Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Interesting point Digitalis. I've been using a K20D for several years and just picked up a K5ii last week. Haven't checked all my lenses yet, but so far the FA 43 Ltd, DA*50-135, and DA*300 are all spot-on. I was expecting to spend a lot of time with focus charts setting up this new camera for use, so this is a pleasant surprise!

01-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, of course some of us run our Pentax DSLRs right alongside film, so my Sigma 18/1.8 is kind of a lot of fun that way. But admittedly that's probably not the hugest market share.

One day I might 'content' myself with an FA 31. Just a touch slower than 1.4 at half the size.
I also still enjoy film bodies. One sad part of the specs on the Sigma site was that the Nikon and Pentax mounts will not have aperture rings. It's another vote for the FA 31, which would look and feel nice on both my K5 and LX. I still have my current workhorse, the FA 35/2.
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #168
Inactive Account

This would be an awesome lens. Love my Pentax 35 MM 2.4. I would buy this.
01-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Sorry to bump up this thread but i've just came across something:

Art | SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Yep, apparently Sigma re-did this lens into a beauty, with claims of improvement in optics (i hope.. even though i heard it's good enough..)
But in general, the supposedly new one sure looks BEAUTIFUL!! And oh, with that new AF-adjustment via USB function.

MFD seems to be @ 30cm now(for those who dislike this for the current version)
Aspherical element added (perhaps improving the complaint of border softness for the current version?)

Looks like i'm holding back to buy the current version and aim for this one!

*Then again, let's hope they put it out in K-mount too.

Last edited by SyncGuy; 01-30-2013 at 12:31 AM.
01-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #170

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Sorry to bump up this thread but i've just came across something:

Art | SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION

Yep, apparently Sigma re-did this lens into a beauty, with claims of improvement in optics (i hope.. even though i heard it's good enough..)
But in general, the supposedly new one sure looks BEAUTIFUL!! And oh, with that new AF-adjustment via USB function.

MFD seems to be @ 30cm now(for those who dislike this for the current version)
Aspherical element added (perhaps improving the complaint of border softness for the current version?)

Looks like i'm holding back to buy the current version and aim for this one!

*Then again, let's hope they put it out in K-mount too.
So far no K-Mount: Specs
02-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #171

Photos: Albums
Anyone know when this will be available in k mount?
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #172
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by melvis2 Quote
Anyone know when this will be available in k mount?
The 35/1.4? I handled one in Canon mount at a local camera shop. The salesman acted like I was from another planet when I told him I was using a Pentax. (His shop is pretty much Canon & Nikon.) A few minutes later I talked to him again, and he remarked, "Oh yea that's right, you shoot Olympus." Idiot. Anyway, nice lens, he said he could get one in Pentax mount, but I think it was just lip service. I've been on the B&H notification list for a while, but haven't heard anything yet.
02-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
The 35/1.4? I handled one in Canon mount at a local camera shop. The salesman acted like I was from another planet when I told him I was using a Pentax. (His shop is pretty much Canon & Nikon.) A few minutes later I talked to him again, and he remarked, "Oh yea that's right, you shoot Olympus." Idiot. Anyway, nice lens, he said he could get one in Pentax mount, but I think it was just lip service. I've been on the B&H notification list for a while, but haven't heard anything yet.
I have a feeling this is going to be like the 120-300mm f/2.8. It will be marked permanently as "New Item, Available for pre-order".

02-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #174
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
This is the exchange between me and Sigma on Twitter about this:

QuoteQuote:
Hey @Sigma_Photo when will the new 35mm 1.4 be released for #Pentax K mounts? Any weathersealing plans?
QuoteQuote:
We're sorry, we cannot comment on future release dates, but you'll be sure to hear it here first!
02-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #175
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
This is the exchange between me and Sigma on Twitter about this:
B&H told me the 35mm will be coming out because their buyer is already accepting pre-orders. They never took pre-orders for the 120-300mm or the macro lenses.

However there is no ETA. The earliest that we'll see is after March, they told me, and that likely also applies to the 17-70mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I hate to burst your bubble but the original Sigma 30mm f/1.4 already has an aspherical element in its design - and a badly polished aspheric at that*. Personally I don't think they are going to improve the image quality in the corners all that much with the newer lens, I would be happy if they did ( though not so happy for those who have to buy the new one, who would have been better off financially by just buying an FA31 instead). On the original lens the corners were absolute rubbish even at f/11, the FA31 could beat it in the corners at f/1.8.

*this is what caused the famous onion ring highlight bokeh.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-04-2013 at 05:14 PM.
02-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #177
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
B&H told me the 35mm will be coming out because their buyer is already accepting pre-orders. They never took pre-orders for the 120-300mm or the macro lenses.

However there is no ETA. The earliest that we'll see is after March, they told me, and that likely also applies to the 17-70mm.
I have no doubt it will come out. When and the final specs of the Pentax variant are the two questions.
02-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I hat to burst your bubble but the original Sigma 30mm f/1.4 already has an aspherical element in its design - and a badly polished aspheric at that*. Personally I don't think they are going to improve the image quality in the corners all that much with the newer lens, I would be happy if they did ( though not so happy for those who have to buy the new one, who would have been better off financially by just buying an FA31 instead). On the original lens the corners were absolute rubbish even at f/11, the FA31 could beat it in the corners at f/1.8.

*this is what caused the famous onion ring highlight bokeh.
Ah..! Now you're making me decide to jump on the current Sigma's sale.. LoL!
Oh well, then I guess I'll hope that the HSM will work for Pentax in the newer version.
And IF with HSM!
02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #179

Full info:
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM lens for Nikon DX cameras announced | Nikon Rumors
02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #180
Veteran Member

I bought the Sigma 35 F1.4 DG last Friday for my D800E's and returned it on Monday.

My reasons:

CONS
The foreground Bokeh rendering was just terrible and was very nervous and fractured, even when partially OOF.
The corners never got truly sharp.
It had less fringing than my AF-S 35/1.4G but had more corner CA.
Specular highlights toward the edges (2/3 out) were rendered as ellipses and rings when slightly OOF. These shapes never improved when stopped down.
Slightly OOF objects (even near the middle of the frame) had a horrid vibrating look to them
The focusing ring was 'sticky' and even though it eased a bit over the 3 days I had it it was still useless for making smooth micro manual adjustments

PROS:
Sharper in the center and over a larger area than my 35/1.4G at wider apertures
less colour fringing than my 35/1.4G
less longitudinal CA than my 35/1.4G
background Bokeh is on a par with the 35/1.4G
Great construction
great lens hood with a nice rubber grip

The deal breaker was the fractured foreground Bokeh, the corners and the way it draws slightly OOF specular highlights.

The lens would make a great portrait lens but just didn't cut it for landscape.

I didn't take any crop mode shots to get an idea of how it would work on a K-5 sorry.

I'll upload some shots when I've renewed my Flickr account in a few days.

Last edited by bossa; 02-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.