Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Well that at least makes sense. Unfortunately sense or not, it still leaves the K-5II crippled in one aspect compared to competitor offerings. Let's hope the AF is lightning fast, and the IIs resolution is melt-your-face-off awesome.

09-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
But why in the world would they not have put the Prime-M into the K-5II and make it a beast with all the video functionality and faster procession of the K-01? That's what I don't get. If you're going to update something, go all the way with it.
CDAF uses the image processor to handle AF since the AF sensor is the imaging sensor. Prime M is optimized for CDAF and HD video functionality at the expense if still image quality and bit depth. Remember when they took the K-20 sensor and optimized the sensor and image processor it for HD video in the K-7? We saw a step backwards in image quality. According to Adam the K-01 does not have the same sensor as the K-5. From what I understand image processor resources are dedicated to specific functions.

Hopefully we see a K-3 Spring 2013 with improved IQ at all ISO (24MP with no AA filter), new 21-point AF array, and a more powerful image processor that can handle the demands of HD video, CDAF and not sacrifice still image quality.
09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
But why in the world would they not have put the Prime-M into the K-5II and make it a beast with all the video functionality and faster procession of the K-01? That's what I don't get. If you're going to update something, go all the way with it.
Because they never planned to release the K-5 II until recently. They had time only to add the new AF module and LCD, both essentially plug and play components that had already been developed. The intent was to release a new camera this fall with new sensor, new AF, new imaging chip, the works. But they couldn't finish the project so they decided to punt with a slight refresh of the K-5.

Release of a flagship with older tech than your entry model makes no sense otherwise. Apparently they determined it was better than no release at all for another 6-12 months (and that's probably true).

Delays of the planned camera could have been caused by any or all of:

Japan tsunami
Thailand floods
Disruption due to integration with Ricoh
Sensor not meeting design goals or supply problems
Ricoh cancelling / revising the project because it didn't meet their requirements

Next 6 months will be illuminating.

Last edited by cfraz; 09-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
09-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Next 6 months will be illuminating.
I believe you're right.

09-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Look, I wish John Carlson all the best in the world, but he's the worst Senior Marketing Manager possible for Pentax. Why? Because he shows the enthusiasm of a bag of potatoes. He knows nothing, he says nothing and he does nothing to make me feel proud to be a Pentaxian. What's worse: every time I see him I have to resist the urge to jump ship.

I start to understand why Ned left the company

This is a case in point about his concept of successful marketing.

QuoteQuote:
Yes. We're very actively going after the traditional photo specialty dealers. We had great success [in the US] with Target this year, with our waterproof compact camera, and that really helped, people seeing our name and our brand out there, but we're actively pursuing the photo specialty market.
They got some previous generation waterproof compacts into a few Target stores and they act like they were moving some K-5 and K-r through there. The fact is, may Target stores have scaled back their camera displays.

I still don't know what he means by this comment. It could very well be the end of the line for the series but then again, he actually says he hasn't seen anything in the roadmap. Maybe he is out of the loop.
QuoteQuote:
How are you planning on developing mirrorless in the future? Or is the K-01 a one-off?

I haven't seen any future roadmaps for that type of product.
09-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This is a case in point about his concept of successful marketing.

They got some previous generation waterproof compacts into a few Target stores and they act like they were moving some K-5 and K-r through there. The fact is, may Target stores have scaled back their camera displays.

I still don't know what he means by this comment. It could very well be the end of the line for the series but then again, he actually says he hasn't seen anything in the roadmap. Maybe he is out of the loop.
If I were Pentax-Ricoh's head of marketing.....oh, never mind.
09-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Probably what he saw was a roadmap for a specific period, not too far away. It makes sense to inform Pentax USA (and pretty much every dealer around the globe) about products to be launched in the near future; but going too far away is IMO unnecessary.

09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #83
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why does Carlson not mention in-body image stabilisation and other unique Pentax selling points when asked about the virtues of the Pentax brand?
Maybe he's a plant in the Pentax organization that actually works for Nikon or Canon.
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Probably what he saw was a roadmap for a specific period, not too far away. It makes sense to inform Pentax USA (and pretty much every dealer around the globe) about products to be launched in the near future; but going too far away is IMO unnecessary.
In this particular case, that would mean there is no road map regarding the K-01.
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Not in the near future, yes. Since it didn't do so well on the market, probably other things have a higher priority.
09-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not in the near future, yes. Since it didn't do so well on the market, probably other things have a higher priority.
I just don't think Carlson is that in the know about such things. In fact, he doesn't know about things he should know about.
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Why does Carlson not mention in-body image stabilisation and other unique Pentax selling points when asked about the virtues of the Pentax brand?
Because they just spent a whole bunch of time/money developing OIS and as the new HD 90mm F/2.8 shows, that is the future for Pentax lenses. The image circle for K-mount is probably not large enough to support IBIS and a FF sensor and get more than 1 stop of actual performance. They need 3-4 stops to have a competitive product. If a FF is in the plans it will be with OI$ len$e$.
09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If a FF is in the plans it will be with OI$ len$e$.
I don't believe that to be true.

SONY has in-body stabilization with their FF models as well. There isn't much safety margin required and typical lens designs have no problem of delivering.
09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe that to be true.

SONY has in-body stabilization with their FF models as well. There isn't much safety margin required and typical lens designs have no problem of delivering.
It's probably why Sony cameras look like blobs.
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I just don't think Carlson is that in the know about such things. In fact, he doesn't know about things he should know about.
Amen Brother Blue! Amen!