motors in the faulty lenses are being replaced with stronger ones. Unfortunately my lens is out of warranty already but I really hope he was telling me the truth and this will be the last repair.
09-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuf Quote
I've sent my 16-50 in for a 3rd repair of the SDM and the serviceman told me that the motors in the faulty lenses are being replaced with stronger ones. Unfortunately my lens is out of warranty already but I really hope he was telling me the truth and this will be the last repair.
Good luck. Which repair facility are you using?
09-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #59
Veteran Member

My DA*50-135 & DA*55 are back now. They were away for 10 weeks all up...

I got a report which consisted of one line per lens: The DA*50-135 AF motor was replaced and the lens cleaned and tested. The DA*55 report said "replace gears, clean and test".. that lens was brand new and only a few months old. I'm seriously wondering if AIV is worth the effort if lenses have to go back to Japan like this. Anyway, the DA*55 no longer 'chatters' although I still need to do some AF tuning. Thus far, they seem to be working well and yhe AF speed of the 50-135 is way better now, but for how long?
09-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My DA*50-135 & DA*55 are back now. They were away for 10 weeks all up... I got a report which consisted of one line per lens: The DA*50-135 AF motor was replaced and the lens cleaned and tested. The DA*55 report said "replace gears, clean and test".. that lens was brand new and only a few months old. I'm seriously wondering if AIV is worth the effort if lenses have to go back to Japan like this. Anyway, the DA*55 no longer 'chatters' although I still need to do some AF tuning. Thus far, they seem to be working well and yhe AF speed of the 50-135 is way better now, but for how long?
Nice to hear that. Will be waiting for any update to this before I take the dive and get a DA*50-135, which I've been holding off bay by comparing it with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8... Hope that "replaced AF motor" thing did fix the lens and will last for an indefinitely long time.