Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,792
An end to SDM failure?

These are the words of one engineer, albeit one that personally is in charge of lens repair:

Jens Petersen on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
"One could say that the AF components used in these lenses was prone to failure from the get-go due to their design."

Well, as long as you guys admit it~

"Yes. The components used in the 16-50mm and 50-135mm lenses have been redesiged, and all lenses produced in 2012 or later should no longer fail."

Most important reply so far. Hopefully it's accurate.
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 75
Awesome, yes. Even makes me giddy as I figured they'd never fix, let alone address, the SDM issue as I've always wanted to stick with Pentax glass but once I read about the SDM I started looking toward third-party.

Reading that post actually made me set to contact BH and inquire about the 60-250, but then this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198534-how-sav...ml#post2102327


Even with the SDM redesigned, is it worth the $1800? I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard it lacks in sharpness for a lens of that price.
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote
Awesome, yes. Even makes me giddy as I figured they'd never fix, let alone address, the SDM issue as I've always wanted to stick with Pentax glass but once I read about the SDM I started looking toward third-party.

Reading that post actually made me set to contact BH and inquire about the 60-250, but then this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198534-how-sav...ml#post2102327


Even with the SDM redesigned, is it worth the $1800? I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard it lacks in sharpness for a lens of that price.
No. It's worth ~$1200-$1400 new. It's sharp enough - but at $1800, it just is overpriced.

09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
At least he answered the questions about the earlier SDM (Sudden Death Motor) design.
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Member
CRPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 254
So this means that If I were to send my DA* for repairs now, the new fail-proof components will be used to fix it and my DA* will be a perfect lens again??? How much can that cost?
09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
This just in: Jens Petersen sacked...
09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This just in: Jens Petersen sacked...
He is the engineer we deserve... not the engineer we need right now...

waitaminute, we do need him right now

09-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY/Germany
Posts: 1,183
Excellent, on several fronts. First, he admitted they were failure prone from the design, which I'm sure Pentax-Ricoh will try and clarify later to cloud it all up and blame it on a language barrier, or something. Next, if he knows it's a design flaw, then what about the thousands of people worldwide that are subsidizing Pentax's business, like Mercedes, with repairs that are extremely expensive on flawed items? This has been going on for years now, with the occasional person coming around and claiming the parts are updated, without a shred of proof.

Next, are they still throwing parts at the problem?

Is it time yet to start a consumer action against Pentax for these failures?
09-17-2012, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
Wait a second...There were some people here that said that these failures were just our imagination. That we there was no inherent design flaw. That people who complained were ruining Pentax's great name. Does this mean that possibly, just possibly, those people were wrong??
09-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Excellent, on several fronts. First, he admitted they were failure prone from the design, which I'm sure Pentax-Ricoh will try and clarify later to cloud it all up and blame it on a language barrier, or something. Next, if he knows it's a design flaw, then what about the thousands of people worldwide that are subsidizing Pentax's business, like Mercedes, with repairs that are extremely expensive on flawed items? This has been going on for years now, with the occasional person coming around and claiming the parts are updated, without a shred of proof.

Next, are they still throwing parts at the problem?

Is it time yet to start a consumer action against Pentax for these failures?
That is easy, blame it on the Hoya boys and send them the bill.
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,556
This all depends on what failure prone means... was it within industry standards for that type of equipment. After all we have seen that Pentax is pretty much tops for dependability. The fact that they didn't meet Pentax standards doesn't mean they didn't meet industry averages for that type of lens. I would be happy if Pentax compensated everyone that has a problem with these lenses, but once again, what you know, and what you think you know could be two different things. Not that it makes much difference. If Pentax knew they were failure prone.. they should have extended the warranty, if for no other reason just to maintain their reputation.

I guess the good thng for people wanting to buy now is that the problem has been solved. Makes you wonder though, are the price increases due to having to upgrade the SDM system? having botched the job the first time, you have to wonder, how much un-expected expense did that incur?
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,731
QuoteOriginally posted by PushTheRedButton Quote
Awesome, yes. Even makes me giddy as I figured they'd never fix, let alone address, the SDM issue as I've always wanted to stick with Pentax glass but once I read about the SDM I started looking toward third-party.

Reading that post actually made me set to contact BH and inquire about the 60-250, but then this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/198534-how-sav...ml#post2102327


Even with the SDM redesigned, is it worth the $1800? I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard it lacks in sharpness for a lens of that price.
ProDigital 2000 sell it for $1299
NEW smc Pentax DA* 60-250mm F4 ED SDM LENS K20D/K-7/K-5 0027075141247 | eBay
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This all depends on what failure prone means... was it within industry standards for that type of equipment. After all we have seen that Pentax is pretty much tops for dependability. The fact that they didn't meet Pentax standards doesn't mean they didn't meet industry averages for that type of lens. I would be happy if Pentax compensated everyone that has a problem with these lenses, but once again, what you know, and what you think you know could be two different things. Not that it makes much difference. If Pentax knew they were failure prone.. they should have extended the warranty, if for no other reason just to maintain their reputation.

I guess the good thng for people wanting to buy now is that the problem has been solved. Makes you wonder though, are the price increases due to having to upgrade the SDM system? having botched the job the first time, you have to wonder, how much un-expected expense did that incur?
The price increases effected many of the DA Ltd lenses etc and not just the DA* lenses. The warranty should be at least 3 years on a DA* lens anyway. I am certain Nikon would have fixed the SDM failures regardless probably after warranty. I had them do it in the past.
09-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
psychdoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bham
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 943
Hmm...I have had my 50-135 lens for 2 years now. Since the sdm design had some kind of inherent flaw and mine has not failed so far, what does this mean? Oh, hey I forgot. I had purchased a 7 year warranty on that lens. I guess it means that if it has to be repaired maybe a whole new system can be put in.

However, it will be good to see whether this is true or not. How would people who are buying this lens new this year know if a lens was made in 2012 or not vs old stock?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, sdm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another SDM Failure--NOT! GeneV Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 08-15-2012 04:50 PM
What is a SDM failure like? slackercruster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-25-2012 01:18 PM
Beginnings of SDM failure? krypticide Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 08-01-2011 11:35 AM
Is this Pentax way of admitting SDM was a failure? mfdesalas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 49 12-28-2010 11:34 PM
SDM failure, camrea or lens? Thomas Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-10-2010 07:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top