Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
NO FF till the spring of 2013 - no any serious future for Pentax Ricoh...IMO
They will miss the train of modern photo market forever.

no HIGH-END APS-C camera till January, 2013 - really bad...
if they will announce it at CP+, it means that the cameras will be on sale from March, 2013....
K-5 will be almost 2.5 year old!!!!

Amen
Well, the K-5 II is supposed to be out by the Christmas season and the K-5 II/s is supposed to be out at some point. Since the K-5 is no longer being built, your 2.5 year old estimate is inaccurate. We really need to see how this to models do performance wise.

09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NO FF till the spring of 2013 - no any serious future for Pentax Ricoh...IMO
They will miss the train of modern photo market forever.

no HIGH-END APS-C camera till January, 2013 - really bad...
if they will announce it at CP+, it means that the cameras will be on sale from March, 2013....
K-5 will be almost 2.5 year old!!!!

Amen
Blame Hoya for that !!!
09-19-2012, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my rather short and limited experience in the modern Pentax era (2007 through today) I've never thought John Carlson was expecially well informed WRT Pentax's long-term plans. My suspicion is borne out by the woeful website, B&M support and decisions to outsource the entire company to third-party contractors. I put little stock in JCPentax's answers to those questions.
09-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Seeing as PRICL doesn't even have a sensor supplier yet, how would that be possible? Also regarding the 18 month timeline for a new camera body product, that seems very realistic to me. Seeing as they don't have a sensor supplier yet, that timeline seems all the more realistic.
Pentax has used Sony APS-C sensors for all their APS-C cameras except the K20D and K-7. Ricoh also uses Sony sensors. Clearly they do have a FF sensor supplier whenever they are ready.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-19-2012 at 10:58 AM.
09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #50
ogl
Banned

They even have no any info if they continue with mirrorless system...No any future roadmap for K-0*'s products...
09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Henke001 Quote
Regarding nr.2. Great news! The consuming middle class in India is as big as the whole USA's and we really need weather sealed cameras. Sure, perhaps FF is not a priority here, but a camera like the K5II could sell like anything with the proper marketing. I am sure there are millions of photographers with Nikon D60s (still hugely popular here) just waiting to upgrade. I think I just wet my self a bit out of joy.
Ricoh announced early on that they wanted to double sales in the camera business, and that expansion into areas where they have no representation was part of the plan. They specifically mentioned the emerging markets of China, India, and Russia. Obviously they are aware of their lack of representation in South America as well. I expect that Pentax Ricoh Americas Ltd will cover more than the US.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.
09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well, the K-5 II is supposed to be out by the Christmas season and the K-5 II/s is supposed to be out at some point. Since the K-5 is no longer being built, your 2.5 year old estimate is inaccurate. We really need to see how this to models do performance wise.
K-5 or K-5II - no any difference

09-19-2012, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Forum Member

full frame

I'm tired of this full frame moaning.. if I'm as rich as those one of arab emir, I'll give them 10 million dollar investment to build the full frame system. I'll go to Ricoh-Pentax HQ, throw the money in front of them, and say "make it happen for God sake! make it happen now!!"
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #54

K-5 or K-5II - no any difference
Stop panic!
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #55
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
A Ricoh representative actually said that? Seems like a real slap in the face to Pentax from Ricoh if that is true. Not saying it is not good to hear but you usually do not hear upper management disparage their employees in public. It's just not done.
Yes, it was said flat out like that. It's clear that Pentax's former management (Hoya's) wasn't stellar, and IMO there's no harm in saying that Ricoh's policy thus far has been to focus more on the customer than Pentax did in the past.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well, the K-5 II is supposed to be out by the Christmas season and the K-5 II/s is supposed to be out at some point.
October 15 is the release date for the camera, just before Christmas well see the 560mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I do get a kick out of the yearly meltdown over the lack of FF.

I think it will happen, but Ricoh needs more time to fix Pentax.

I actually hope Pentax develops a new mount for a Full-Frame EVIL. That is a market where Pentax does not have to compete with Nikon and Canon and it is wide open. Take a page from Fuji. In one year they have launched a new mount that has sold like crazy and is receiving more 3rd party lens support than K-mount.
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #58
Site Supporter

(Winder - "I actually hope Pentax develops a new mount for a Full-Frame EVIL. " )

If they do that then we'll all have to wait for a new range of lenses too. I would still like to be able to use my K mounts, one of the reasons I've stayed with Pentax cameras. I'd want to be able to use my lenses on whatever Pentax camera I decide to use. I've still got my old FF film cameras.
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #59
Banned

They're running on vaporware now.

Why would they be afraid of making a clear statement - it's not like there is any other company that might be tipped off by the development of this new FF thingie and start sweating off and changing their plans as a result of such announcement.
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Annatefkah Quote
(Winder - "I actually hope Pentax develops a new mount for a Full-Frame EVIL. " )

If they do that then we'll all have to wait for a new range of lenses too. I would still like to be able to use my K mounts, one of the reasons I've stayed with Pentax cameras. I'd want to be able to use my lenses on whatever Pentax camera I decide to use. I've still got my old FF film cameras.
Fuji has had huge success with 3 lenses. A well designed camera and a adapter can solve most peoples problems. I would have no problem using my 31mm with an adapter on a new FF EVIL. Even with the AF problems, slow write speeds and quirky MF Fuji has sold as many as they can make.

Fuji, Sony, & Olympus have all had huge success with new mounts. I'm not implying that Pentax should abandon K-mount. I'm saying a new mount and a FF EVIL would strengthen the companies market presence among the very high end users. It is going to be very hard for Pentax to do that in the DSLR market against established companies like Canon & Nikon. Just ask Sony.

The brick and mortar store I used has not carried Pentax in years. They just added a Fuji XP-1 and a big display. They are stocking Fuji cameras now. Fuji has gained more market share with high end users in 2 years than Pentax in 10.