Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 01:41 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheer up!

I know it's a bit depressing that there's no FF even under glass at Photokina, and that the 645D II didn't show up either (but hey, the new Leica S hasn't got a new sensor either, we probably have to wait a little longer). But if you could just relax a little bit and have a closer look at the actual new products from Pentax, what's not to like? The K30 has just been out for a short while and has really impressed reviewers, and apparently also sells well. The K-5 II may seem very boring to us gear heads, but hey, it's one of the best cameras in the known universe made even better! In many ways the K-5 II is a better camera than the Canon 6D and even the D600. They probably can't compete at all with the silk-smooth low noise shutter/mirror of the K-5 II, the build quality is probably not quite the same, the max shutter speed is lower, for HDR geeks the K-5 is much better with 5-frame bracketing... the list goes on! (And of course the price is much lower)

What about the complaints about the Prime II in the K-5 II? I simply think that Prime M probably can't do 14 bit RAW, and of course it would be silly to introduce a K-5 II with less DR than K-5. The K-5 is the right camera if you want no compromises in still image IQ (I use my K-5 @ ISO 80 most of the time, it's just amazing how much you can do with those RAW files), the K30 is better for video. I see one bad decision from Pentax here, though: The K30 should have had a microphone jack.

09-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
gazonk; I totally agree with you.

I haven`t owned a newer camera since I bought the K10d one year before it was replaced by K20d.
Now I own both these two extraordinary cameras, they are really,really valuable tools and I`ve just grown more and more comfortable with them.

Growing as a more and more serious hobby photographer with ambitions, I don`t see that my old cameras are my limitations, and certainly a K5 would be an upgrade.
K5IIs would for me right now be the ULTIMATE upgrade and I look forward to the day I feel that I can justify this with my present economic status.

Way to go, Pentax Ricoh. For a job probably very well done and for giving us hope for more in the horizon. Most likely, we WILL se ff-cams with our proud logo on them sometime in the more or less near future.

Cheers from Norway
09-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I am happy with the K5IIs (not so much the K5II).
As TS have said. One of the best just got better.
Almost all the apparent complaints about the old K5 addressed (though I've never had the FF issues in low/tungsten light)
No one's got a better APS-C DSLR out there at this point, so in other words, the K5IIs is scheduled to be tops for the time being in its category.
The important things were looked into (ie. low light AF; AF sensitivity; AF accuracy).
These are great building blocks for any future camera.

FF onslaught?
Come'on! its still $2099 and not $1500 as many dreamed of.

The bit disappointing part is that ppl expect a more 'bragging rights' camera than a K5IIs.
We will have to wait for CP+ to see the future direction from Ricoh.

Last edited by pinholecam; 09-18-2012 at 02:24 AM.
09-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree. There is some good stuff in the Pentax line up. I still use a K10D but I will be setting my sights on a K-5 IIs when I can justify it. And I would not mind an X-5 for my everyday carry camera. I often need a camera when I am working and a DSLR with a few lenses is not always convenient.

09-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Against the background of announcements of Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Leica - Pentax looks pale.
Even Leica can offer 24 MP FF camera.
09-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hehe! 'even Leica can...' com'on, cheer up!

I am with you Gazonk nothing to be ashamed for! Besides now trend seems to be with small cameras + lenses. I'm looking both the Q10(should I put it here too) and K5II(s). They are great to begin with, now even better! W/o 'new cameras problems'. Same goes with SDM, other things. Pentax is going forward, the focus on quality rather than quantity. This is good for my money.
09-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On the other hand the upcoming Pentax FF would probably be much better than the current selection of new FF cameras. They've already played their cards, Pentax can learn from their mistakes and act accordingly.

However, Pentax needs to speak loud and clear about their future plans. The last thing we need is more PR and Marketing speak (lots of talk, no information). That may have worked in the past, but it doesn't work today.

09-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
After seeing the K-01/K-30, I just can't get excited over any camera that doesn't have "focus peaking". That could have been a killer feature for the K-5. The higher video would have been nice also.
I really find it strange that they didn't include a mic jack for the K-30 while adding one to the K-01. Really weird and random.

I understand that this wasn't Ricoh's choices but that doesn't lead to any confidence in the brand. They are the new owner and had the final say in what got green lighted for Photokina. Who's to say that we won't get a K-3 without a mic jack in 2013/2014. There's really no proof that they get it either.

Consider the rumor that the SDM was silently upgraded. Who gets responsibility and credit for that? Hoya? Ricoh? Did Ricoh announce that? or is that a taboo subject?
What about the lens pricing roller coaster?

I'm not waiting for Photokina 2014. I don't know how much longer I'll wait, but it won't be 2 years.
09-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #9

Agree with gazonk.

Most of threads on PF makes me think that lots (or too much) of guys here thinks that a better camera will make their pictures look better (I always thought it's the lens, when it's a matter of gear). Do you really think so? Or it's not even photography is most important, when you want a better camera (sure, cameras and other stuff is just a toys for big boys in some cases ? Looks like the only thing is wrong with K5-II(s) - it's not a FF camera (so it's just not a cool toy) )
09-18-2012, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #10

I'm not much of a blogger, thus I don't express my opinions here too often. But I read all posts on PF everyday.
I own K-5 with some great lenses and I am still under a great impression of this fantastic camera and its capabilities.
I do understand, how important it is for a system to have a really representative flagship, like FF, but ... come on! Our K-5's are fantastic instruments and I bet that most of the users don't push them to the limit.
I wait patiently for new Pentax anoncements. I think, that sooner or later Pentax/Ricoh will deliver FF. If somebody can't wait that long, I think there are many other options. Don't hesitate! I'm wating for your half-priced Limiteds and *
09-18-2012, 03:20 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Siekierus_pl Quote
... Don't hesitate! I'm wating for your half-priced Limiteds and *
Good point In Lithuania you allready can buy a second hand K5 for ~565-700$. Unfortunatelly I allready have one.
09-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think some of the now easily discounted rumours are still based on facts.

You've all read that this year's releases are all still dominated by the Hoya roadmap. Consider how much time Pentax needed in past times to develop a new camera body. To release something new that was not on the Hoya roadmap (and FF wasn't) takes time. I rather have great working camera bodies than a rushed electronics product that comes with lots of errors like they do.
09-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
I rather have great working camera bodies than a rushed electronics product that comes with lots of errors like they do.
Indeed. And not only should it be thoroughly tested, but also thoroughly thought out. While Canon may get away with offering the (IMHO) rather lame 6D, Pentax needs to offer something which is perceived as a worthy full frame bigger brother to the K-5.
09-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
However, Pentax needs to speak loud and clear about their future plans. The last thing we need is more PR and Marketing speak (lots of talk, no information). That may have worked in the past, but it doesn't work today.
But aren't they loud and clear? There are no hints of FF from Pentax (that doesn't mean it won't come one day). The roadmaps clearly says APS, Q system and 645. Ricoh have said that one of their main priorities is MF digital probably the source for the statements of more professional products from Pentax.
I sincerely believe that People who want FF should go to those who offers them; Pentax haven't promised one (that doesn't mean it won't come)
09-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Ricoh have said that one of their main priorities is MF digital probably the source for the statements of more professional products from Pentax.
As a provider of "enthusiast" DSLRs, I don't think Pentax can ignore FF very much longer. They may have a possibility to compute with high-end FF by developing the 645D even more in the direction of a standard DSLR camera, but larger-than-FF sensors will probably stay very expensive compared to 24x36 sensors, especially now that the latter probably will be produced in larger quantities.