Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Having purchased and used the Pentax K7 and K5, Nikon D3X and the Canon 5D Mark 2(and played with the Nikon 3200 - a co-workers camera) here is our take: we had the D3x for around 3yrs,and the Canon for less than 1yr. If we look at the prints made to 20x30 or smaller we could not tell the difference from the D3X and the K5, and we are both very fussy. The D3X does allow more cropping, and that is really helpful. The Canon was an also ran: the shadows have weird pattern noise as well as a lot of chroma noise, and pictures of the 5D3 show it still has that. Also the 5D2 could not AF it's way out of a paper bag with the 1st years firmware, which I heard got better with the 2x firmware; but it was really awful and killed that system for us when considered with the pattern noise. The K5 has an incredible sensor, every bit the equal of the D3X one except for the MP count, and even if DXO says the D3X has better lower noise at high iso's I still do not see that. Now if you compare the Nikon 3200 sensor to the one in the K5 it may have a higher MP count, but has a lot more noise esp. starting at 3200 and above, IMHO not in the same league at all. I rather have the lower noise for churches and museums than the higher MP count, so I can see why Pentax kept the sensor MP the same in the K52. And sensor technology does march ahead: The K52 may have an improved sensor(albeit marginally) over the K5's. Someone on here was talking about the Nikon D3X sensor as being the same as the Sony Alpha 900 - that is completely false as I have used both cameras. The Nikon sensor was/is made by Sony, but was much better. Having owned the Nikon 24-70 2.8 lens, one of the fastest focussing lenses in the Nikon line, I say again that in good light the K5 does focus faster many times over the Nikon. Where if falls down in in low light, and I hope the K52 fixes that. For weddings, the Nikon just kills the K5: Nikon's firmware allows the camera to just about always find the bride or grooms eye and make that the sharpest part of the picture, when using the 51 point auto AF; you have to see it to believe it. Canon does not do that either. But on medium to distance AF, the K5 is often better at precision with fast glass. I can live with 11 AF points, if Pentax delivered on the low light part and it hunts less. We changed from the FF nikon because of having to carry all of those huge f2.8 zooms with the D3 size/weight body; Karen could not physically shoot with the thing. With the D600 Nikon that could change, but we like our current glass on the Pentax, and it's 7fps on the K5(the K7 is used as a car camera, so we always have one). Anyway, others will think different, and as we do not shoot sports I cannot comment on that, Now, will someone please post about how the new K52 AF works compared to the K5????

David

09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, although I expected something else from Pentax, it does make sense to do what they did. Canon issued firmware update for 7D and Nikon hasn't done anything (obvious yet) with D7000. The only newer camera in the segment is A77.

But having said that, after owning K-7, K-x and trying K-5 on numerous ocasion, I have to say that Pentax is still far behind with AF. 7D destroys any Pentax from the AF perspective and if Pentax to date and somehow I don't see K-5II changing this a lot...but I have to say that the s version has me thinking of coming back...
09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
We all aspired for a Pentax FF, but what we really expected (and have the lenses for) from PhotoKina 2012 was a bumped up 24mp K-5.
I think not.

Some of us aspired rather vocally for a FF (but many didn't and don't, least of all me) - and some of us expected a 24Mp K-5. Not those of us who are very happy with our K-5s though, and I think there are more of us than you might think.

I see those things as 'nice to have in the range for those who want them' but otherwise of little interest to me at the moment. I'm happy to give Ricoh time - a year's ownership is nothing in the grand scheme of DSLR development.

Last edited by Dave L; 09-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.
09-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
Pentaxian

We all aspired for a Pentax FF, but what we really expected (and have the lenses for) from PhotoKina 2012 was a bumped up 24mp K-5. There's got to be a good reason we didn't get it, and it's not image quality. DxO says its a great sensor...
Absolutely wrong; most people do not "aspire for a Pentax FF". And by the way, I wasn't expecting a 24MP K-5... who are those "we" you're representing?

09-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
Some of us aspired rather vocally for a FF (but many didn't and don't, least of all me) - and some of us expected a 24Mp K-5. Not those of us who are very happy with our K-5s though, and I think there are more of us than you might think.

I see those things as 'nice to have in the range for those who want them' but otherwise of little interest to me at the moment. I'm happy to give Ricoh time - a year's ownership is nothing in the grand scheme of DSLR development.
i love my K-5 too. so are you rushing to get the K-5II? me neither.

i think its a problem when Pentax faithful feel that way, much less any potential newcomers who know good 24mp APS-C is just around the corner (and already here at the entry level).
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Do we have to upgrade with each generation? I don't think so... but I will, very likely, buy a new Pentax camera next year. So what's the problem?
By the way, could you stop deriding those who refuse to join your whining, by calling them "Pentax faithful"? Thank you.
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Absolutely wrong; most people do not "aspire for a Pentax FF". And by the way, I wasn't expecting a 24MP K-5... who are those "we" you're representing?
Guess you havent noticed all the FF threads/Stickies on this site, kind of hard to miss.

Alright, what were you expecting from Pentax this Photokina then? Nothing? Yes, the K-5 is great, so was the K20D, but for better or worse, this is a fast moving industry.

09-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster

i think its a problem when Pentax faithful feel that way, much less any potential newcomers who know good 24mp APS-C is just around the corner (and already here at the entry level).
Are there any other reasonably good 24 mp APS-C cameras than the NEX-7 yet? For all we know, Pentax may even have an almost-ready K-3 APS-C, but they may be waiting for an updated version of that sensor in order to get the quality they want. Maybe the K-5 II s is currently a better compromise of IQ and resolution?
09-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Do we have to upgrade with each generation? I don't think so... but I will, very likely, buy a new Pentax camera next year. So what's the problem?
By the way, could you stop deriding those who refuse to join your whining, by calling them "Pentax faithful"? Thank you.
Deriding them? I just classified myself as one of them.
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Do we have to upgrade with each generation? I don't think so...
Not at all, I waited a long time before I made the K10D -> K-5 upgrade - but the good offers this year combined with the fact that my son and wife were happy to get the K10D finally made me upgrade. I think 4,5 years was an awfully short time, after all I waited a quarter of a century before upgrading from LX to K10D
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Are there any other reasonably good 24 mp APS-C cameras than the NEX-7 yet? For all we know, Pentax may even have an almost-ready K-3 APS-C, but they may be waiting for an updated version of that sensor in order to get the quality they want. Maybe the K-5 II s is currently a better compromise of IQ and resolution?
D3200? DxO already rated its sensor just as good as the K-5's. I'm sure a 24mp D8000 is right around the corner as well.

Maybe you're right, but if Pentax was waiting for that sensor I wouldn't think they go through the trouble of releasing two cameras destined for such short retail lives. I'd certainly be pissed as a customer if I bought a K-5II in October just to see a 24mp K-3 announced in January.
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
After seeing the K-01/K-30, I just can't get excited over any camera that doesn't have "focus peaking". That could have been a killer feature for the K-5. The higher video would have been nice also.
I really find it strange that they didn't include a mic jack for the K-30 while adding one to the K-01. Really weird and random.
I'm not waiting for Photokina 2014. I don't know how much longer I'll wait, but it won't be 2 years.
So there is both good and sad in your post.
Let's think Canon and Nikon, with all their "know-how" in FF production, have taken 2 years to produce an answer to Sony's cheap Alpha 850 : you should better wait until Photokina 2013 to make your decision.
So will I.
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photokina is every 2 years. Next one is 2014.
09-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Arghhh, sorry for Kina : it will have to be in betwin.
09-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm different but with anything technological I tend to wait for 2 or 3 generations to pass before I upgrade anything, as the differences between one generaion and the next tend to be too small to be significant. So no K-5II for me unless I somehow break my K-5 and I await the next major development (hopefully by this time next year) with interest.

I think the K-5II will be attractive though for people who haven't yet gone K-5 or who need a 2nd body, and if Ricoh can get them back into the major stores, that could be a lot of people! Doing that quickly is far more important to Pentax's future than 24MP or FF IMO.