Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax really needs to make a statement regarding SDM. I don't expect them to admit to a problem in the past (probably not rich enough ) but if they have fixed the "problem" and are now selling "updated SDM" then I would be seriously interested in purchasing an SDM lens.
How many other people out there waiting for proof?

12-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Pentax really needs to make a statement regarding SDM. I don't expect them to admit to a problem in the past (probably not rich enough ) but if they have fixed the "problem" and are now selling "updated SDM" then I would be seriously interested in purchasing an SDM lens.
How many other people out there waiting for proof?
If they won't admit there is a problem with SDM now, what would make you comfortable with them telling you that SDM2 is improved and reliable? I'd have to take a wait and see attitude unless Pentax put their money where their mouth is and put into place a MUCH improved warranty at the same time.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-05-2012 at 05:43 AM.
12-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really believe that changing the SDM will truly do away with SDM problems forever. I would hope it would space out the necessity of having repairs though. It just seems to me that the in lens motors even in the best of situations will only last ten or fifteen years at the most. I guess that would be a normal expected lifespan for such a product -- too bad though, considering that screw driven lenses have a much longer life span (manual focus lenses are longest of all).
I'm pretty late to this thread but I'll chime in anyway. Rondec makes the key point above. Anytime you have moving parts they will be subject to wear and eventual failure. Entropy sucks. No AF lens, regardless of maker, will function perfectly forever. That being said the SDM issues with certain Pentax lenses DA* 16~50/2.8 etc. appear to have a higher incidence of failure than might be expected of a lens at this price point. Pentax should take the high road and recall the affected lenses. They should also pay or subsidize the cost of repiar as is the case in automobile recalls. I know I'm probably dreaming here but one can hope.

Tom G
12-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #154
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Pentax lenses DA* 16~50/2.8 etc. appear to have a higher incidence of failure than might be expected of a lens at this price point
I've owned many slr's since the 80's; and owned over various points in time over 100++ lens.

I'll sign my name to this one... The Pentax 16-50 is by far the worst slr lens I've ever owned; nothing comes close. I'd rather own a lens-baby over that version of a Pentax lens.

12-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
The Pentax 16-50 is by far the worst slr lens I've ever owned; nothing comes close
I probably wouldn't go that far... optically I really cannot complain about my copy of the lens... for a zoom it's amazing.

But mechanically, when it comes to the autofocus system: it's a lemon.

I am wondering if there is some high tech lubricant (no not WD40 folks!) I can use on the SDM motor to try to make it last a bit longer... I have to admit that getting barely a year of use out of a lens between motor replacements IS quite irritating.

Pat
12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I probably wouldn't go that far... optically I really cannot complain about my copy of the lens... for a zoom it's amazing.

But mechanically, when it comes to the autofocus system: it's a lemon.

Pat
I've been fortunate with my DA* 16~50/2.8. I've had it three years now and no problems as yet. Isn't it sad I had to add "as yet" to the end of the sentence? Every time I use it I have to admit I'm wondering if this will be the day. I always have a backup lens or two in the bag just in case. Optically, as Pat notes above, for a zoom it is very good and I especially like the colours. Hope my luck continues.

Tom G
12-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I've had it three years now and no problems as yet.
Lucky, and I do hope it's one of those rare ones that for some reason have evaded the dreaded failure count. Now if Pentax's design of the motor is flawed, what makes Canikon's so... well, reliable? (not sure about this though but I've never heard complaints yet from Canon USM and Nikon SWM folks... even Sigma HSM)

12-05-2012, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #158

Is this a story without an end.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I am an old Minolta/Tamron dude. I still have all of it. None have failed. But they all are showing their age. Fractured seals, internal stains of lens elements. All about 20 - 30 years old. Can I expect the same from modern gear? If not that depresses me to no end. As I have also mentioned I work in IT. Software development. I pride myself in delivering a bullet-proof solution. I always have. I have been self-employed most of my life. The few times I had to resort to employment I hated it. I was constantly being chastised for designing "Cadillac Solutions" to "Chevrolet Problems". Sometime in the last 20 years I swore I would never be an employee again. Every problem is a "Chevy Problem" that could have been avoided if you had taken the time to develop a "Cadillac Solution". Forgive me I'm a little tipsy. Busting my ass on documentation for our next release. I just wish those that provide us the the high tech tools to indulge our hobbies or explore a professional career would conduct themselves with the same integrity, It has taken me a year to port our complex business product from XP to WIN7 and 64 bit. Only because Microsoft screwed up on a ton of internal details. I'd hate to be a professional photographer that tied their career to Pentax. The Pentax 6x7 was my dream slr, years ago. I think that's what it is called. Cheers and good night.
12-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FireDog Quote
I was constantly being chastised for designing "Cadillac Solutions" to "Chevrolet Problems"
I applaud you for your attitude.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with how shoddy Lightroom's code base is?
The amateur mistakes in it and the atrocious quality control (or better, lack thereof) drive me mad.
Hopefully someday, someone will give Adobe a serious run for their money.
12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Now if Pentax's design of the motor is flawed, what makes Canikon's so... well, reliable?
Higher quality Canon (and Sigma) lenses use ring motors which are much more robust than the micro motors used for Pentax lenses. Note, however, that apparently it isn't the micro motors packing up on their own -- many cheaper Canon lenses prove that this need not be the case -- but the overall drive construction in the problematic Pentax lenses.
12-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #161
Veteran Member

Is DC ring or micro motor?
12-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Is DC ring or micro motor?
Micro-motor too, simpler than the SDM ones.
12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #163

Photos: Albums
Probably there is a need to sign a petition asking Pentax to reduced the cost of repair of SDM lenses made before 2012
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Micro-motor too, simpler than the SDM ones.
I see Thanks!
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If they won't admit there is a problem with SDM now, what would make you comfortable with them telling you that SDM2 is improved and reliable? I'd have to take a wait and see attitude unless Pentax put their money where their mouth is and put into place a MUCH improved warranty at the same time.
I think you answered your own question . I too would not be comfortable purchasing without a substantial warranty period on a SDM lens.
(Please forgive the pessimistic tone but after having parts of the main board come out with an SD card on a new K5 I am just a little sceptical of Pentax's quality control)