Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Give the quality and warranty that Sigma has been providing over the last couple of years, I think they have surpassed Pentax in optics. The innovation, the warranty, the selection, the quality..... right now Pentax has a lot o catching up to do.
We dunno that IMO.
What is most likely (and does not prevent what you wrote) is that Sigma got cash to use while, as we all know, Pentax had none. Surely not for high grade lenses. Zero under Hoya. Not a cent. This could change slowly now (hope it does).

12-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
We dunno that IMO.
What is most likely (and does not prevent what you wrote) is that Sigma got cash to use while, as we all know, Pentax had none. Surely not for high grade lenses. Zero under Hoya. Not a cent. This could change slowly now (hope it does).
When it comes to the number of high quality lenses that have been put on the market over the last few years Sigma has moved ahead of Pentax. That does not mean that Pentax can't catch back up or wont. I think over the next 3 years you will see a lot of new glass from Pentax. I just hope the quality is there and they can make some improvements to SDM.
12-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #108
Pentaxian

When it comes to the number of high quality lenses that have been put on the market over the last few years Sigma has moved ahead of Pentax. That does not mean that Pentax can't catch back up or wont. I think over the next 3 years you will see a lot of new glass from Pentax. I just hope the quality is there and they can make some improvements to SDM.
Agreed.
12-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #109

Sounds great!

12-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #110
Banned

When it comes to the number of high quality lenses that have been put on the market over the last few years Sigma has moved ahead of Pentax. That does not mean that Pentax can't catch back up or wont. I think over the next 3 years you will see a lot of new glass from Pentax. I just hope the quality is there and they can make some improvements to SDM
It's well past the point of Pentax ever being able to catch Sigma. Take a category; optics, construction of lens', cost, etc… Sigma wins on all of them. And no matter what anyone might want to label their lens focusing motors as - Pentax has has a number of issues with their sdm (on at least two lens'). When was the last time someone heard of a hsm issue? I'll take a faster focusing and more reliable hsm motor over anything Pentax has ever offered.

Plus there's also the fact that look at how many fullframes that Sigma has, as compared to the very slight numbers that Pentax has.

Given the lack of lens' released recently by Pentax, I also cannot see them getting much better
12-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #111
Pentaxian

When it comes to the number of high quality lenses that have been put on the market over the last few years Sigma has moved ahead of Pentax.
I agree.

Regarding the question who offers the more attractive lenses, overall, it is certainly a matter of priorities.

Pentax focuses on small glass and needs customers that do not mind that it is rather slow (an f/2.4 prime on APS-C just doesn't tickle my fancy).

Sigma produces fast f/1.4 glass and needs customers that do not mind the increased size (completely fine with me, if I wanted compact over everything, I'd be shooting Olympus, Panasonic, or something along these lines).
12-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree.

Regarding the question who offers the more attractive lenses, overall, it is certainly a matter of priorities.

Pentax focuses on small glass and needs customers that do not mind that it is rather slow (an f/2.4 prime on APS-C just doesn't tickle my fancy).

Sigma produces fast f/1.4 glass and needs customers that do not mind the increased size (completely fine with me, if I wanted compact over everything, I'd be shooting Olympus, Panasonic, or something along these lines).
Good point!

I bought the Sigma 30mm f1.4 at fire sale price, which I'm happy with for now, can't stomach £799 for a lens right now!

12-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
It's well past the point of Pentax ever being able to catch Sigma. Take a category; optics, construction of lens', cost, etc… Sigma wins on all of them. And no matter what anyone might want to label their lens focusing motors as - Pentax has has a number of issues with their sdm (on at least two lens'). When was the last time someone heard of a hsm issue? I'll take a faster focusing and more reliable hsm motor over anything Pentax has ever offered.

Plus there's also the fact that look at how many fullframes that Sigma has, as compared to the very slight numbers that Pentax has.

Given the lack of lens' released recently by Pentax, I also cannot see them getting much better
I think Pentax can return to being a company known for great optics. They just need to focus (no pun intended) on the right things. They will need to step outside of the cookie-cutter. If they are going to be known fro great primes them they need to do more than make the plastic fantastics. Re-design the LTD lenses with modern motors, coatings, and give people speed. Give me a D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 and a D-FA* 135mm F/1.8 with SDM-II. An excellent D-FA* 50mm F/1.2 and my Sigma 50mm F/1.4 is up for sale ASAP even if it is 2x+ the price of the Sigma. If there is one area that Pentax is behind, it is in fast, professional grade optics.

When Pentax brings the full-frame body back they will have an opportunity to design some top quality glass to go with it. If they do it right they can get back to being known for great glass. Hopefully Ricoh is putting the money into R&D.

If they come out with another $5,000 telescope, then it is probably time to move to Nikon.
12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #114
Banned

When Pentax brings the full-frame body back they will have an opportunity to design some top quality glass to go with it. If they do it right they can get back to being known for great glass. Hopefully Ricoh is putting the money into R&D
I think that there is a considerable amount going on behind the scenes of Pentax/Ricoh that we don't quite know about yet. and even though Sigma produces a truly incredible amount of optics and also cameras, that... I'll bet that Sigma would actually want to (and also benefit by) having Pentax do a fullframe. We've already seen the numbers of how many existing Pentax label lens' there are that are currently able to be used fullframe. Then add to that the ones that Sigma has had for years, and also the fact that they are catering a majority of their new lens towards fullframe - and also keeping very specific lines of their lens for the PK mount.

There's a lot to read in that between the lines.

Plus am I not the only one who noticed both unofficial chitchat type talk between Pentax and Sigma and also rather official talk at a recent conference in Germany??
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I think that there is a considerable amount going on behind the scenes of Pentax/Ricoh that we don't quite know about yet. and even though Sigma produces a truly incredible amount of optics and also cameras, that... I'll bet that Sigma would actually want to (and also benefit by) having Pentax do a fullframe. We've already seen the numbers of how many existing Pentax label lens' there are that are currently able to be used fullframe. Then add to that the ones that Sigma has had for years, and also the fact that they are catering a majority of their new lens towards fullframe - and also keeping very specific lines of their lens for the PK mount.

There's a lot to read in that between the lines.

Plus am I not the only one who noticed both unofficial chitchat type talk between Pentax and Sigma and also rather official talk at a recent conference in Germany??
If you are hinting at rebadged Sigma lenses I think it would be a fantastic idea for Pentax.

Unlike the rebadged Tamron 18-270mm, I would be extremely excited about rebadged Sigma lenses. Suddenly, Pentax would have the best 35mm f/1.4 lens out there. An excellent 70-200mm f/2.8, a 120-300mm f/2.8, a 180mm f/2.8 macro... etc.

Now I know it's a bit of a stretch (even for me) but hear me out on this bit of speculation:

The big gap in Sigma's lineup is on the wide end. They don't have anything that can match the excellence of their newer primes and zooms. So if Pentax was going to use Sigma lenses, they would have to develop their own ultra wide lens. And what do we see on the roadmap? A ~12-24mm lens!

I rest my (extremely weak) case.
12-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Sigma know they have some great lenses, they're not about to let other companies re-badge them. No-one would buy them anyway, as Pentax would add at least $200 to the price.
12-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Sigma know they have some great lenses, they're not about to let other companies re-badge them. No-one would buy them anyway, as Pentax would add at least $200 to the price.
Well those lenses aren't available in Pentax mount anyway so there is nothing to lose for Sigma if Pentax picks up some of the costs. Licensing deals can be extremely lucrative.

But it's all wild speculation at this point.
12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
...I would be extremely excited about rebadged Sigma lenses.
I wouldn't since I'd rather use these lenses with their original Sigma branding, i.e., without the Pentax added.

Last edited by Class A; 12-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
12-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I wouldn't since I'd rather use these lenses with their original Sigma branding, i.e., without the Pentax added.
If they had weather sealing to them and kept the 3 year Sigma warranty.... Right now Sigma has a better warranty and (sad to say) their service is faster and better..... I would love for my Sigma 50 and 85 to have weather sealing, and I would love for Pentax to adopt HSM over SDM.......
12-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #120
Pentaxian

If they had weather sealing to them and kept the 3 year Sigma warranty.... Right now Sigma has a better warranty and (sad to say) their service is faster and better..... I would love for my Sigma 50 and 85 to have weather sealing, and I would love for Pentax to adopt HSM over SDM.......
As long as Sigma doesn't pay licences and reverse engineer others mounts, not a single OEM will ever use a Sigma design. This is just obvious.
You may see this as stupid but why would anyone feed a company who doesn't play by the rules with you in the first place ?

This is a sad situation but unless Sigma changes its practices, there's no solution here.