Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to see a professional quality crop sensor DSLR. I have a k20d and it barely meets pro quality at iso100. I've invested in crop sensor lenses which are not cheap but as far as I know the bodies don't meet their quality. Thanks. Greg.

09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are still some important gaps in the lens line up. Of course you will get different answers depending on whom you ask. But some thoughts:
-There are three DA* zooms, two WR zooms, DA* primes at 55, 200 and 300mm, the WR 100mm macro, and now the All weather 560mm...the best weather protected lens selection there is perhaps...but why is there no WR wide angle prime or short wide angle zoom. Rain fall on landscape shooters as well.
-Finnish the DA ltd line with a short tele above the DA70ltd.
-300mm...560mm, I think something is still missing there
-Not all lens designs from film days are suitable for digital, but many are. Please resurrect more of the FA lenses as DA/DFA...whatever you call them...foremost of all the FA*200mm macro (which will bring credit to the brand)...but also for example the FA 135mm f2.8.
-Can it be all that hard to make a 1.5x converter and a set of extension tubes? With all necessary contacts and mechanics. You will anyway need to sell the later when people complain about the large minima focus distance on the 560mm.
But sure these preferences are my personal. But why not use the internet to examine with polls what lenses that people are missing?

On my Galaxy Notes
09-18-2012, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

When will Pentax dump the video garbage and concentrate on making still cameras for serious photographers? The world already has enough lousy amateur video spewing from cell phones. Fine, keep video for the P&S crowd, but don't shove that "feature" down the throats of those of us who have work to do. I'll take an uncrippled lens mount over video anytime.

Those who are serious about video should get video cameras.
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
300 F2.8 and 1.4 and 2X converters to keep the 560mm company...

09-18-2012, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #35
wax
Forum Member

Please ask if are we gona find Pentax products on big worldwide retail stores or, as happens now, just on some photo stores and on line.

Thank
09-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #36
Zav
Pentaxian

Dear Pentax-Ricoh,

Please communicate more with your customers. I would like to know when to expect your new flagship (wether it is APS-C or 24x36). Don't tell me the flagship is a 2 years old camera and please no answer a la "be patient and thou shall be rewarded".
I want to know where we are going. Roadmap please!

Please tell us as well why is there no Ricoh announcement at the Kina: GXR, new GRD, etc. The Ricoh and the Pentax compact camera lines are complementary.

Xavier
09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
Forum Member

I invested in a Pentax K-mount system because I thought it was the best bang for the bucks. The current lens pricing rollercoaster would be the main reason I would want to switch to another brand. In particular, given that Pentax lenses do not have in-lens IS, they should be cheaper than their Canikon counterparts (or at least not more expensive). Please convey to them that they need to keep pricing reasonable if they want to keep their current customers and attract new ones.
09-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #38

What's the sensitivity of AF sensors in the k-30? f2.8 or 5.6?

09-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
ogl
Pentaxian

1. Why Pentax stopped to produce DA Star zooms and primes and DA Limited prime (included pancakes) lenses?
No new lenses of this class for 4 years already. Will Pentax produce new DA* and DA Limited primes?

2. Will idea of new DFA 100 macro to be continued - metal body of prime lens with WR?

3. Will Pentax develop new AF system with more AF points (19-21 AF points) and with more double-cross sensors for fast lenses?

Last edited by ogl; 09-18-2012 at 10:47 PM.
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Will Pentax bring their production back to Japan? At least for higher-end gear.

and +1 for wide-angle DA* fixed-focal lens.
09-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #41
Pentaxian

So I went two weeks to the European Championship Waterfly in Eindhoven. Taken pictures 14 days, every day following 2 to 4 games. A hard learning school and I did enjoy it.

I used K-5, K-5 Silver, FA*85mm, DA40mm, DA21mm, DA15mm, DA*300mm and Sigma 70-200mm (OS version). I have three new SanDisk PRO cards 45mb/s and one older 32 GB classe 10 and 16 GB classe 6 card. Took a laptop to use in the mediacentre. Used a monopod and a Metz flash.

I took thousends of pictures during that time. There are some real fantastic pictures with it. Learnd a lot from some of the pro-shooters there (1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D, D300s, D3, D3s and loads of pro-lenses up to 400mm/f2.8). There where a few with transmitters to send their images to their laptops standing next to the pool. I spend time waiting for my camera to be ready with processing and storing files while next to me someone is standing reviewing the same pictures and selecting and deleting. Time I could not spend on my pictures. I'm talking about 8 hours or so during those two weeks. The K-5 is a slow camera in that way.

So what do I want?
  • I want better image quality then K-5 offers at hi iso-settings to meet magazine printing quality. So I guess I want APS-H or Full Frame. For newspaper it is fine as K-5 is, but the future is demanding more.
  • I want faster processing in the camera and up to UHS-I speed of writing to cards to stop loosing so much time on waiting for my camera to be ready.
  • I want a smarter and faster AF system. I want lenses that are faster in focussing to work with that new AF-system.
  • I want a second cardslot in my camera. To make RAW and jpg.
  • I want to have a sort of transmitting of images to my laptop. I want to have an option to mark good pictures so I can find them back faster then now.
  • I want a DA*400mm/f4 or a DA*135-270mm/f2.8 with a DA*1.4x TC.
  • I would like to have the option to change to 12-bit RAW. Especially with hi iso (iso 1600 and up) to have smaller files that process faster.
  • I would like an integrated grip. The K-5 body is perfect otherwise. So jyst attache the vertical grip to it and make it one fast camera full of options.
  • A new and better flashsystem would be great.
  • In sportsphotography a shutter garanteed to use for 100k times isn't so great. So making a new one better to use for at least 200.000 actuations would be great.

From an other ways satisfight user.
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I'm in favor for APS-H !

Well that new camera will be bigger than K-5 is, that I do believe. Partly why (next to the convenience of having some crop and thus not so large lenses needed) APS_H is appealing to me. It will drain battery's faster then K-5 does, but just carrie a spare and you get along. AF is an important issue, since it does need a new approach to make AF-C workable. Maybe I'm sattisfied with single PRIME III that is just twice the speed that PRIME II delivers (that should be possible with new technoligy, since PRIME II design is from 2008/9).

So here's my crazy idea: MAKE TWO NEW CAMERA'S

So you design that new camerabody, with the big OVF, that new AF-module (also for al the other platforms APS-C and 645D), that new electronic design (faster processing and also for APS-C and 645D) and the new shutter (stil quiet please).

My preference is APS-H, but the idea is still the same for a Full Frame format sensor.

The base for this is an APS-H sensor of about 28-21mm with a surface of 588^2 mm and pixelsize of 7 microns or 4,75 microns.
  1. New Hi-iso performance (sports/action orientated) camera with big pixels and a resolution of between 12-16 megapixel.
  2. New Hi-resolution performance (for those big prints) camera with pixels the size of current K-5 and a resolution of 26 megapixel.

Produce this camera in batches or like in car-industrie just as they come along in the productionfase. The only real difference between them fysical would be the sensormodule (and an extension on the name) that needs to be designed based on the same electronic lay-out and fysical size and connections.

They would run on different Firmware that makes one acting as a fast camera and the other slower (but that is also implied by the data read-out from the sensor, that is ofcourse slower with the sensor that carries more pixels.

The sports/action camera with up to 8 fps and the portrait camera maybe only up to 4 or 5 fps. This keeps the amount of datatstream to handle in the camera within reach of the possiblity's of a PRIME III processor.

In wich form to pack this camera:

Well I do realize that a camera that will pack more then a K-5 does needs to be bigger. But I don't believe that it isn't possible to make it small!

Looking at: Pentax K-5 with grip attached.

And making the grip integrated with the camera, just a little smaller then on this picture (wich can be done, since there is no separated connection between them) and don't make room for two battery's or a set of 6 AA's, but make room for one larger and more powerfull battery (more power then D-LI90 has to power up everything) then you still end up with a small camera

When K-5 messures: 131 x 97 x 73 mm (5.16 x 3.82 x 2.87") then you can make a K-1 (futuring a Full Frame of APS-H sensor) messuring 131 x 145 x 73 mm (5.16 x 5.71 x 2,87") futuring two sets of grips for landscape and portrait use. In this way there is for both grips the same space to the mount-housing giving the same workingway. Maybe still under 1 kg?

With only one battery inside, wich coult use a bigger space to carrie more power there is still a lot of extra room in the body to future more electronics and bigger AF-sensor. A second SDHC slot. Maybe even a little bigger screen on the back.

Is it small then?

When I look at Canon's 1D:
Wich messures 156 x 157 x 80 mm (6.14 x 6.18 x 3.15") and weights 1230 g (2.71 lb / 43.39 oz) then this K-1 is still very small.

In this way there is enough space in the camera to cramp all the neede electronics in and choosing a form that gives maximum ease of use for photographers combined with a reasonable small camera.

Having a unique sensor specially made for Pentax does make the brand stand out!
09-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #43
Pentaxian

D-Li90

The battery is aperfect tool. Stick to it for the coming years and introduce new camera's with it.

Bring a new flash that also uses this D-Li90 to simply swap them easily.
09-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #44
Forum Member

When do we see presence of Pentax in India? With Canikons holding their base so strongly here, does Pentax feel it is not time yet to venture into the subcontinent or do their execs find the markets not mature enough for their brand?
Thank you
09-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #45

I would like to see an affordable pro FF camera. Not more the $2200
I also would like to see more advancement towards HDR. Giving you the ability to pre-adjust the F stops as you like plus color editing in camera with the HDR.
Tilt screen would be great and always the best resolution possible.
White balance getting better and better is always valuable.

Thanks,
Racerdew
Closed Thread