Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane will be appointed President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION in addition to his current role as president of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan. (The Big Dog is taking charge of the biggest market in the world.)[/LIST]
Also effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane announced the appointment of James Malcolm as Executive Vice President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS. Mr. Malcolm will report directly to Mr. Akahane and he will be responsible for the leadership and operations of the U.S. subsidiary.

Most recently Mr. Malcolm has been working with Ricoh Company, Ltd. in Japan on the post-acquisition integration of PENTAX on a global basis. His insight and experience have set the direction and provided the vision needed to initiate management changes, including compliance with merger strategies.
(The enforcer is taking charge of Denver).

I suggest rumors of the demise of Pentax are greatly exaggerated.

Good information sir, I haven't read all of these "demise" threads, but has anyone actually looked at Mr. Malcom's background. He has worked in Marketing for Sony and for Leaf, and he is a photographer. Sony is a marketing machine, just what Pentax needs.

09-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #62
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Right. This is the bottom as far as it goes with product selection/feature sets with Pentax. It should go up from HERE.

I suspect those working at/for Pentax in the past year have had many 'huh?!' moments trying to un-do the damage HOYA inflicted.

Next year will be a better indication of the health of Pentax than this year ever could. Not many enjoy waiting. However, It seems like it might favor us this time around.
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Please read this Post from falconeye, who (with Adam) spoke at length with James Malcolm this afternoon at PK.
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But aren't they loud and clear? There are no hints of FF from Pentax (that doesn't mean it won't come one day). The roadmaps clearly says APS, Q system and 645. Ricoh have said that one of their main priorities is MF digital probably the source for the statements of more professional products from Pentax.
I sincerely believe that People who want FF should go to those who offers them; Pentax haven't promised one (that doesn't mean it won't come)
Isn't their stated commitment to three mounts, not three sensor sizes?

09-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Good information sir, I haven't read all of these "demise" threads, but has anyone actually looked at Mr. Malcom's background. He has worked in Marketing for Sony and for Leaf, and he is a photographer. Sony is a marketing machine, just what Pentax needs.
Great follow-on!!
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Having purchased and used the Pentax K7 and K5, Nikon D3X and the Canon 5D Mark 2(and played with the Nikon 3200 - a co-workers camera) here is our take: ... Now, will someone please post about how the new K52 AF works compared to the K5????
Thanks for sharing your experience with Pentax, Nikon, and Canon. Very interesting.

Regarding your question: Apparently not even Pentax Europe knows how well the K-5 II AF module performs.
I'm confident, however, that it will be a noticeable improvement over the K-5's AF module. I'm sure we'll see test reports soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
The sensor is the same, the processor is the same. The AF is the one already in the K30, and removing the anti-aliasing filter cost nothing. For all effects, it's just another run of K-5 with tweaked specs, it's not a new camera.
I understand the K-5 II's sensor is not exactly the same as the K-5's. It is a new version (potentially the same as in the K-30).
How do you know that the K-5 II's AF module is the same as in the K-30? Again, I understand this is not the case. For instance, I do not believe that the K-30 has the more accurate f/2.8 AF areas.
09-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
[LIST=1]
Current president, Ned Bunnell, will retire effective September 30th. “We appreciate Ned’s considerable contributions and leadership of the PENTAX operations in the U.S. over the past 7 years. He has helped revitalize the PENTAX brand and re-establish our relationship with key retailers both in the photo specialty channel and larger national chain stores and we wish him well,” said Mr. Akahane.
Pretty much predictable. And once again although I have nothing personal against nice Ned, I believe this is a right move too. He (just like Hoya) did not have any hunger for the NA market share.
09-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #68
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'll be happy if they are rolling out quality products. If the same junk as K-5 and K-7 I am out, until they get a hand on QC.

09-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Right. This is the bottom as far as it goes with product selection/feature sets with Pentax. It should go up from HERE.
Not really, the bottom was CP+ - Photokina is already quite an improvement, and the next CP+ will be even better
09-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
...If the same junk as K-5 and K-7 I am out...
I guess I don't know which K-5 and K-7 you're talking about. It must be some other brand, 'cause the Pentax K-5 and K-7 that I know of is far from junk!
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #71

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree with some of the earlier posts in that I am still in the market for a camera, and having spent months trying to decide between a K-5 and a K-30, this new k-5II will probably win out when I finally make the move. Another point regarding the marketing of Pentax...if it weren't for the fact that I tend to obsessively research big purchases like this, I may never have even heard about the K-5 originally. If I were one of those who walks into a store and relies on the salespersons recommendation, I would not even be considering a Pentax at all, since there is apparently only one retailer (a small local company with only 2 or 3 stores and none within 15 miles of me) that carries Pentax in the entire Washington D.C. metro area. In fact, unless you go to a camera shop (and not Best Buy, etc). the salespeople generally don't even know Pentax still is in business, much less making high quality products. The point is, the comments I have heard so far from the new ownership/management are promising and seem to indicate a real change in direction, and hopefully will lead to greater awareness/presence/market share. If that happens, and Ricoh recognizes it, they will then put even more resources into further developing the brand and product lines. Just a thought....Also, could someone please enlighten me on the significance of this quote:

Does anyone look at history, calendars and understand the importance of anniversaries?
  1. 1980 = 60 years + 1 year
  2. 2013 = 60 years + 1 year
Thanks.
09-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #72
Pentaxian

@hcarvalhoalves: I found proof that the K-30 and the K-5 II do not share the same AF module.
09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by toukan Quote
Also, could someone please enlighten me on the significance of this quote: Does anyone look at history, calendars and understand the importance of anniversaries?

1980 = 60 years + 1 year
LX is Roman Numerals for 60. The ground-breaking LX SLR camera was issued in 1980, the year afer the sixtieth anniversary of the formation of Asahi Optical Company (1919) in honor of the anniversary (60 years + 1 year).

2013 = 60 years + 1 year
2013 is sixty years plus one year after the release of the Asahiflex camera in May, 1952. The Asahiflex was the first commercially viable [EDIT:] pentaprism single lens reflex camera and revolutionized the enthusiast photographic market - eventually spelling the demise of the consumer Rangefinder. On the basis of that anniversary (and the history) 2013 would be a appropriate time to at least announce a FF digital camera, if not actually release one, especially if there is some cutting edge technological development associated with the camera (don't discount that possibility).
Thanks.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2012 at 04:48 PM.
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

You beat me to it. This and the lack of the AA in the K-5 II/s interests me as a macro body. The Canon 60Da got my attention but was limited in application. I think this new II/s will shake it out for pocket change.
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #75
Site Supporter

LX is Roman Numerals for 60. The ground-breaking LX SLR camera was issued in 1980, the year afer the sixtieth anniversary of the formation of Asahi Optical Company (1919) in honor of the anniversary (60 years + 1 year).

2013 is sixty years plus one year after the release of the Asahiflex camera in May, 1952. The Asahiflex was the first commercially viable pentaprism single lens reflex camera and revolutionized the enthusiast photographic market - eventually spelling the demise of the consumer Rangefinder. On the bsis of that anniversary (and the history) 2013 would be a appropriate time to at least announce a FF digital camera, if not actually release one, especially if there is some cutting edge technological development associated with the camera (don't discount that possibility).
I like history and hope these new guys get it.