Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #136

Interchangeable backs on consumer cameras would be fantastic!. I i could choose between Q sensor, APS-C/H and FF all in one body that would be awesome. Wouldn't have to change the whole body for newer sensor technology either.

09-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah it's on display there. It's a device which can take 360-degree photos somehow. I can get a better look tomorrow...they had a TV with a sample of it in action, I believe.
Cool, so it's really in the R&D pipeline. Was this also part of the Hoya roadmap? Interesting. Seems Pentax is really looking at making "something else" again. Hopefully when this project comes full swing at the retail market, it's interesting enough for people to get one. 360-deg shooting is fun, but again, not for everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Interchangeable backs on consumer cameras would be fantastic!. I i could choose between Q sensor, APS-C/H and FF all in one body that would be awesome. Wouldn't have to change the whole body for newer sensor technology either.
It's already here - that's the Ricoh GXR system. Too bad it's not getting much interest as me and some others hoped for...
09-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No full frame, but a 360 degree camera. No wonder people laugh at Pentax
09-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #139
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
It's already here - that's the Ricoh GXR system. Too bad it's not getting much interest as me and some others hoped for...
The only place the Ricoh GXR is basically completely dead is the US. One of the reps said that in Europe in Japan, it at least gets noticed by enthusiasts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #140
Dan
Pentaxian

The only place the Ricoh GXR is basically completely dead is the US. One of the reps said that in Europe in Japan, it at least gets noticed by enthusiasts.
I didn't realize that it is completely dead in the U.S.--I must have missed the memo. I was thinking of getting one with the M module for use with those tiny Voigtlander 12mm and 15mm ultrawides. The micro lenses in the M sensor module are optimized for use with wide angle lenses, and there is no AA filter. The results can be very sharp!

Dan
09-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

I would argue that the GXR is quite different, since the lenes are attached to each of the backs. With exception of the new Leica mount.
09-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #142
ogl
Banned

???????? ???????????? Ricoh
ricoh - ????? ? ??????????

we can order something in web-shops...

09-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #143
ogl
Banned

Sony bought Minolta and almost immediately declared FF camera and new FF lenses...Don't you remember?
Ricoh bought Pentax 1 year ago and says NOTHING about future plans....

OK, you can't say about FF now....But...Have you got a plan, Mr. Fix?
To say honest I don't see ANSWERS from new company Pentax Ricoh. It's not the answers - it's some kind of ....indefiniteness
09-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #144

Photos: Gallery
Pentax in India !!!

Thank you Adam !!!

Pentax in India is much awaited !! hopefully we will see some use to our old FF M lenses on Pentax DSLRs( right now i use them either on K1000 or Sony A100 ) . even if it would be on APS-C sized Sensors . some people want FF camera from pentax , here we only want pentax to be at least have some presence.
09-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony bought Minolta and almost immediately declared FF camera and new FF lenses...Don't you remember?
Ricoh bought Pentax 1 year ago and says NOTHING about future plans....

OK, you can't say about FF now....But...Have you got a plan, Mr. Fix?
To say honest I don't see ANSWERS from new company Pentax Ricoh. It's not the answers - it's some kind of ....indefiniteness
Yep, and it worked so well Ricoh doesn't want to do the same, and I agree.
09-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The strange part is the lack of Pentax gear available in stores in Colorado in the past.
Yes, but to be fair there wasn't a camera store in Golden.
09-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
- Nikon's FF 70-210mm/2.8 is $2400
- Pentax's APS-C 50-135/2.8 is $1400 (its highest price)
Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135/2.8 = $1,521.95
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM = $669

Note that it is the 70-200/4 which is equivalent to the 50-135/2.8.

The f/2.8 version
Canon 70-200/2.8 = $1,329
actually is more than a stop faster than the 50-135/2.8 and hence allows shallower DOF on FF.

Take the cheap but excellent Nikkor 85/1.8 as another example. It would take a 56/1.2 on APS-C to match it. The latter will be quite expensive and would demand a much more precise AF module and gearing than the 85/1.8 to achieve the same AF accuracy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
To match that same level of quality, benefits and price, an FF system will always be compromised.
There is a level of image quality at which FF becomes cheaper. You can educate yourself by reading Falk's (falconeye) excellent article about the true reasons for full frame.

Last edited by Class A; 09-20-2012 at 03:25 AM.
09-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Adam!

Thanks Adam.

Good to hear FF is not entirely off the radar for Pentax.
Thank you too for conveying the issues with Pentax local distributor in New Zealand.

Speaking from experience, the local prices for Pentax is so high that it makes no sense to purchase here. Having said that, the same applies to many, many products in New Zealand. I suspect most of us purchase overseas. I have, for instance, purchased my K-5 from Adorama and I have to say the service, delivery time and packaging, not to mention the superior USA supplied world-wide guarantee made me realise that buying locally was simply not a smart choice, not mentioning the huge saving (many hundreds of NZS$$$)

Kind regards,
Mark
09-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #149

Good interview

A very useful set of findings. Well done.

It is good to hear that they are taking on board their customers views. I realise that it must be difficult for Ricoh, in a business sense, to understand all of the "baggage" that Pentax has brought along with it. I not only hope they will take away our "Photokina" concerns but also our ongoing concerns. As a market researcher and economist in the field of railways in Europe (very similar problems - declining market share, brand dominance by certain players, market uncertainty) this forum ought to be consulted by them daily as this is a significant barometer of market feeling. In the longer term, if they really are interested in our views and our stated and revealed preferences they could easily use this as a jumping off point for a major current customer survey. I'm sure it would shock them but be very valuable in the long run (I know this from hard experience).

With film on the way out and having bought an *ist DS in 2005, I now want to upgrade. I've got family, friends and colleagues who are using FF so I've seen what can be done. I'd like to take my photography to that level too. Since going digital I'm shooting up to 5 times more shots than previously, so whilst I've been very careful with my *ist DS, the shutter is realistically coming to the end of its life. It is lightweight to carry and extremely intuitive to use. Despite have slower frame rates than some of the more modern FF's the intuitiveness can still deliver against the more modern FF DSLR versions. I tested it against a colleague with a Nikon D800 recently - not just switching the camera on but setting up too.

I had a reasonable set of lens from my film cameras and have bought a further 5 since - 1 s/h and 4 new. All good value and I'd like to carrying on using them.. BUT, I really need a decent upgrade option, and soon. I don't think it is too much to ask. So the clock is ticking.

I'm not a designer, but I understand the process (I've been involved in a number of rolling stock exercises). It seems to me that their timescales for time to market are woefully slow. I certainly don't think these are the Canikon TTM's. The suggestions from others in this thread to use an Upgrade approach using the K5 Chassis or a downgrade approach using the 645D chassis seem to be reasonable starting points. Whichever one you choose, lets say 2 weeks with a designer for the basics. Critical bit must be sensor and its reliable procurement - say two months. Detailed design 1 month. Prototyping 1 month. If they are serious then we should be looking to see something early next year - End of February at the latest. As I said in the post to the call for questions I've saved the money - I'm just waiting to spend it on an FF - hopefully with Pentax. What more could Ricoh want?
09-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Congratulations, you've just invented the GXR.

That thing just needs K-mount modules, for APS-C and FF, and MF and Q.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-20-2012 at 04:39 AM.