Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot of doom-sayers about the future of Pentax-Ricoh when we haven't really seen what they've done together so far. This is taking from the dpreview interview with John Carlson mentioned in the other thread - it was also mentioned by Adam a short while ago;

Did Ricoh have much influence in the new cameras?
No, those cameras were already on the drawing board, and underway [when Ricoh and Pentax merged]

Unfortunately, they didn't come up with a follow question of "When will Ricoh show their influence?" But, I'm patient enough to wait and see!

09-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
+1...
Don't forget other things that are available RIGHT NOW to support the D600: full frame lenses, that range from bargain to Pro-grade, industry leading flash system and a 5 year warranty.
Yes, but is there another company that offers a body that isn't too small in my hands, is weather sealed, and is much like the K-5 at its price? Or even like the K-5 II at its price?

Weather sealing and size are very important to me. I'm 6'7" and live in Minnesota, if I didn't have those things, it may as well be a paper weight. And I have yet to find a company that can deliver those things to me in my price range.
09-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Earlier today, we asked you for any comments or shout-outs that you might have for Pentax Ricoh at our interview today:

Retail Availability

^ This.

None of the rest matters without retail availablility. That's what I want to see before Christmas 2012 - if the K-5 II is widely available soon after release, that will be the good start we need.

After the nine announcements, the rest can wait.
09-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Oh Dear,

All those that were screaming up and down for a FF Pentax, while thinking they won't have to put their money where their mouths are, thinking it'll never happen, might have to stump up a few grnad in a year's time. hee hee

09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #95
Veteran Member

You could have included Brazil in the "No distributor"
09-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
I'm skeptical, we Pentaxians are known to read in to things a fair bit due to our desire for an FF and our loyalty and love for the brand.

A 6-to-12 month period assumes that they looked into it immediately as they merged and started working on it. Don't forget that they had other projects they were working on post-merger such as the K-01 and the Pentax-Q.
Alas, I may agree... I doubt that an FF green light came out of the first management meeting after the acquisition. It's more likely we'll see an FF in 2014, if we do at all. Would love to be wrong.

QuoteQuote:
And them smiling,... but they could be just smiling because they've heard this question/request/argument for a long time now.
That's ^^ the first thing I thought as well. Again, would really like to be wrong!

09-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent !
I hope the plonkers at the New Zealand distributor will be getting a dear John ( Ian ) letter soon.

Pete

09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cross-posted:

Effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane will be appointed President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION in addition to his current role as president of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING, Tokyo, Japan.
(The Big Dog is taking charge of the biggest market in the world.)
Also effective October 1st, Mr. Akahane announced the appointment of James Malcolm as Executive Vice President of PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS. Mr. Malcolm will report directly to Mr. Akahane and he will be responsible for the leadership and operations of the U.S. subsidiary.

Most recently Mr. Malcolm has been working with Ricoh Company, Ltd. in Japan on the post-acquisition integration of PENTAX on a global basis. His insight and experience have set the direction and provided the vision needed to initiate management changes, including compliance with merger strategies.
(The enforcer is taking charge of Denver).
You can't double market share (5% to 10%) without significant USA sales.

Very little good (for us) can happen at PRICL until the largest consumer electronics market on Earth (for now) - America - is fixed. May I suggest Ricoh has deployed serious management to implement serious changes which are intended to finally develop this market, as we have wanted for all the years I have been on this Forum?
09-19-2012, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
. . .

Very little good (for us) can happen at PRICL until the largest consumer electronics market on Earth (for now) - America - is fixed. May I suggest Ricoh has deployed serious management to implement serious changes which are intended to finally develop this market, as we have wanted for all the years I have been on this Forum?
That or they like to ski!
09-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
consumer electronics market on Earth (for now) - America - is fixed. May I suggest Ricoh has deployed serious management to implement serious changes which are intended to finally develop this market, as we have wanted for all the years I have been on this Forum?
I suspect it's a bigger market than just the US. Surely Pentax Ricoh Americas will also manage South and Central America? Right now the camera division has no representation south of Mexico.
09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I suspect it's a bigger market than just the US. Surely Pentax Ricoh Americas will also manage South and Central America? Right now the camera division has no representation south of Mexico.
I think that is what they intended when they re-named it but why leave Canada out?
09-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #102
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
So are they going to reply to the questions received in the hard copy or are the 4 questions they answered all?
I guess no huh?
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Might I suggest that if Pentax wants to be really serious they will consider moving their US Home office. I realize that they only recently moved from Golden to Denver, but with the vast majority of their sales through vendors in NYC and the fact that Denver is a challenge to get to from many parts of the country it doesn't strike me as the home office of a serious electronics player in the US. Perhaps others could educate me on the advantages, other than skiing, as a national HQ location?
09-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Might I suggest that if Pentax wants to be really serious they will consider moving their US Home office. I realize that they only recently moved from Golden to Denver, but with the vast majority of their sales through vendors in NYC and the fact that Denver is a challenge to get to from many parts of the country it doesn't strike me as the home office of a serious electronics player in the US. Perhaps others could educate me on the advantages, other than skiing, as a national HQ location?
I have wondered that myself. However, NY and NYC would cream them on taxes.
09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think that is what they intended when they re-named it but why leave Canada out?
Because Pentax Canada is a successful organization unlike the now defunct Pentax US? There's product in stores in every major city and most minor cities in Canada. I was in Huntsville, Ontario, population 30,000 and the local specialty store had bodies and lenses on display. I live in Sudbury, in Northern Ontario, population 160,000.

Here's most of the Pentax shelf at the local Henry's, taken while I was testing the Q (ugly barrel distortion, eh?):

I was at a local outdoor concert recently and saw shooters using K20D, K-5 and K-r.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-19-2012 at 06:56 PM.