Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #151
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Interchangeable backs on consumer cameras would be fantastic!. I i could choose between Q sensor, APS-C/H and FF all in one body that would be awesome. Wouldn't have to change the whole body for newer sensor technology either.
Various patents already exist for that one; and what any one of those patents cost is quite large. Realistically it would cost Pentax over 3k to develop such a system, and not sure how much of a market there would be for it. Might I also mention that the WR feature seems to be quite a hit with the existing Pentax market - and would be difficult to make with an interchangeable sensor.

09-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It would have been good if Pentax could have leapfrogged the competition and had offered a budget FF first in order to lure some Canikonians over to Pentax. That didn't happen but if Pentax doesn't offer a FF model soon, it will bleed many enthusiast photographers (with deep pockets for future glass purchases) to Canikon.

Eventually, any company just offering APS-C models will have a hard time to survive because competitors will be able to offer better image quality for comparable (or better prices), if you include the glass in the cost calculation.
That is the real issue. Can Pentax survive when their competition offers a better product at comparable prices? Or what about better prices?

I know there are many on this forum who don't think that FF makes that much of a difference. For some users it doesn't. FF doesn't change the photographers eye or artistic vision. For many photographers on these forums, aps-c will always produce the high enough IQ that they need. But this is a different story for some of the advanced amateur/enthusiast pentaxians and the small handful of remaining pentaxian pros. That difference in IQ for a pro can be a difference in bottom line.

I know that the FF wishers are smaller than those who are happy with aps-c, but Pentax needs to realize that their deep pocket owners are the ones asking for FF. Pentax needs to keep their owners who upgrade every new flagship and every other flagship. They also need to keep the ones who go out and buy the da* and limited lenses. It will be hard for them to survive if those deep pockets leave...and what the competition is offering right now is very tempting to a lot of the FF wishers.

And let's keep in mind, most of us FF wishers aren't even asking for them to produce the camera right now. They are just asking for knowledge that it is in fact, being developed for sometime in 2013. But Pentax can't seem to provide even that knowledge and that lack of knowledge is making people jump ship. I want Pentax to make it, but I have my doubts at this point. I can envision one future for them that includes just point and shoot, mirrorless, and MF. I don't know if the k mount can survive when the future of camera is moving to FF and there is no FF k mount option.
09-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Read into it as you wish, but the Pentax/Ricoh merger happened 12 months ago. This would suggest that we can expect to hear a full-frame announcement in 6-12 month's time.
Didn't he say that they were 'looking at it harder than ever now"? That sounds a lot like "I'm still thinking about it" and, as such, I won't be anymore.

Combine 'still thinking about it" with an 18month to 2 year development period and you just might be reading about this camera a few days before Photokina 2014. Unfortunately, most other camera makers will be doing medium format by then (only joking) or, more seriously, MILC FF cameras.
09-20-2012, 05:24 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Veteran Member

This FF whining is making me nauseous.

09-20-2012, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c-meier Quote
I hope they don't. One of Pentax' best selling points is that almost every lens they ever made can be mounted on their K-mount cameras.
Then it's not working very well.

Fuji X-mount, Olympus & Panasonic M4/3, & Sony E-mount are all new mounts that are out selling K-mount. Fuji has not even made a ICL camera for 5+ years until the X-mount. In one year they have introduced a new mount with only 3 lenses and sales have been excellent. It sells for 2x the price as the current K-5. How much value does K-mount have? What sells numbers can we look to see how much value is in K-mount?
09-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #156
Veteran Member

One has to wonder why people who find FF so important just don't go out and buy one.. I know I did. LOL
09-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #157
Forum Member

Most of the people crying about full frame and more lenses don't even have the funds to upgrade never mind having to get that past the wife. How about looking at what is already here? K5 image quality is better than any camera in the same price point, fully weather sealed body and many weather sealed lenses that are less expensive than the competition, DNG raw files, in camera pixel mapping, ability to use older lenses and being an individual who buys their gear without buying into the marketing and hype.

09-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It is, it's what made Pentax survive the past years.
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's a dead horse and it stinks.
09-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It is, it's what made Pentax survive the past years.
Having a medical division that was worth money to Hoya is what has kept the camera division alive. If Hoya did not buy Pentax for the medical division, then Pentax would have gone the way of Contax and Minolta. K-mount is not what saved Pentax.
09-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #161
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Now that Pentax is in more permanent hands than under Hoya, they could make a definitive statement one way or another. It is time to get off the fence.

09-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #162
Site Supporter

Fuji X-mount, Olympus & Panasonic M4/3, & Sony E-mount are all new mounts that are out selling K-mount. Fuji has not even made a ICL camera for 5+ years until the X-mount. In one year they have introduced a new mount with only 3 lenses and sales have been excellent. It sells for 2x the price as the current K-5. How much value does K-mount have? What sells numbers can we look to see how much value is in K-mount?
By your logic, why is Nikon's F mount doing o.k.? It is similar bayonet mount to the K-mount and is older than K-mount. K-mount isn't a problem.
09-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #163
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes, but to be fair there wasn't a camera store in Golden.
True, but other cities in Colorado does including Denver. Plus, it seems like the home office should have a Pentax Show Room. They are there anyway and already have overhead.
09-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
True, but other cities in Colorado does including Denver. Plus, it seems like the home office should have a Pentax Show Room. They are there anyway and already have overhead.

True. They ought to also actually carry everything that Pentax makes. Call them and you get "Ah, Pentax doesn't make that any more." Call Pentax Canada "Hello, of course we have that in stock, but errr you live in the States and we can't sell that to you. Would you like Pentax USA's number so you can order from them?"
09-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Having a medical division that was worth money to Hoya is what has kept the camera division alive. If Hoya did not buy Pentax for the medical division, then Pentax would have gone the way of Contax and Minolta. K-mount is not what saved Pentax.
Err...Minolta? They're Sony now. Sony bought them outright and ramped up the company with their larger distribution and marketing network. Sound familiar?