Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

yes, the GXR K-Mount is what the K-01 mirrorless should've been. too many "should've beens"

09-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
After Ned's departure - er - retirement, I think John is going to keep a low profile.

After comments like this one:

QuoteQuote:
Q: A lot of the feedback that we got about the Pentax Q was about its price.

A: Yes, I think we recognized that rather too late. Once the camera started going on sale for $350-400, that's when we started to see sales...

I can only advise "even lower profile, John, much lower."

Didn't every single Q review say it was priced way too high? It took P-USA a year figure that out? Sheesh. Hopefully the recent changes will bring a bit of business sense - if not even just simple common sense to P-USA.

Edit: I see now that LC had already made the point.

Last edited by cfraz; 09-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.
09-19-2012, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Inactive Account

With regard to Pentax and what their plans are and what they should be doing, I would like to make one point. When the K7 was released it was praised but people complained about it ISO, Pentax listened and the K5 was released and despite its initial problems it was and still is a fantastic camera. We are now about to see the next progression in two versions of the K5 mark two. Only time will tell if it is better or worse, but if the camera continues to evolve, surely this must be a good thing. As for Full Frame look at the Nikon 600 and the negative points being raised already. It would seem that we all want products to be bigger, faster and better than the ones we currently own, and yet we seem to forget that some fantastic images have been taken with models that are now considered old and out dated. What ever Pentax do or don't do there will be people who wont be happy and talk about switching camera brand. What ever we have, we will wont more, so perhaps some waiting will be good for us?

Last edited by Bramela; 09-19-2012 at 12:26 PM.
09-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fletcher Davies Quote
With regard to Pentax and what their plans are and what they should be doing, I would like to make one point. When the K7 was released it was praised but people complained about it ISO, Pentax listened and the K5 was released and despite its initial problems it was and still is a fantastic camera. We are now about to see the next progression in two versions of the K5 mark two. Only time will tell if it is better or worse, but if the camera continues to evolve, surely this must be a good thing. As for Full Frame look at the Nikon 600 and the negative points being raised already. It would seem that we all want products to be bigger, faster and better than the ones we currently own, and yet we seem to forget that some fantastic images have been taken with models that are now considered old and out dated. What ever Pentax do or don't do there will be people who wont be happy and talk about switching camera brand. What ever we have, we will wont more, so perhaps some waiting will be good for us?
I have to agree wholeheartedly.
It seems that the grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence. I think the want/crave for better cameras/lens is a vicious circle, no matter what is available there will always be those who want more. Progress will and must happen to keep up, but I think if we looked at the magnificent photographs being produced on this site now, with K5's etc. we can be more than proud of where Pentax is and the results coming from Pentax equiptment.

09-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

The other thing no one is mentioning is with Pentax's (apparent) knowledge of low light autofocus, this should mean we should see more of this on future Pentax bodies.

In the future, the current Low light AF + future more Focus points should make most complaining about it happy.
09-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Why does Carlson not mention in-body image stabilisation and other unique Pentax selling points when asked about the virtues of the Pentax brand?
09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The other thing no one is mentioning is with Pentax's (apparent) knowledge of low light autofocus, this should mean we should see more of this on future Pentax bodies.

In the future, the current Low light AF + future more Focus points should make most complaining about it happy.
Other bodies already have this, along with more AF points. So even with the new K-5II AF upgrades, they still lag behind the others.

09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Other bodies already have this, along with more AF points. So even with the new K-5II AF upgrades, they still lag behind the others.
I don't think you read what I said as I meant it. I'm speaking of future Pentax bodies.

And I'm not sure of any other SLR body that does -3EV

Maybe D800?

Beyond that is a good start. The extra AF points will come in future Pentax bodies (as indicated in the official Pentax response).

Last edited by mee; 09-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate to say it, but Pentax must have the "right camera" at the "right time". If someone needs to buy a camera now, they will get the closest thing that matches their requirements. If they need a full frame now, they will be jumping ship. If you're prefectly happy with your current system, then you have the luxury of waiting for CP+ and possibly another Photokina. I believe timing is very important. This year, Photokina was the year of the "Budget Full Frame". Canon, Nikon, and Sony made that very clear. Pentax missed that boat.

Next January will be CP+. It's very likely the new 7D MkII, D8000 and other high-end APS-C camera's will be announced. I'm hoping Pentax doesn't miss that boat. or have they if the K-5 II is the new flagship to bear the Pentax name for the coming 2 years?
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:40 AM.
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like my K-5.....
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do they keep letting this guy do interviews?

He is not a cheerleader for the company.
09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a fantastic and encouraging interview. I am sure that he put all of Pentaxians at ease forever. It was like Jesus or Buddha talking (or Allah).
09-19-2012, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
After Ned's departure - er - retirement, I think John is going to keep a low profile.
I respect you quite a bit, but honestly if his profile were any lower he'd be employed in Hades. The man is the official mouthpiece for Pentax USA and this performance is just another example ..... Recall his incredibly bad performance at the K-01 launch and how the Pentax UK rep was worlds better within the same context?
09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why does Carlson not mention in-body image stabilisation and other unique Pentax selling points when asked about the virtues of the Pentax brand?
Hmmmm.....given its his entire job to think of such things and any, ANY, PR person knows that "no comment" is the absolute worst thing you could say other than mentioning the competition by name - that's a very central question that I hope more senior people are asking.