Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photokina 2012 Interview with Pentax: Post your shout-outs and comments for Pentax!

Hi guys,

Tomorrow is our official interview with Pentax here at Photokina. You can learn more about it here
Exclusive Photokina 2012 Interview with Pentax - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Please post anything you'd like to say to Pentax in this thread, and I will do my best to make your voices heard!

***This thread will be printed and summarized at noon GMT on 9/19***

Edit: reply from Pentax Ricoh found here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/199507-pentax-ricohs-r...ml#post2105669

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really, I'd like to know two things:

1. Why don't they communicate better with their customers? No one ever has any idea what they are up to or why.

2. And, related to that, almost any information about where they think they are headed with their cameras and lenses would be wonderful.
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Will focus peaking be implemented in the Q as the nex 3 and 5n were given focus peaking after they had been out with a firmware update and if shake reduction would work with all adapted lenses and just not the official K to Q adapter...
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
1. Why don't they communicate better with their customers? No one ever has any idea what they are up to or why.
I agree there.

Also, What is their stance on revisionary software/firmware improvements to existing cameras to improve functionality? Basically, it would be customer support and commitment to make the best photographic tools.

Examples:

- K-01, no peaking while video is being recorded.
- K-01, HDMI is only good for photo review and not live view or movie recording.
- K-01, no indicator while recording for audio levels (this would tell the user audio is working and being recorded)
- K-01, the movie record button forces the use of Program mode instead of whatever movie mode I have selected in the options menu.
- K-01, shake reduction in video mode seems to add a more jello-ish look to the video than without.
- K-01, RAW speed seems artificially limited to 1fps.

- K-7/K-5/K-5II (most likely), lacking in advanced video control and the MJPEG/PCM codec has issues with all software and websites like Youtube that use FFMPEG decoding (popping noise in video).

- New K-5II presumably lacks features of lesser models like the K-30 and K-01.

- The old tethering request.

- The Q10 is said to have improved AF algorithms, will that be back-ported to the original Q?

Last edited by sjwaldron; 09-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
09-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will be honest: I want Pentax to develop a 35mm (Full Frame) DSLR.

Some good additions would include an interchangeable viewfinder, H264 30 (or even 60) fps 1080p video with manual controls, and a way to set minimum shutter speed in Auto-ISO mode (instead of slow, normal, fast options).

Edit:

Also, please up your marketing in the US. It's essentially non-existent. Brick & mortar shops in many states want nothing to do with Pentax after being burned by Hoya distributor issues - restore that relationship!

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 09-18-2012 at 08:06 PM.
09-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

1. Is CMOS a viable option for the 645D?
2. Is the removal of the AA filter some thing we can expect to see on future bodies from Pentax?
3. New Flash system?
4. Will improvements in EVF push improvements in OVF (are we going to see bigger brighter OVFS)?
5. Is Pentax committed to OVF cameras?
6. Is 2 card slots something they are considering?
7. Have they ever considered a monochrome body? Any possibility?
8. Any Pro-Grade glass in the near future?
9. Do they think the mega pickle war is cooling down?
10. WiFi?
11. GPS?
12. Where does Pentax see its AF technology compared to the competition?
13. Macro lens with greater than 1:1 magnification?
14. Any conversations about bringing back the MX or LX bodies in digital? A retro pro-grade body?

Last edited by Winder; 09-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will Pentax ever revisit their "M" and "A" accessories and update them?

What about.....

1. Extension Tubes - make them AF and with "A" contacts.
2. Macro Bellows - make the current digital bodies compatible with an updated bellows.
3. Right Angle View finders - update/re-release the viewfinders for DA bodies.
4. Flash sync cords - Build into the sync cords a SB illuminator like the one Nikon has.
5. Update the body caps or give us that "shock absorbing" lens cap based on their patent.
6. External battery packs that can be charged with USB/5V.
7. More diopter control like the old corrective adapters that are no longer produced.
8. Allow Tablet/iPod integration with the camera.
9. Make a wireless solution (flash trigger and focusing) like the Cactus V5 and allow pass through P-TTL with the camera.
10. Bring back/update the AF400T/645 Flash bracket. We now have microphones and GPS, so we need more "hot shoe" connections.

Here is what I made on my metal lathe/mill

11. Bring back the F5P medium length flash cord. The short and long are too long and too short!

If Pentax would revisit their accessory vault, they could generate additional revenue without really trying too hard. Hire some Americans in America to be REAL Pentax boosters, and who know Pentax (like me).

Last edited by LaurenOE; 09-18-2012 at 08:14 PM.
09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #8

1. Full frame 135 Limited lens that I can use on my film and APS DSLRs (or at least a 135 equivalent lens for APS)
2. Mirrorless camera designed by engineers who understand and shoot cameras
3. GXR II and a fast long(-ish) prime for it
Thanks for listening.
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

please add real TTL for the flash system. Speaking of which, how about a lower cost flash with tilt and swivel.
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote

2. And, related to that, almost any information about where they think they are headed with their cameras and lenses would be wonderful.
+1 on this.

I would like the CEO to do actual real interview with real press and give us an idea of really where they are heading with things. Rumors give me headaches.

I would also like to have a 'town hall' (maybe online) where we can submit questions and the bosses will respond (maybe an audio webcast or something, or youtube responses or something) to the top 10 questions. ANYTHING to get them to say what they are thinking.

Go out on a limb. Be straight forward. Tell us.
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

If improvements have been made to the SDM in the DA*16-50 and DA* 50-135 will there be an option for owners of defective lenses to upgrade with little cost?
09-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

New Zealand needs a proper distributor

Hi Adam,

could you perhaps urge someone from Pentax Japan to please replace the current New Zealand Pentax distributor Ian R. Little with a distributor that is up to the task?

The current "distributor" Ian R. Little just kills Pentax in New Zealand:
  • Their repair/cleaning work leaves customers unhappy. I can dig up the customer complaints, if you like. Please check out the latest IRL service horror story, involving a user who has been denied the use of his K-7 from November 2011 till September 2012 due to IRL needing multiple repair attempts. Pentax users are actually preferring grey imports just to avoid IRL service!
  • Their website is always out of date; the "recent news" on the IRL home page never featured a "K-5".
  • They ignore email requests (personal experience).
  • Their prices are so high that New Zealand customers are better off importing from Australia or the U.S.A.
  • They are "blacklisted" by a "large sales chain" in New Zealand. You cannot increase your sales in New Zealand significantly unless you are represented by the large sale chains as well. I heard from another retailer (name available on request) that they don't carry Pentax due to problems with the distributor. Yet another retailer will sell the K-30 online but will not have it on the shelf because of distributor issues. They had/have the K-5 on display and it worries me that they do not display a K-30.
  • They have stopped loaning cameras to Gordon Laing from CameraLabs so he cannot produce reviews for Pentax cameras anymore.
Quote:
"There's no Pentax office in NZ, so they use a distributor which has been happy to loan us products to test in the past, but recently has prioritised sales over reviews. So if they have, say 10 orders for a K-7, and only ten cameras are received from Pentax, they will sell them all. Often there are back-orders waiting some time to be fulfilled, and they have priority. "
How can Pentax expect to maintain, let alone increase, their sales in NZ when they allow their "distributor" to be so ineffective?

When Gordon Laing reviewed the Nikon D7000 he only compared it to the Canon 60D and the K-5 would have done very well. Note that his reviews are watched internationally, so Pentax is losing out not only regarding New Zealand sales.

New Zealand has fantastic landscapes but the weather is changeable. New Zealanders are "outdoor" people nevertheless and small cameras with weather-resistant lenses, i.e., Pentax gear, are an ideally match for them.

Pentax should either get Ian R. Little to work effectively or replace them with someone who is capable of increasing their sales. For your information C.R Kennedy already does the Pentax distribution in Australia and distributes Sigma lenses in New Zealand. I believe they would be a great replacement for IRL.

P.S.: Needless to say that I'm a big fan of the Pentax brand and that it pains me to see that so few New Zealanders actually get the chance to see the virtues of the brand's products. New Zealand will always be a comparatively small market but I'm convinced it could be much bigger than it currently is.
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
12. Where does Pentax see its AF technology compared to the competition?
I liked this point!
I have missed a better AF lately. I missed some nice shots in the last two of my friends' weddings due to this slow Pentax AF. I am no pro, but I would love to see it performing better. I tried the same photo later with my compact Canon and I got it! I was so mad!
09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
pdo

Will Ricoh bring back tethering?
09-18-2012, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Here's my wish list for new Pentax developments:
  • Smaller AF areas (not necessarily more).
  • Ability to self-calibrate the electronic level (it should not be necessary to send the camera in, if the electronic level is out).
  • Allow manual operation of the top-LCD light.
  • Full manual controls for video.
  • Bring back the blur contributed by the shutter back to K20D levels.
  • Improved quality control. No lens release buttons falling off, please.

Dream territory:
  • Wireless connection for "tethered" shooting and bulk image transfer. Allow ad-hoc networks with laptops.
  • Additional (shift) motion sensors to support shake reduction during macro shooting.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with optical image as usual and optional overlay of additional information, such as histogram, focus peaking, highlight warning, etc.
  • Full-frame sensor.
You could ask if any of the above is conceivable.

BTW, a big shout out to Pentax: Your gear rocks! Camera ergonomics are unsurpassed and you have some of the finest glass on the planet. Please just keep it affordable.

Last edited by Class A; 09-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Closed Thread