Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #16
WTH

When will a Pentax FF DSLR be available?

09-18-2012, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
- Have they ever considered having one of their current engineers rip apart a PZ-1p to learn how to make a shutter that syncs at 1/250th?
- Is the person that decided to give Marc Newson money still employed by Pentax?
- Will there ever be another product roadmap?
09-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
My question would be
1. Why is pentax not looking at India as a market for its Dslr products?
With other brands having huges sales recorded in India, aren't pentax loosing a great market for their valued offerings?

Thanks,
Sriram
09-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

^This thread will make a lot of people unhappy when the response will come back . This thread should have never been created . This created false expectation.
AS you can see a lot of the stuff mention are very personal or so broad that any corporation will not answer any of them or be so vague that nobody will be happy

PS If the question were given to Canon ,Nikon or Sony , their management will answer exactly the same way . This is the way large corporation work

09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

What tier do they consider the K-30?

Will there ever be a true replacement for the K-r? K-300 maybe? :c )
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
jft

Photos: Albums
retrofit the AF on existing K5 ?

It's nice to improve the low-light AF on the new K5II and K5IIs, but, when I bought the K5, I expected AF to work reliably enough in low light. It does not if the source light has a low temperature (i.e. tungsten light bulbs, sodium street lamps).

I understand that the fix is hardware, not firmware.

Now, rather than buy a new K5II, I'd rather have my K5 upgraded for a reasonable fee.

Can Pentax do that ?

PS: Otherwise, the K5 is already great. I really appreciate the WR and ergonomy.
I can live with the most other limitations (i don't do video).
09-18-2012, 08:55 PM - 2 Likes   #22
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Will Pentax ever revisit their "M" and "A" accessories and update them?

What about.....

1. Extension Tubes - make them AF and with "A" contacts.
2. Macro Bellows - make the current digital bodies compatible with an updated bellows.
3. Right Angle View finders - update/re-release the viewfinders for DA bodies.
4. Flash sync cords - Build into the sync cords a SB illuminator like the one Nikon has.
5. Update the body caps or give us that "shock absorbing" lens cap based on their patent.
6. External battery packs that can be charged with USB/5V.
7. More diopter control like the old corrective adapters that are no longer produced.
8. Allow Tablet/iPod integration with the camera.
9. Make a wireless solution (flash trigger and focusing) like the Cactus V5 and allow pass through P-TTL with the camera.
10. Bring back/update the AF400T/645 Flash bracket. We now have microphones and GPS, so we need more "hot shoe" connections.
11. Bring back the F5P medium length flash cord. The short and long are too long and too short!

If Pentax would revisit their accessory vault, they could generate additional revenue without really trying too hard. Hire some Americans in America to be REAL Pentax boosters, and who know Pentax (like me).
This as well. Pentax is SERIOUSLY lacking in the accessory department.

I shouldn't have to hunt ebay, goodwill, and craigslist for 25+ year old accessories for my modern Pentax dSLR simply because you or a quality 3rd party are not making them. You (Pentax) should be making them!

09-18-2012, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #23

I'm sorry...

I was a pentax die hard.. (k10, k20, k7 and k5). All have served me well. I've grown my skills far beyond my wildest expectations, but this year was the line in the sand for me. I've battled the poor auto focus in the k5 and k7 for long enough. The 5ii seems like it will address the issue but the fact of the matter is as a creative portrait artist I crave the depth of field traits of a full frame camera. I waited desperately for the fall announcement in hopes that an ff would be announced to no avail. But Nikon delivered. So, I jumped. I just received my 4th Nikon prime today so i have the glass to get me started and the two bodies shipped hours ago. The D600 has some short comings but Pentax has no comparable alternative. I just couldn't wait anymore.

I'm sorry.
09-18-2012, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

I've been a Pentax fan since 1968 when I bought my S1a...the first of many Pentax SLR's / DSLR's, lenses and accessories I have purchased.

While my S1a, ES 11 and K1000 still work...I primarily use my K10D, Km and K-5. I'm obviously a long time, loyal Pentaxian.

What I would like to say to Pentax-Ricoh is the following:

- Bring out a reasonably priced lens...such as the Canon 400 mm F 5.6 L lens. In Canada this lens goes for about $ 1500 or so.

- Keep the Limited lens series. Just bought my first one (70mm F 2.4) and plan to purchase some more. BTW, I've been very pleased with my 12-24, 50 Macro, 50 normal, 10-17 Fisheye, 55-300, 16-45.

-I'm very happy with the quality of my Pentax digital SLR's...please keep the quality level...high... in Pentax.

- Advertising is expensive I realize. But many new to photography in North America are not aware of the Pentax line and the features and quality this camera/lens line offers.

- Communicate with Pentax owners. Do surveys, ask for anecdotal responses... find out what your customers want. Not just new customers....but oldies like me and all those in between.

- A full frame would be nice, but I'm very happy with the ASP-C format....keep refining and producing it. I do have a lot of money tied up in ASP-C. I hope Pentax will be able to offer Full Frame and continue to offer ASP-C format and medium format.

- I'm happy to see Ricoh take over Pentax with enthusiasm. I'm hoping for great things in the future for the venerable old line of Pentax.

- I realize you can't do everything at once, but your product road maps ... are great and help consumers plot their photographic planning.

- Pentax has been known in the past as having significant and competitive line up of lenses and accessories. Many of the old lenses were of excellent design. Perhaps a shortcut to expanding the accessories and lenses would be to up date some of these fine old designs.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-18-2012 at 09:04 PM.
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have a couple of questions for Pentax:
1. The k5II addressed the AF concerns that many of us had with our k5 cameras, still there were many other suggestions that have been ignored. We can assume that Pentax is working on at least one new body for 2013. Are some of the other k5 wish list items, like dual card slots, focus peaking, and a faster flash sync speed being considered?
2. It has been several years since any Pentax flash advancements have been made and the 540/k5 combo never was the best. Is an update to the flash line-up coming?
3. Not a question, but please remind them that tethering would be a nice feature.
4. Of course, Ricoh came into Pentax at a rough time in the company's history and no one expects everything to be fixed in just 10 short months. What are some of the future plans that will mark the true shift to the Ricoh management?

Also, I really like that communication question.
09-18-2012, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
this as well. Pentax is seriously lacking in the accessory department.

I shouldn't have to hunt ebay, goodwill, and craigslist for 25+ year old accessories for my modern pentax dslr simply because you or a quality 3rd party are not making them. You (pentax) should be making them!
+10,000

amen!
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
- Pentax has been known in the past as having significant and competitive line up of lenses and accessories. Many of the old lenses were of excellent design. Perhaps a shortcut to expanding the accessories and lenses would be to up date some of these fine old designs.
Another +10,000
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Here is what I made on my metal lathe/mill
That is sexy and I dont even know what it is!!
09-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
iht
Veteran Member

Dear Pentax,

I love Pentax Thank you for producing beautiful cameras and lenses over many years. I love my K5, *ist DS and my older film cams!

Some improvements I would love to see:
- Marketing - seriously no one here in Australia know about Pentax!!!!
- FF!!!! PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!
- Better AF (The K5 was a big improvement, but still has much room for further work)
- Please please upgrade re-release the classic FA lenses, esp the FA* ones, e.g. 24, 85, 28-70, 80-200!!!!!!!!! OK...I do own a 250-600 but I suppose it is very niche.
- Please continue maintain backward compatibility - Pentax has really done a great job here. (Maybe bring back aperture coupler at least for the FF?)
- Faster flash sync speed

TBH, I was just a little bit tempted to change to Nikon/Canon after the D600/6D announcements, but I have faith in Pentax. Dad started with the SL 43 years ago (both still going strong!), and I would love to see Pentax to dominate like it used to.

All the best!
09-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I started out as an amateur with a panasonic bridge cam because they shot raw. I started selling prints and needed to improve my iq. I had a k1000 that I loved and the pentax dslrs ticked so many of the right boxes for me. Weather sealing and IBIS really what sold me. I found a k-7, struck gold and started freelancing as well as selling a lot more prints. I'm buying a k-5 tomorrow. I long considered buying a used k-5, but I think I would rather the money go to pentax. I am glad that they exist to provide something different and it is commendable that the k mount is virtually unbroken after its inception. I write this because I a good ways towards building a decent system and I am now starting to look at the long term. I worry that pentax won't be around in 5 years or will be making silly mirrorless cameras with no evfs instead of the stellar dslrs we love. I worry that pentax won't go full frame. Not that I have a need or burning desire, but I think it is important to people looking at pentax that they would offer that. Also there are countless pentaxians that have all been praying for FF. Here is what I would like to see from pentax and I know a lot of people here feel the same way:

1. FF DSLR (with a mirror...pretty please)
2. 28mm f2 limited
3. 28mm 3.5 (make a cheap one...pentax needs 28mm!)
4. Another 12-24 (I tried to find a new one, but had to buy used...very needed focal length on aps-c)
5. A 16-50 replacement. For $800 it could be a lot better.
6. An ultrawide prime. Pentax really needs more uwa options that aren't sigma.
7. Lens prices to return to competitive levels and sanity restored. I want a 60-250 something awful but hiking the price $500 or so means that someone dumping their gear for a Nikon is getting my money and that makes me sad.
8. More weather sealed lenses!
9. More limiteds
10. A K-02 with an evf. I would have considered a K01 if it had an evf and maybe a better grip.

Thanks pentax! This pentaxian is hoping good things are in store.
Closed Thread