Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2012, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One happy owner of a 16-50mm

In the interest of balance ... and taking for granted that angry voices tend to dominate over satisfied owners on these forums, here's my story: I bought my 16-50 used in 2008, used it very heavily all the way to 2012 when the SDM failed. Even when it began to show signs of coming motor failure, I continued to take thousands of satisfying pictures with it. When it finally stopped working this spring, I sent it away to CRIS, they replaced the motor in 4 weeks for 230 dollars. That's all, I did not have to give up a kidney or wait till Christmas. When it arrived it came back perfect, perhaps better than new. It delivers images that I've been able to sell as well as privately enjoy, with great reliability and consistency.

I love my DA * 16-50, it's a helluva lens. Things break sometimes. When they do, I fix them and keep shooting. The pictures my 16-50 gives me is worth the effort.

So .... you may count ONE happy owner among the noisy rabble.

11-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
... the noisy rabble.
Classy.
11-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Classy.
There is just way too much hyperbole on the SDM issue. My personal take on it is that Pentax should replace SDM and give a minimum of three year warranties on their professional grade lenses. I do own three DA * lenses and as Germar says, they are excellent, take great photos and if the SDM fails down the road (no problems for the last three years for me), I'll fix them without too much whining.
11-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My take is SDM has a perception issue. There are incidents of SDM failure on the web, sometime the same incident being repeated many times over and over and over. It may be a small percentage it may not be. It doesn't help that there's no statistics on failures as an industry like the automobile industry. The PentaxForum SDM failure survey that Adam ran, doesn't show a decrease in failures over time. I believe a lens rental company said the failure rate was the same for all manufacturers and that SDM didn't have a higher rate of failure vs Canon/Nikon ring motors.

However, when it's your lens that fails, all the industry statistics or hearsay doesn't help. The warranty period is 1 year in the US, I believe Canada is different. I would like Pentax to at least address the issue. If they truely believe theirs no issues with the SDM motor, then extend the warranty on the SDM motor only. Simular to new automobiles, 3 years bumper to bumper, but powertrain is 7 years. Extend the SDM motor warranty to 3 years.

I personally haven't bought an SDM lens because of this perception. I've shot with the the DA* and would love to own them, but if the motor is going to fail on me during a shoot, then I don't need the headache.

Perception is reality. Reality is not perception.

Last edited by 7samurai; 11-02-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
11-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
My take is SDM has a perception issue. There are incidents of SDM failure on the web, sometime the same incident being repeated many times over and over and over. It may be a small percentage it may not be. It doesn't help that there's no statistics on failures as an industry like the automobile industry. The PentaxForum SDM failure survey that Adam ran, doesn't show a decrease in failures over time. I believe a lens rental company said the failure rate was the same for all manufacturers and that SDM didn't have a higher rate of failure vs Canon/Nikon ring motors.

However, when it's your lens that fails, all the industry statistics or hearsay doesn't help. The warranty period is 1 year in the US, I believe Canada is different. I would like Pentax to at least address the issue. If they truely believe theirs no issues with the SDM motor, then extend the warranty on the SDM motor only. Simular to new automobiles, 3 years bumper to bumper, but powertrain is 7 years. Extend the SDM motor warranty to 3 years.

I personally haven't bought an SDM lens because of this perception. I've shot with the the DA* and would love to own them, but if the motor is going to fail on me during a shoot, then I don't need the headache.

Perception is reality. Reality is not perception.
I'd love to see the reference for the rental company because most just don't handle Pentax. There is a VERY clear difference in ring motors - look at SDM vs DC for the 18-135. Both silent motors but the 18-135 has 0 failures in 100 reports. To my way of thinking when reputable members here talk about the 2-3 and even 4 times they have had the same SDM lens in for the same repair it's a design fault - nothing else.
11-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My take on Sudden Death Motor issue is that if happens to you, then it is a 100% pure hysterical nonsense, no matter what the rate of incidence is amongst Pentax customers out there. It happened to me three times, once with 50-135, which I still am in possession of, and twice with 16-50. I sold my third copy of 16-50 before sudden death motor manifested itself once again. So, from my standpoint, I will bad mouth it as much as I can, at every chance I get. Despite SDM, I kept my 50-135 because optically I just couldn't part from it. On the other hand, 16-50, I was not all that thrilled with it in any aspects.
11-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd love to see the reference for the rental company because most just don't handle Pentax.
Here is a link to what someone got from cameralensrentals.com, one of the few that rent out pentax. Its not really a reference of reliability as such, other than that at that particular time they had not had sdm issues. Its at least 2 years old. Maybe someone can write them again?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121718-sdm-aut...nsrentals.html

11-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #98
Veteran Member

The SDM motor in my DA*16-50 died within 90 days of purchase... and is crapping out on me again barely 18 months after getting fixed... looks like I'll have to send this lens in again...

Pat
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Here is a link to what someone got from cameralensrentals.com, one of the few that rent out pentax. Its not really a reference of reliability as such, other than that at that particular time they had not had sdm issues. Its at least 2 years old. Maybe someone can write them again?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121718-sdm-aut...nsrentals.html
Thanks for the link, my memory isn't what it use to be and I sure couldn't even remember the company.
11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'd love to see the reference for the rental company because most just don't handle Pentax. There is a VERY clear difference in ring motors - look at SDM vs DC for the 18-135. Both silent motors but the 18-135 has 0 failures in 100 reports. To my way of thinking when reputable members here talk about the 2-3 and even 4 times they have had the same SDM lens in for the same repair it's a design fault - nothing else.
I do agree that I've not heard of any of the DC motors failing or having issues. All I hear is that they are quick.
I'd be curious why Pentax is targeting the DC motors for the low-end while SDM is reservered for the high-end. I've heard comments that it's based on the amount of torque generated, but that's probably another dicussion for another thread.

I agree that's it's a faulty design. The comments from a single engineer that SDM has been fixed without cooresponding evidence from Pentax/Ricoh is suspect.
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd hate to hear from you when you're not happy.

I didnt complain one bit when I had to send my K10D back for a defective sensor, or when my K-7 needed its sensor replaced, or when my K-5 was replaced for the sensor stain issue, or when my DA* 200 went back for SDM failure. And I didnt complain at all when my DA*16-50 went back the first three times. But enough is enough...
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #102
Pentaxian

I can happily report having a 16-50 since August 2007. It's in the forum serial number database as the 10th from the oldest on the list of 126 reported serial numbers. It has been my walking around lens since purchase. It has always worked appropriately. Maybe it won't some day, but if it fails I'll either buy another on or have this one fixed..... I use it for the vast majority of my photos.
11-06-2012, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #103
fuf
Forum Member

rvannatta: Lucky you! My 16-50's SDM failed 3 times and is currently in for repair. Unfortunately in Europe SDM repairs are now done by a service center in France which is *horrible*: the lens has been there for 2,5 months and there's still no date when it will be fixed! Premium lens, premium price, very unreliable SDM and horrible service. I must confess I'm wavering in my Pentax attraction :/
11-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
...it is about to be replaced....
Do you know something we should know?
11-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Do you know something we should know?
Isn't he just referring to the lens road map, which shows a new DA* normal zoom for 2013?