Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gazonk - well said! I like the new products and don't care that they are more evolutionary than revolutionary. I can see myself buying a 5IIs next year and selling off my trusty backup camera (K20). While I was a bit dismayed about the release of the D600, the announcement of the Sony FF products and 6D basically says to me that everyone will have to have a prosumer FF camera at some point soon (within a year or two). From this point on, I'm not reading any threads about rumors, proposals, rants, wishes, hopes for a FF Pentax until I see a press release from Pentax, why bother? I'm not waiting to buy one and continue to enjoy my K-5.

09-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have believed for a while that Pentax would never come with a FF with mirror. However, I expected their MILC FF before some other competitors.
Nowadays and after $2000ish FF bodies from Canikon it's really harder for Pentax to attract anybody out of Pentaxians to a Pentax FF. You don't think they can sell it cheaper than what the big players -with much less R&D cost per unit- are doing. However, the MILC FF still can be a different story.

p.s. I personally am not waiting or wishing for an FF; if I were, I had already bought the D800.
09-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I would have liked to have had more product announcements for sure, especially a K-3, whether full frame or not. I'm dissapointed that for the enthusiast DSLR user, all we got was a K-5 with focus tweaks. You always want more. But by this chart, it does not seem like the other companies had a large number of new products either.

Report from Photokina 2012: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2012, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

The fact of it is, the K-5 is two years old and it's still the best APSC DSLR to date. If the AF is more accurate in the K-5II then what couldn't be better??? You're not going to find another camera as small and tough for the price... And the IQ quite frankly is stunning—I'm still amazed every time at the DR my K-5 is able to pull off...

09-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
The fact of it is, the K-5 is two years old and it's still the best APSC DSLR to date. If the AF is more accurate in the K-5II then what couldn't be better??? You're not going to find another camera as small and tough for the price... And the IQ quite frankly is stunning—I'm still amazed every time at the DR my K-5 is able to pull off...
Yes, the K-5II is still favorably competitive with APS-C cameras from 2-3 years ago. and will stay that way for another four months until January, when Nikon and Canon release the next D8000 and 70D : (

Sorry everybody, the K-5II isnt a touchdown, it's a first down.

Last edited by illdefined; 09-18-2012 at 08:30 AM.
09-18-2012, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote

I checked your flickr site and I see you also use a D700 which is of full frame in case someone didn't know. This should be a lesson for some people here.

I'm not against FF cameras. I'm just against making excuses for lack of technique and knowledge.
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I'm gonna call it "sipping from the full frame cool-aide". I personally don't want and wouldn't buy a Pentax FF. Why? becuase i have alot of full frame glass and LOVE the fact that my APS-C sensor ignores the inherent flaws of extreme image corners. Even with my 12-24, the field curvature is slightly reduced becuase the sensor never sees the edges. It's like eating the middle of mom's apple pie and getting away with it. Who wants the crust anyway?
And for those whining about video, go get a darn video camera, this is an SLR, a still picture taking machine, i want the best bang for my still image i can get. I would bet that's why the K30 trumps the K5 in video, because you can only do so much with something before the price gets out of line and the casual shooter wants a little bit of everything.
The camera I see so many people wanting Pentax to come out with would be 3-4000. Why? So you don't have to have someone with a 1D walk up to you with no lens cap on and brag about all the crooked horizon images he just took at 1600 iso while trying to convince you that you are somehow inferior becuase we haven't succumbed to the Canikon cult?

09-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Good first post gazonk! With the "II/s" update the K-5 will go on as one of the best crop-cameras out there. In fact, I guess the camera shows much of Pentax tech-level for the moment. For an FF, I expect basically a larger sensor and maybe an increased number of AF points compared to K-5 II/s with some features from the K-30 like peaking of course.
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is doomed - 2012 edition.
09-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Yes, the K-5II is still favorably competitive with APS-C cameras from 2-3 years ago. and will stay that way for another four months until January, when Nikon and Canon release the next D8000 and 70D : (

Sorry everybody, the K-5II isnt a touchdown, it's a first down.
Well, no argument there... But what will Pentax put n the market by then? (CP+). Do you seriously think the K-5II is the model for the next 2-3 years???
09-18-2012, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kavolis Quote
Agree with gazonk.

Most of threads on PF makes me think that lots (or too much) of guys here thinks that a better camera will make their pictures look better (I always thought it's the lens, when it's a matter of gear). Do you really think so? Or it's not even photography is most important, when you want a better camera (sure, cameras and other stuff is just a toys for big boys in some cases ? Looks like the only thing is wrong with K5-II(s) - it's not a FF camera (so it's just not a cool toy) )
Yep, the limitation on my picture quality is not my K5, which I am completely happy with.

It's me that needs an upgrade!
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Completely agree with Gazonk. The K-5 is a wonderful camera, and if the K-5 II is an improvement, I want one!

Today I fell over, and my K-5 with 15mm Limited bounced along the ground for a bit. Apart from a little gouge in the battery grip, everything was fine and dandy. I thanked heaven I had such a tough camera, and I wondered if a D600 or D6 would have been so unscathed. Just a thought.
09-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Well, no argument there... But what will Pentax put n the market by then? (CP+). Do you seriously think the K-5II is the model for the next 2-3 years???
That's the problem right? It might've been if it was bumped up to 24mp and a faster processor like the D8000 and 70D surely will be in January. The K5II already has a sell-by date, and Pentax won't release another APS-C camera so soon after the K5II....

This all leads me to believe a 24mp Pentax FF is coming at CP+. I know, I know I'd be shocked if it (and lenses) would be ready so soon but it's really the only reason I can fathom for Pentax not going 24mp with the K5II. especially considering the cheaper weathersealed, two-dial K30 is at 16mp already and the CaNikon APS-C update is looming.

We all aspired for a Pentax FF, but what we really expected (and have the lenses for) from PhotoKina 2012 was a bumped up 24mp K-5. There's got to be a good reason we didn't get it, and it's not image quality. DxO says its a great sensor...
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have cheered up by checking out images from the D800e.
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Denial and wishful thinking - that is what I see.

But, that is ok. There is nothing wrong with it. It is purely human nature.

It is rathe like accepting one's own death. You deny it first, then you get angry. They you try to bargain, saying that K5II is fantastic. When you see nothing works, you get depressed and stopped shooting. In the end, we accept it. Yep, no FF for now.