Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,851
K-30 gets DxOMark'd

K-30 gets measured, reviewed by DxO:

DxOMark - Measurement

Scores 79 DxOMark score - same as the K-01. No surprises.

09-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-30 gets measured, reviewed by DxO:

DxOMark - Measurement

Scores 79 DxOMark score - same as the K-01. No surprises.
Thanks for the link. Among their "Cons" (of which there are only 2) was this gem:

"A dynamic range slightly inferior to that of the Pentax K-5"
09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 760
Thanks for the link. I had been waiting for this test, but thinking that the result would be close to what it is. APS-C sensors are topping out at around 80 as DXOMark scores the sensors, currently. This is a composite score of several factors - how much each is weighted I do not know. Plus or minus a few on the total score is probably of no real consequence, IMHO. The approximately 80 score for APS-C has remained at the top end since K-5 and D-7000 showed up in late 2010. Prior to K-5, the Kx and Kr were at 72, and before that the K10 and K20 were in mid-60's, K-7 was somewhat diappointing at 61. My K100dS was not tested, but if I "borrow" the D40 score, it would be in the mid-50's. So one can see that sensor makers improved over time. I have wondered if APS-C sensors have plateau'd out near 80, or there will be improvements any time soon. I think the sensor advances have given cameras real advantages that did not exist just a few years ago. But I'm not sure that every advance is always an improvement. I still think some of the K10 ISO 100 photos are among the "cleanest" I've seen - at least on the web, for example. Thanks for posting.
09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
I expect APS-C to improve in the next generation - but probably by not much more. Resolution is the last bit left: If we can get a 24MP APS-C sensor, remove the AA filter because of the smaller pixels, and somehow magically actually improve the low-light performance, and that would be the final form of APS-C.

Beyond that would probably just be minor improvements - and hopefully reduction in prices.

09-17-2012, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,851
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I have wondered if APS-C sensors have plateau'd out near 80, or there will be improvements any time soon.
Who knows when APS-C will plateau. Tech innovations - think for example Sony's backside-illuminated CMOS - have a habit of springing up and making past predictions about the future of sensor chip tech unreliable.

The APS-C DXO scores may go up above 80, for arguments sake, even if just one of the scoring variables sees a big increase as a result of some individual tech innovation.

So for example if someone figures out how to massively boost low-light sensitivity in APS-C, without doing anything much to improve colour-depth or DR above the K-5, the total DXO score could still shoot above 80.
09-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
Good to read and probably the exackt same sensor and processing unit as in the K-01. I think that is a fine set.
09-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who knows when APS-C will plateau. Tech innovations - think for example Sony's backside-illuminated CMOS - have a habit of springing up and making past predictions about the future of sensor chip tech unreliable.

The APS-C DXO scores may go up above 80, for arguments sake, even if just one of the scoring variables sees a big increase as a result of some individual tech innovation.

So for example if someone figures out how to massively boost low-light sensitivity in APS-C, without doing anything much to improve colour-depth or DR above the K-5, the total DXO score could still shoot above 80.
I quite agree. Remember that decades ago Bill Gates said, adamantly, that no PC would EVER need more than 640kb.
09-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY/Germany
Posts: 1,183
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the link. Among their "Cons" (of which there are only 2) was this gem:

"A dynamic range slightly inferior to that of the Pentax K-5"
So that means it's still got fantastic DR that's in or near FF territory?

09-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So that means it's still got fantastic DR that's in or near FF territory?
Yes, that's what was so funny about that remark. They rated the K-5 as the best in that regard and then they do a "Con" for Pentax's lower level camera being almost as good?? Wow, that's what I call reaching for a negative
09-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
13 EV dynamic range with a 12 bit camera is a quiet success, kudos to Pentax, just wondering what K-5 II s will be,
09-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,874
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I quite agree. Remember that decades ago Bill Gates said, adamantly, that no PC would EVER need more than 640kb.
Thy application program and data shall all fit in 640K of RAM. After all, it's ten times what you had on a CP/M machine. Keep holy this 640K of RAM, and clutter it not with device drivers, memory managers, or other things that might make thy computer useful.

When Gates said that in the early '80s he was right. But it showed an amazing lack of foresight.
09-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,874
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
13 EV dynamic range with a 12 bit camera is a quiet success, kudos to Pentax, just wondering what K-5 II s will be,
Why would the K-5 IIs be any different than the K-5 or the K-5 II? The AA filter affects sharpness, not DR.
09-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would the K-5 IIs be any different than the K-5 or the K-5 II? The AA filter affects sharpness, not DR.
AFAIK it does a bit.


http://www.go-ci.com/images/Anti-Aliasing%20Filter%20and%20Phase%20Match.pdf

Re: Stronger AA filter = More Dynamic Range?: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,258
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, that's what was so funny about that remark. They rated the K-5 as the best in that regard and then they do a "Con" for Pentax's lower level camera being almost as good?? Wow, that's what I call reaching for a negative
I would imagine the difference is a combination of the K5 having iso 80 and 14 bit versus 12 bit processing. Still, not sure how usable the one stop difference in dynamic range really is on the K5.
09-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,767
I'm just laughing as there have been howls to test the Oly OM-D at DXO Mark, and the Pentax K-30 review comes out first...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dxomark, k-30, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 40/2.8 XS reviewed by dxomark Laurentiu Cristofor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 06-10-2012 06:32 AM
K-01 DxoMark Review up Clarkey Pentax News and Rumors 54 04-13-2012 11:44 PM
DxOMark score sebastienva Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-04-2012 04:18 AM
DXOMark evaluates the 645D rawr Pentax News and Rumors 30 11-08-2010 02:59 PM
kr test su dxomark Gilles70 Pentax K-r 5 11-02-2010 07:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top