Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #16

I'm skeptical, we Pentaxians are known to read in to things a fair bit due to our desire for an FF and our loyalty and love for the brand.

A 6-to-12 month period assumes that they looked into it immediately as they merged and started working on it. Don't forget that they had other projects they were working on post-merger such as the K-01 and the Pentax-Q.

And them smiling, not that I am doubting Adam whatsoever - I have nothing but the highest regard for Adam, but they could be just smiling because they've heard this question/request/argument for a long time now.

All that being said, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Keeping them crossed so hard they bruise and hurt. I've been saving money and I'm already halfway to having enough to buy a D800+24-70+70-200. D600/6D made it much easier, and that's excluding selling off my current Pentax gear.

I'd really like to keep my Pentax gear, even though I can't use my 16-50/50-135 on an FF. I'd really like to stay in the brand.

09-19-2012, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
The more I read reports about the FF from Photokina the more I feel that it's still at least 2 years away - but that it will eventually come... here is my reasoning.

1: In the first impression article from Photokina it was said that "it cannot be denied that there are good things to come" - i.e. everything is possible, but nothing is in the works
2: Here they say "we are looking at this particular product type more than eve" - i.e. looking at, not working on (in other words, they are considering to actually work on a product in the future)
3: Adam's own careful words " I did get the impression that the idea has been in the works for a while now" - nice, but it's an impression, not hard fact.. and also the "idea" has been in the works, not the product.

To me these combined show that either they are too careful in their wording and don't want to give anything away, or they have genuinely not started anything concrete yet in terms of development, and are only playing with the idea that sometime in the (maybe even near-) future they will start the development of a FF system. If they are too careful then I personally think it's a bad choice. People are already leaving the brand as is, but if they said that something is actually in the works they may retain many customers - and I don't think they are this bad at marketing. Which leaves me to believe in the second option, they simply have nothing in development at the moment, but they are going to start work on it relatively soon-ish - with maybe a FF camera in stores in about 2 years' time.
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

They also said that the FF will NOT be at CP+, but chances were high that we'll see one in 2013. That's not to say that other shinies won't be announced at CP+!
New 645D or new APS-C camera? Good, but....It means - no any new products till March, 2013...
645D is marginal and another photo niche.
Top APS-C camera? With price higher USD1500....?

Not expensive FF cameras from N and C are already the hits. The prices will be lower than USD2000 on spring 2013...
09-19-2012, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

The answer to the FF was the same as last interview, yes we're looking into the market of it, may take awhile to build something IF we deem it a worthwhile market to go into. Same ol same ol really. I don't expect Pentax to say if there was a Pentax FF coming out soon, or they would have announced it at Photokina, but at least tell people there isn't one at all and stop stringing people on for years.

09-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter

!8 months or longer to develop a FF! All they need to do as far as I am concerned is to take their new K5 and scale it up slightly to put in a FF sensor. Problem solved! LOL
09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
The answer to the FF was the same as last interview, yes we're looking into the market of it, may take awhile to build something IF we deem it a worthwhile market to go into. Same ol same ol really. I don't expect Pentax to say if there was a Pentax FF coming out soon, or they would have announced it at Photokina, but at least tell people there isn't one at all and stop stringing people on for years.
But dude! While you're being strung along... you might buy a few k-mount lenses like the FA triplets and whatnot... #justtrolling
09-19-2012, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I would think their #1 priority would be retail availability. I mean if people can't find their cameras and lenses except online it really doesn't matter what they sell, now does it? I'm far more concerned with that than I am on when they will come out with a FF. Pentax-Ricoh you need to make it possible for me and people like me to be able to actually go in and take a look at your products on a shelf. I shouldn't have to take a plane trip to be able to do that. I live in a smaller city but there's a big city right across the bridge and another one an hour and a half away and NOWHERE can I buy anything by way of anything Pentax. I'd actually love to be able to buy a K-30 at least locally.

09-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #23

Also, when I asked them about the full-frame (even as I was reading the question), everyone couldn't help but smile. People smile when they're hiding something

They also said that the FF will NOT be at CP+, but chances were high that we'll see one in 2013. That's not to say that other shinies won't be announced at CP+!

Thans Adam,
so honestly, with waht they said, can you tell us to wait and not go away (to Canon or Nikon) yet ? And keep our lenses that a FF is on its way ?
09-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Adam, thank you for the feedback wrt. India. Can't wait to see Pentax products on the showroom shelves here!
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They (Japanese Ricoh representative) really said this?
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VTerlakyPhoto Quote
The more I read reports about the FF from Photokina the more I feel that it's still at least 2 years away - but that it will eventually come... here is my reasoning.

1: In the first impression article from Photokina it was said that "it cannot be denied that there are good things to come" - i.e. everything is possible, but nothing is in the works
2: Here they say "we are looking at this particular product type more than eve" - i.e. looking at, not working on (in other words, they are considering to actually work on a product in the future)
3: Adam's own careful words " I did get the impression that the idea has been in the works for a while now" - nice, but it's an impression, not hard fact.. and also the "idea" has been in the works, not the product.

To me these combined show that either they are too careful in their wording and don't want to give anything away, or they have genuinely not started anything concrete yet in terms of development, and are only playing with the idea that sometime in the (maybe even near-) future they will start the development of a FF system. If they are too careful then I personally think it's a bad choice. People are already leaving the brand as is, but if they said that something is actually in the works they may retain many customers - and I don't think they are this bad at marketing. Which leaves me to believe in the second option, they simply have nothing in development at the moment, but they are going to start work on it relatively soon-ish - with maybe a FF camera in stores in about 2 years' time.

I agree your thought, you got the points !
09-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #27

Smiling could simply mean they expected that question, nothing more. I won't scream disappointment until the next photokina.
09-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

OK. I am going to put aside $250 every month from now for Pentax FF. By the time I reach $2500 - $3000, which is in 1 yr time, this either go into Pentax FF or a Nikon D600/D800 + Nikkor lens.

Or Pentax can put out a APSC that worth the upgrade from K5 in between then they will shred half my budget for FF.... ^^

Adam, please dont let them smile like politicians, ask them for concrete answer! be more like a journalist and less of a reporter...
09-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #29

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I agree that they didn't say anything much, but the message has changed. Under Pentax and under Hoya Pentax, the message was clear and repeated several times: There are no plans to market a full-frame camera. Of course, that didn't stop the FF hoping/praying/whining/complaining in the Pentax Forums.