Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #106

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA 17-70mm failed after about 1.5 years. I've been using via manual focus for 1.5 years. After reading about admissions of a faulty design, I inquired of Pentax about getting it repaired. No mention of faulty design of SDM or any special discounts or replacment. They said send it in and they'll give me a quote on expenses to fix it. So, based on what I've seen, it will probably cost me $200 or more... which I'd rather spend on a reliable lens that won't fail. Very frustrating when they know it had problems and has been proven out to be true by the landslide of failed SDM motors.

I also have a DA* 50-135mm which I've used sparingly because I'm afraid the SDM motor will fail if I use it more often... this just isn't right... I should be able to use my gear worry free. PENTAX SHOULD, so to speak, JUST BITE THE BULLET AND MAKE THIS WHOLE PROBLEM RIGHT!!!

11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #107
Pentaxian

What would be an "acceptable" lifetime for these motors? With our old manual focus lenses, we can reasonably expect them to last decades. Passive auto-focus (gear drive) lenses should be capable of lasting quite a long time also. But lenses with active motors in them? They are going to die after some point no matter what, so even if it takes them 10 years to fail (which I would find acceptable), they are still going to be fine pieces of glass. Will replacement parts be available in 10-15 years? Everything is so disposable these days, yet also just as or more expensive than they used to be...
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #108
fuf
Forum Member

So I have finally received my 16-50 from service. After having made many calls to the authorized distributor and after them having made many calls and write many emails to the french service center the lens is finally back. The whole time taken to repair the the lens? 3 months! Price approx. $200. Upon initial quick testing the focusing is snappy. I really hope this been last time the lens was serviced.
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What would be an "acceptable" lifetime for these motors? With our old manual focus lenses, we can reasonably expect them to last decades. Passive auto-focus (gear drive) lenses should be capable of lasting quite a long time also. But lenses with active motors in them? They are going to die after some point no matter what, so even if it takes them 10 years to fail (which I would find acceptable), they are still going to be fine pieces of glass. Will replacement parts be available in 10-15 years? Everything is so disposable these days, yet also just as or more expensive than they used to be...

I would say, working with electronics, that normal life should be 10-15 years under normal circumstances. If they are smart they use mostly generic components that will be replaceable, by newer "equivalent" types.

11-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuf Quote
So I have finally received my 16-50 from service. After having made many calls to the authorized distributor and after them having made many calls and write many emails to the french service center the lens is finally back. The whole time taken to repair the the lens? 3 months! Price approx. $200. Upon initial quick testing the focusing is snappy. I really hope this been last time the lens was serviced.
Did they repair your lens or replace it? Pentax replaced my lens completely with a new one. Mine was in for it's 4th repair.
11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #111
Pentaxian

I think they should last as long as an in-camera AF motor. Most of them are still going on well-treated cameras and they've been around for 20 to 25 years.
11-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
In the interest of balance ... and taking for granted that angry voices tend to dominate over satisfied owners on these forums, here's my story: I bought my 16-50 used in 2008, used it very heavily all the way to 2012 when the SDM failed. Even when it began to show signs of coming motor failure, I continued to take thousands of satisfying pictures with it. When it finally stopped working this spring, I sent it away to CRIS, they replaced the motor in 4 weeks for 230 dollars. That's all, I did not have to give up a kidney or wait till Christmas. When it arrived it came back perfect, perhaps better than new. It delivers images that I've been able to sell as well as privately enjoy, with great reliability and consistency.

I love my DA * 16-50, it's a helluva lens. Things break sometimes. When they do, I fix them and keep shooting. The pictures my 16-50 gives me is worth the effort.

So .... you may count ONE happy owner among the noisy rabble.
I too like my DA* 16-50 and it is one of my favorite tools for wedding photography. Mine is from one of the early production batches but it has been fixed since I bought it from someone, it is still holding up quite good (knock on wood).

I also have the DA*50-135 which I used mainly for stage shows; it is still holding up..

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-12-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: also added my DA* 50-135 condition still holding up
11-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #113
fuf
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Did they repair your lens or replace it? Pentax replaced my lens completely with a new one. Mine was in for it's 4th repair.
They just replaced the failed SDM, which I'm glad they did just that as the lens focus had been adjusted and was optically very good.
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #114

firmware work around...why not

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Why can't they just issue a firmware that lets you switch the screw-drive when needed.
I've thought the same thing. All SDM lenses should include the screw-drive. The firmware is updated to prioritize which is used. The firmware already has the ability to remember focus fine tuning for multiple lenses. Do the same thing for those that have SDM and screw-drive. I own a bunch of lenses but only two SDM lenses - 55 and 50-135. The 55 is SDM only. I'm tired of hearing screw-drive is slow and noisy. I'm new to modern equipment - about 2 years. I'm an old Minolta dude with Tamron lenses - going back 30 years. If your auto-focus is too noisy for the situation, switch to manual. If you think it is too slow, again, switch to manual and see how slow you are. The reason I went Pentax was to be able to use my old lenses only to discover I really needed the auto-exposure, which I lost. That and I liked the ergonomics of the K-5 body. I work in IT. I know the power of firmware/software. Pentax: re-write your firmware to allow for the nuances of how your gear is used.

Last edited by FireDog; 11-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Has the forum ever presented a petition regarding the firmware changes necessary to achieve this? It seems logical to get everyone signed up to get the choice of which motor you want to use.
11-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Has the forum ever presented a petition regarding the firmware changes necessary to achieve this? It seems logical to get everyone signed up to get the choice of which motor you want to use.
You're right, time to do so !
11-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I think there was a petition somewhere, I've seen it a few months ago too but forgot where the link was.... as far as i remember there were around 1k+ signatures only
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #118
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
There was an effort to get them to do so some time ago, but the current Golden Colorado crew and Hoya boys didn't care.
11-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There was an effort to get them to do so some time ago, but the current Golden Colorado crew and Hoya boys didn't care.
We've got a new head of Pentax USA now, perhaps its time to pitch it again?
11-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, sent my DA*16-50 in to Pentax Canada for a failed SDM motor for the second time in less than 2 years...

On an unrelated note, I also sent in my DA*60-250 as the aperture mechanism inside the lens barrel hangs upon extension and retraction of the zoom...

Add to that a spotty sensor K5d that needed to be replaced when I bought it and having had to exchange my K20d 2 times before I got one that didn't front focus beyond adjustment... needless to say that at this point I am quite underwhelmed with the quality of Pentax products...

Pat