Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Ricoh's reply to your comments at our interview

Earlier today, we asked you for any comments or shout-outs that you might have for Pentax Ricoh at our interview today:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/199465-photokina-2012-...-pentax.htmlWe shared a summary of these comments with the Pentax prior to our interview.

Official reply to your comments:

1. Regarding Pentax's USA marketing/customer relations, and the distributor in New Zealand: noted
2. India is a tough market, but we (Pentax Ricoh) do plan to start selling products there in the very near future
3. We do plan on developing AF systems with a greater number of AF points
4. Regarding the full-frame: it typically takes at least 18 months to develop a new product, such as the Pentax Q, from scratch. It may take longer for larger formats. In the past, we told you that we were evaluating the market to see whether a FF body was in demand and feasible to make. Let's just say that we are looking at this particular product type more than ever right now...

A side note: Ricoh, unlike Pentax, finds individual customer feedback to be integral to its product development decisions. We will be listening to your suggestions and they will not go ignored!

The Japanese Pentax Ricoh representative took a hardcopy of the following data (which we had prepared) with them:
(Item for improvement)
(Number of votes)
Lens Lineup
Autofocus
Full-Frame DSLR
Flash System
US Public Relations/Marketing
Tethering
Roadmaps
Weather-Sealed Gear
K-01 / Mirrorless
Retail Availability
Accessories
Third-Party Lens Availability
Ricoh GXR System
Video
Firmware Updates
APS-C DSLR
No Distributor in India
Retro “Classics”
Australia Marketing
New Zealand Customer Satisfaction
Professional Services
645D Lenses
More kit offerings

---------

We asked two questions today on which the Pentax Ricoh representatives declined to comment:
1. Is the Pentax 18-270mm based on a Tamron design? If so, are there future plans of collaboration with Tamron?
2. What can you tell us about the in-lens shake reduction in the new D-FA 645 90mm macro lens?

Off the record, I spoke to someone else at the booth who said that yes, it's obviously a Tamron lens. His friend works for Tamron and said that it's essentially a direct clone of the lens and that is uses Tamron technology. I have a hunch that the in-lens SR was also acquired from a third party, though the lens is obviously Pentax's own.

There will be no further mention of these questions in the video interview or transcript.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Point number 4 is GREAT!!! Thank you Adam!

It's out now...! So those who has been waiting for so many year, if wish to, go ahead and switch system!
But do come back in 2 years time!
09-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Read into it as you wish, but the Pentax/Ricoh merger happened 12 months ago. This would suggest that we can expect to hear a full-frame announcement in 6-12 month's time.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Point number 4 is GREAT!!! Thank you Adam!

It's out now...! So those who has been waiting for so many year, if wish to, go ahead and switch system!
But do come back in 2 years time!
Or 1 year... Ricoh may have said "go ahead" 1 year ago - so let's say "more than 18 months" = 2 years, i.e. 1 year from now.

09-19-2012, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Also, when I asked them about the full-frame (even as I was reading the question), everyone couldn't help but smile. People smile when they're hiding something

They also said that the FF will NOT be at CP+, but chances were high that we'll see one in 2013. That's not to say that other shinies won't be announced at CP+!

Adam

09-19-2012, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A side note: Ricoh, unlike Pentax, finds individual customer feedback to be integral to its product development decisions. We will be listening to your suggestions and they will not go ignored!
Wow! This is even better news then the part of them looking at FF. Actually, I personally find this the best Pentax news this year!
09-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Regarding the full-frame: it typically takes at least 18 months to develop a new product, such as the Pentax Q, from scratch. It may take longer for larger formats. In the past, we told you that we were evaluating the market to see whether a FF body was in demand and feasible to make. Let's just say that we are looking at this particular product type more than ever right now...
So "looking at" means, there has not yet been any development towards this direction, which will result in at least a 18+ months waiting time?

09-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam for the effort. I believe the 18 months study of FF has already started last year or so. (FF next year?) Now that all the players lay there cards down, its time to study the market.
09-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
So "looking at" means, there has not yet been any development towards this direction, which will result in at least a 18+ months waiting time?
Unfortunately he couldn't be very direct about it, but I did get the impression that the idea has been in the works for a while now.

Adam

09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam
Great work !
09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm betting 2 years! Hey, that's a decent time actually!
C'mon.... Atleast it means some of you guys can actually spend at least 2 years to play with a new set of "toys" in peace; Canikon FF, without worries!
09-19-2012, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
ogl
Banned

NO FF till the spring of 2013 - no any serious future for Pentax Ricoh...IMO
They will miss the train of modern photo market forever.

no HIGH-END APS-C camera till January, 2013 - really bad...
if they will announce it at CP+, it means that the cameras will be on sale from March, 2013....
K-5 will be almost 2.5 year old!!!!

Amen

Last edited by ogl; 09-19-2012 at 08:11 AM.
09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Also, when I asked them about the full-frame (even as I was reading the question), everyone couldn't help but smile. People smile when they're hiding something

They also said that the FF will NOT be at CP+, but chances were high that we'll see one in 2013. That's not to say that other shinies won't be announced at CP+!
Thanks for your report
Their reaction sounds strange but your meaning seems a good news in 2013 (if we can still survive after 21th Dec, 2012)

Last edited by NightPorter; 09-19-2012 at 08:09 AM.
09-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Ricoh representative actually said that? Seems like a real slap in the face to Pentax from Ricoh if that is true. Not saying it is not good to hear but you usually do not hear upper management disparage their employees in public. It's just not done.
09-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #15