Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Deriding them? I just classified myself as one of them.
But I see such a lack a faith in your posts, you can't possibly be one of them.

09-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But I see such a lack a faith in your posts, you can't possibly be one of them.
heh, trust me it takes a ton of faith reacting to the current market and not selling my K-5 or my FA glass. I really don't want Pentax to go away, that's why I care so (too) much. my fingers are bloody from being crossed.
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
D3200? DxO already rated its sensor just as good as the K-5's. I'm sure a 24mp D8000 is right around the corner as well.
I hadn't seen that yet - better than I expected given some of the reports on the D3200.

But if you compare it closely with their tool, you'll see that it doesn't match neither K-5 nor NEX-7 at ISOs above 3200 (D3200 noise @ ISO 4000 is a little worse than K-5 @ ISO 6400 - actually I would have missed a few shots yesterday, then, since they were shot at ISO 4000, and skin tones were just at the limit of the acceptable).
09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Maybe I'm different but with anything technological I tend to wait for 2 or 3 generations to pass before I upgrade anything, as the differences between one generaion and the next tend to be too small to be significant. So no K-5II for me unless I somehow break my K-5 and I await the next major development (hopefully by this time next year) with interest.

I think the K-5II will be attractive though for people who haven't yet gone K-5 or who need a 2nd body, and if Ricoh can get them back into the major stores, that could be a lot of people! Doing that quickly is far more important to Pentax's future than 24MP or FF IMO.
I agree with you, and this K-5II update is particularly minor. Nobody came to Pentax for its blazing AF in the first place.

if Ricoh could get Pentax in more stores that would amazing, and again I agree with you, far more important overall than an MP bump. but alas, it's a little scary knowing that Adorama here in NYC had been acting as Ricoh's sole distributor for the GR cameras in the US in recent years. It's a major store, but it was still just a store.

09-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

D3200? DxO already rated its sensor just as good as the K-5's. I'm sure a 24mp D8000 is right around the corner as well.

Maybe you're right, but if Pentax was waiting for that sensor I wouldn't think they go through the trouble of releasing two cameras destined for such short retail lives. I'd certainly be pissed as a customer if I bought a K-5II in October just to see a 24mp K-3 announced in January.
"Short retail life" is a non-issue. The sensor is the same, the processor is the same. The AF is the one already in the K30, and removing the anti-aliasing filter cost nothing. For all effects, it's just another run of K-5 with tweaked specs, it's not a new camera.

From what I understand, there aren't many K-5 on shelves, so people hunting for a used/discounted K-5 will have the chance to get a brand new, tweaked K-5 instead. That makes all the sense in the world.
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I hadn't seen that yet - better than I expected given some of the reports on the D3200.

But if you compare it closely with their tool, you'll see that it doesn't match neither K-5 nor NEX-7 at ISOs above 3200 (D3200 noise @ ISO 4000 is a little worse than K-5 @ ISO 6400 - actually I would have missed a few shots yesterday, then, since they were shot at ISO 4000, and skin tones were just at the limit of the acceptable).
yeah i did notice that, but Pentax implemented that Sony sensor in the K-5 better than Nikon and even Sony itself, imagine what they could've done with this one. pretty minor hit for 50% more pixel count regardless. a boy can dream.
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
"Short retail life" is a non-issue. The sensor is the same, the processor is the same. The AF is the one already in the K30, and removing the anti-aliasing filter cost nothing. For all effects, it's just another run of K-5 with tweaked specs, it's not a new camera.

From what I understand, there aren't many K-5 on shelves, so people hunting for a used/discounted K-5 will have the chance to get a brand new, tweaked K-5 instead. That makes all the sense in the world.
I hope you're right.
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM - 6 Likes   #53
Lens Buying Addict

1. Did anyone really think Pentax would announce a FF this fall?
  2. Did anyone really think Pentax would show a FF prototype (even under glass) this fall?
  3. Does anyone really listen to interviews?
    1. A FF will need to be different and economically viable for us to bring forward. - Feb
    2. Pentax wants to re-hire engineers released by Hoya. - Dec
    3. Ricoh consolidates all consumer products under Pentax Ricoh Imaging (and B2B under its own division) globally - Feb
      1. That was just 6 +/- months ago
    4. Ricoh wants to compete with Canon - Dec
    5. Ricoh wants Pentax to offer a professional camera / camera line - Jan
  4. Does anyone listen to Adam? (and to others, from time to time)
    1. Something big and exciting is coming. - Sept.
  5. Does anyone look at history, calendars and understand the importance of anniversaries?
    1. 1980 = 60 years + 1 year
    2. 2013 = 60 years + 1 year
  6. Noboru Akahane, President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan today announced several management changes at its U.S. subsidiary, PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, based in Denver, Colorado.

Current president, Ned Bunnell, will retire effective September 30th. “We appreciate Ned’s considerable contributions and leadership of the PENTAX operations in the U.S. over the past 7 years. He has helped revitalize the PENTAX brand and re-establish our relationship with key retailers both in the photo specialty channel and larger national chain stores and we wish him well,” said Mr. Akahane.

Effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane will be appointed President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION in addition to his current role as president of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan. (The Big Dog is taking charge of the biggest market in the world.)
Also effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane announced the appointment of James Malcolm as Executive Vice President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS. Mr. Malcolm will report directly to Mr. Akahane and he will be responsible for the leadership and operations of the U.S. subsidiary.

Most recently Mr. Malcolm has been working with Ricoh Company, Ltd. in Japan on the post-acquisition integration of PENTAX on a global basis. His insight and experience have set the direction and provided the vision needed to initiate management changes, including compliance with merger strategies.
(The enforcer is taking charge of Denver).

I suggest rumors of the demise of Pentax are greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-18-2012 at 07:40 PM.
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. Did anyone really think Pentax would announce a FF this fall?
  2. Did anyone really think Pentax would show a FF prototype (even under glass) thisn fall?
  3. Does anyone really listen to interviews?
    1. A FF will need to be different and economically viable for us to bring forward. - Feb
    2. Pentax wants to re-hire engineers released by Hoya. - Dec
    3. Ricoh consolidates all consumer products under Pentax Ricoh Imaging (and B2B under its own division) globally - Feb
      1. That was just 6 +/- months ago
    4. Ricoh wants to compete with Canon - Dec
    5. Ricoh wants Pentax to offer a professional camera / camera line - Jan
  4. Does anyone listen to Adam? (and to others, from time to time)
    1. Something big and exciting is coming. - Sept.
  5. Does anyone look at history, calendars and understand the importance of anniversaries?
    1. 1980 = 60 years + 1 year
    2. 2013 = 60 years + 1 year
  6. Noboru Akahane, President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan today announced several management changes at its U.S. subsidiary, PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION, based in Denver, Colorado.

Current president, Ned Bunnell, will retire effective September 30th. “We appreciate Ned’s considerable contributions and leadership of the PENTAX operations in the U.S. over the past 7 years. He has helped revitalize the PENTAX brand and re-establish our relationship with key retailers both in the photo specialty channel and larger national chain stores and we wish him well,” said Mr. Akahane.

Effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane will be appointed President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION in addition to his current role as president of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan. (The Big Dog is taking charge of the biggest market in the world.)
Also effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane announced the appointment of James Malcolm as Executive Vice President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS. Mr. Malcolm will report directly to Mr. Akahane and he will be responsible for the leadership and operations of the U.S. subsidiary.

Most recently Mr. Malcolm has been working with Ricoh Company, Ltd. in Japan on the post-acquisition integration of PENTAX on a global basis. His insight and experience have set the direction and provided the vision needed to initiate management changes, including compliance with merger strategies.
(The enforcer is taking charge of Denver).

I suggest rumors of the demise of Pentax are greatly exaggerated.

Well said Monochrome...
09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #55
Veteran Member

heh, trust me it takes a ton of faith reacting to the current market and not selling my K-5 or my FA glass. I really don't want Pentax to go away, that's why I care so (too) much. my fingers are bloody from being crossed.
my fault, let me rephrase, i really don't want Pentax to go away from my household

Last edited by illdefined; 09-18-2012 at 01:51 PM.
09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #56
Pentaxian

That's how little faith you have (and, coincidentally, you even seem to refuse positive information flowing from their direction)

Relax, Pentax has a plan. Or, if you secretly root for their competition: despair, Pentax has a plan!
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #57
Veteran Member

(The enforcer is taking charge of Denver).[/B]

This last bit of information does cheer me up, because with all respect due to Ned, Pentax America never seemed to have a clue what Pentax Japan was doing.
09-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #58
Lens Buying Addict

Does anyone look at history, calendars and understand the importance of anniversaries? 1980 = 60 years + 1 year 2013 = 60 years + 1 year
Here's another take on the same idea:
Why it is 2013
09-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
The fact of it is, the K-5 is two years old and it's still the best APSC DSLR to date. If the AF is more accurate in the K-5II then what couldn't be better??? You're not going to find another camera as small and tough for the price... And the IQ quite frankly is stunning—I'm still amazed every time at the DR my K-5 is able to pull off...
"The best" is relative. A 7D is better in some aspects, but not in image quality (where it is not that much back, really -- lab results are one thing, actual pictures another).
And a D7000 isn't too bad, either.
09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #60
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Bravo, monochrome. Nicely put.