Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Lets not forget that Pentax A 135/1,8 was made in era of huge bright viewfinders, it would be quite an exercise to focus it properisly on apsc dslr, besides there arent many rave reviews on this lens. They try to sell it for 2000 USD because you cant find them, although I doubt anybody considers this reasonable money. Sony 135/1,8 is a nice lens but again, sony has fullframe.....there is no reason for such lens on aps-c, which is the case of Pentax. I think people from Pentax know who their customers are...
anyway Sigma is filling the gap for Pentax users providing fast great lenses like 85/1,4 50/1,4 and now 35/1,4....3 amigos from Sigma
I'm pretty sure Pentax will have a FF body in the next 2 years. Ricoh has been pretty consistent is saying where they want to go with the Pentax brand, and they can't get there without a FF body.

I'm also pretty sure Sigma will release a 135mm F/2 pretty soon and a 24mm F/1.4.

I'm just hoping we see some new HD F-DA* glass from Pentax as well. No more plastic fantastics.

12-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm just hoping we see some new HD F-DA* glass from Pentax as well. No more plastic fantastics.
And if they do (plastic fantastic) please, print the distance scale on the barrel. Even a cheap printed distance scale is beeter then none and it costs NOTHING. Oh, and Quick Shift. C'mon...
12-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm pretty sure Pentax will have a FF body in the next 2 years. Ricoh has been pretty consistent is saying where they want to go with the Pentax brand, and they can't get there without a FF body.

I'm also pretty sure Sigma will release a 135mm F/2 pretty soon and a 24mm F/1.4.

hopefully you are right with fullframe, i just hope that it would be good move for pentax as i like their products so far
12-30-2012, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It will be a bonus if ever Sigma offers the 35mm f/1.4 HSM in Pentax mount. How many Pentax users are prepared to spend on fast glass? Many will boldly proclaim that they will plonk money if it comes out. But let's have a reality check rather than talk about wishful thinking. For example, count the number of FA 31mm f/1.8 owners and it is pretty clear it still remains a small proportion of Pentax users. How many are even prepared to spend on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? A fast lens that has very high center sharpness but APS-C only. Not many. Or perhaps the DA* 55mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM... again not many. For the most part many Pentax users want good stuff but many are financially challenged... Even if Pentax does roll out a slew of new fast lenses, I'll bet a large proportion just won't be buying.

I'd buy a 135mm f/2 or faster if it was available. But that's not likely to happen because the number of Pentax users who can afford it is miniscule. No market, no lens...

Last edited by creampuff; 12-30-2012 at 08:41 PM.
12-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No they do pay licences.
I'm curious, how do you know that Tokina & Tamron pay license fees, while Sigma (allegedly) does not?

I did an admittedly brief search and all I found was statements from forum users. These could well just be perpetuating a myth. Like snake, I believe that would be a public legal issue if Sigma did something illegal.

As for compatibility issues, these can occur independently of the legality of using another company's technology. And from what I've heard Sigma has been doing a good job of upgrading lens chips, etc.

N.B. without Sigma's contributions, the K-mount lens line up would be a lot less attractive than it is.
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wonder how many guys here have ever seen and held this Sigma 35/1.4 lens (obviously in other camera mounts). Better find a shop and hold it for a while before you claim you want to carry one.

Sigma 35/1.4: 67mm filter, φ77x94mm, 665g
FA 31/1.8: 58mm filter, φ65x69mm, 345g
DA 35/2.4: 49mm filter, φ63x45mm, 124g

The Sigma 35/1.4 is almost as heavy as our DA*50-135 (685g)!

To me it's definitely a no no. I'd chose either the FA31 or the plastic wonder 35/2.4 over this HUGE Sigma 35/1.4 anytime
12-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #142
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just wonder how many guys here have ever seen and held this Sigma 35/1.4 lens (obviously in other camera mounts)
Count me in on that one.

But then again I tend to prefer lens such the Sigma 24-70 (fixed) f2.8, with it's somewhat above average filter size of 82mm. It's one of my two everyday lens'
12-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #143
Banned

There's no real alternative in a fast ~52mm eq in pentax anymore, without trying to source the FA35, which is a good lens, but not fast enough for some. There is certainly the FA31, which is only marginally faster than the 35 and has marginally different renditions, as test after test has proven. I guess if you're prioritizing, at this speed level, the size and weight, those are the two options. If not, and IQ and speed are the major concerns, then there is finally an alternative.

Also, there is, of course, the Sigma 30 1.4, which I think is a pretty maligned lens. It's really excellent, in my opinion and it does some amazing stuff in the hands of those that rely on skills over equipment.

12-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #144
Pentaxian

I have seen many sample images from this lens and have heard reports for colleagues that already own them. To be perfectly honest, this lens is just another "me too" 35mm f/1.4 sure it is sharp, but I find the rendering from this lens to be soulless. Not unlike the other two "pro" grade f/1.4 primes from sigma. As for a lens like this impacting upon the FA31? I don't think so. the FA limited lenses cater to a specific market - people who remember the lenses of yore and who take pleasure in using a lens with an actual aperture ring, the aesthetic of engraved DOF scales and the tactile response of damped manual focusing rings.
12-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #145
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have seen many sample images from this lens and have heard reports for colleagues that already own them. To be perfectly honest, this lens is just another "me too" 35mm f/1.4 sure it is sharp, but I find the rendering from this lens to be soulless. Not unlike the other two "pro" grade f/1.4 primes from sigma. As for a lens like this impacting upon the FA31? I don't think so. the FA limited lenses cater to a specific market - people who remember the lenses of yore and who take pleasure in using a lens with an actual aperture ring, the aesthetic of engraved DOF scales and the tactile response of damped manual focusing rings.
Let's wait and see what actual output from Pentax looks like. Until then, there is little merit to your post, unless, of course, it serves the purpose of adding extra padding to the FA31, as is often the case on these forums, especially in comparisons.

As for soulless, I disagree and on top of that, it's putting too much weight in the equipment over the skill and vision of a photographer using it.
12-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
As for soulless, I disagree and on top of that, it's putting too much weight in the equipment over the skill and vision of a photographer using it.
A valid point, and to a certain degree you are correct, there is much skill in what can be done technically and with PP to deliver a more spirited quality to images. Lens makers often have to deal with the diametrically opposed elements Contrast Vs Resolution, if you make a lens with lots of resolution the contrast from the lens isn't going to be spectacular. However if you build a lens with tons of contrast resolution will suffer. What makes a lens have character is how those two opposing elements are brought together.
12-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm curious, how do you know that Tokina & Tamron pay license fees, while Sigma (allegedly) does not?
Well multiple sources but I won't say the source is a Sigma guy (it's not, neither a competitor). So yes, that assertion may be challenged. Notice I was cautious.

I did an admittedly brief search and all I found was statements from forum users. These could well just be perpetuating a myth. Like snake, I believe that would be a public legal issue if Sigma did something illegal.
It very well could be perpetuating a myth, though I find no reason not to believe it is true. Strange other third party manufacturers do not have such compatibility problems. So either Sigma has no licenses or they can't produce a compatible tech using a license or they cut corners not implementing it fully. Chose the one you prefer.

License of course do exist and aren't free otherwise Zeiss wouldn't have waited for KA, F mounts to be free with their ZK, ZF lenses. Same with Samyang they came with the AE Nikon version later. Those do not need patents, they use the older manual versions of the bayonet (I dunno the situation of Canon mount Zeiss lenses)

As for being illegal, I do not know if it would legal or not. Probably it is legal. Let's use a close example: flash communication protocols. At least in the case of Pentax, it is NOT licensed, unless the rep was mistaken, I need to find the link of the interview but I'm pretty sure it came from a Pentax official (Pentax never licenses the flash protocols he said). It doesn't prevent Metz and Sigma (and others less known) to market such flash and yes, it causes compatibility problems here and there: the Sigma was very vocal years back and as for Metz, well USB is there for exactly that. Reverse engineering. What else?

As for compatibility issues, these can occur independently of the legality of using another company's technology. And from what I've heard Sigma has been doing a good job of upgrading lens chips, etc.
Well that's the thing, they need to rechip.

N.B. without Sigma's contributions, the K-mount lens line up would be a lot less attractive than it is.
Absolutely agree.
12-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #148
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well multiple sources but I won't say the source is a Sigma guy (it's not, neither a competitor). So yes, that assertion may be challenged. Notice I was cautious.

It very well could be perpetuating a myth, though I find no reason not to believe it is true. Strange other third party manufacturers do not have such compatibility problems. So either Sigma has no licenses or they can't produce a compatible tech using a license or they cut corners not implementing it fully. Chose the one you prefer.

License of course do exist and aren't free otherwise Zeiss wouldn't have waited for KA, F mounts to be free with their ZK, ZF lenses. Same with Samyang they came with the AE Nikon version later. Those do not need patents, they use the older manual versions of the bayonet (I dunno the situation of Canon mount Zeiss lenses)

As for being illegal, I do not know if it would legal or not. Probably it is legal. Let's use a close example: flash communication protocols. At least in the case of Pentax, it is NOT licensed, unless the rep was mistaken, I need to find the link of the interview but I'm pretty sure it came from a Pentax official (Pentax never licenses the flash protocols he said). It doesn't prevent Metz and Sigma (and others less known) to market such flash and yes, it causes compatibility problems here and there: the Sigma was very vocal years back and as for Metz, well USB is there for exactly that. Reverse engineering. What else?

Well that's the thing, they need to rechip.

Absolutely agree.
So it's a far-fetched, contrived, made up conspiracy theory that you didn't try to fact check?
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It will be a bonus if ever Sigma offers the 35mm f/1.4 HSM in Pentax mount. How many Pentax users are prepared to spend on fast glass? Many will boldly proclaim that they will plonk money if it comes out. But let's have a reality check rather than talk about wishful thinking. For example, count the number of FA 31mm f/1.8 owners and it is pretty clear it still remains a small proportion of Pentax users. How many are even prepared to spend on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? A fast lens that has very high center sharpness but APS-C only. Not many. Or perhaps the DA* 55mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 HSM... again not many. For the most part many Pentax users want good stuff but many are financially challenged... Even if Pentax does roll out a slew of new fast lenses, I'll bet a large proportion just won't be buying.

I'd buy a 135mm f/2 or faster if it was available. But that's not likely to happen because the number of Pentax users who can afford it is miniscule. No market, no lens...
I own the 31mm and the Sigma 50mm & 85mm. If the Sigma 35mm is better than the 31mm LTD I will buy it and sell my 31mm. If the 135mm F/2 is as good as the 85mm, I will buy it as well.

The reason there are so few Pentax users who will buy high end glass is because Pentax has stopped developing high end glass and those buyers have moved on to other systems. The only way to bring them back or attract new high end buyers it to start developing new high end glass. It will be a slow expensive process.
12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #150
Pentaxian

New high end glass, and new high end cameras. I agree, and I believe we'll see exactly that.
Well, it already started with the 560mm