Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't believe that to be true.

SONY has in-body stabilization with their FF models as well. There isn't much safety margin required and typical lens designs have no problem of delivering.
If I am not mistaken the K-mount inside diameter is 45mm which is 1mm smaller than NEX E-mount and one millimeter larger than the Nikon F-mount. I don't know the exact size of the A-Mount used on the A99, but it is noticeably larger than the E-mount which is bigger than K-mount. Sony has more room. Pentax and Nikon were both designed in the film era to be as small as possible. I don't think there is room for any significant movement of a FF sensor in either a Pentax or a Nikon body. Canon has the largest with the EF mount being 54mm but since it has a shorter register distance it needs a wider mount. Sony has the second largest and its register distance is only 1mm shorter than Pentax.

A 24x36mm sensor would require an image circle of more than 43.3mm without SR. With SR how much more room do you need?

What exactly is the specification of the image circle projected by a K-mount lens?
The mount is designed to provide the smallest most compact bodies and lenses on the market. I don't think there is room.

I would be surprised it Pentax went to the expense of designing OIS for 645 and we did not see it on K-mount. They need to spread out R&D costs across as many products as possible.

09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A 24x36mm sensor would require an image circle of more than 43.3mm without SR. With SR how much more room do you need?
Very little. Maybe 3mm, 4mm at the most.

And I don't think the lens mount diameter has anything to do with it. Once a lens is attached that ceases being a variable, and there's considerably more space inside the camera body.
09-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Because they never planned to release the K-5 II until recently. They had time only to add the new AF module and LCD, both essentially plug and play components that had already been developed. The intent was to release a new camera this fall with new sensor, new AF, new imaging chip, the works. But they couldn't finish the project so they decided to punt with a slight refresh of the K-5.

Release of a flagship with older tech than your entry model makes no sense otherwise. Apparently they determined it was better than no release at all for another 6-12 months (and that's probably true).

Delays of the planned camera could have been caused by any or all of:

Japan tsunami
Thailand floods
Disruption due to integration with Ricoh
Sensor not meeting design goals or supply problems
Ricoh cancelling / revising the project because it didn't meet their requirements

Next 6 months will be illuminating.
Should I repost that last comment as a rumor about the advent of a new family of flashes?
09-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Should I repost that last comment as a rumor about the advent of a new family of flashes?
Dunno. It would be very "light" on credibility.

09-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I couldn't agree more - but I wish I could.

There is a reason why I don't have my Pentax equipment in my signature line.

My Pentaxian habit is north of $55k. I had to get a separate insurance rider to cover my stuff. I had a hard time convincing State Farm that I wasn't a pro or retailer. I always say to folks "I'm only a pro when I get paid", and that was good enough for State Farm.

Outside of Pentax and maybe some other collectors, I have some of the most unique cameras Pentax has ever made (sorry, not much from the Honeywell/Spotmatic era).

The reason I bring it up? My loyalty?

I'm no fan-girl. There are few Pentaxians like me left on the planet. I want Pentax to do better, and I'm in it for the long run.

The lack of commitment (of some employees of Pentax) to the brand and vision for the brand is alarming.

Since I can't make the money for my Pentax "hobby" taking pictures, I work for a company that has for it's CEO the guy who dislikes Bill Gates, and like Pentax, prefers the color red in our logo.

I work in development, and I make products that the world will see in a few years. I directly contribute to millions of dollars of revenue.

When I make my products, I make 100% sure that I work with product managers, and customer support personnel to make sure that I am heading in the right direction. So many people want my gig that I have to be at the top of my game. I always have to do better when it comes to my output.

I never feel comfortable. I never feel safe. I am always pushing to put a better product out the door.

In all honesty, from zero to a product out-the-door, it takes me somewhere around a year and a half, and then I do updates/tweaks based on feedback before a final product is released, so I understand the "pipeline" for product all too well.

If I can't get a product out the door in under 2 years - I'm going to get fired, and I don't kid myself on that. If I can't make something in under 2 years, something a customer is asking for, I'm in BIG trouble. Plain. Simple.

My frustration is based on how Pentax is not playing a world class game based on their strengths or talents. I have no idea how intense the folks are at Pentax USA.

When I sent Pentax my resume for that position that was open a few months ago, no one ever called. It was a job application that was weird coming from someone with my credentials - I understand that - and that was the point.

No one said "Why would she want a job with us, that would pay thousands less?".
No one cared or was interested in talking to me about the application or what was "in it" for me to even apply. It would be unlikely for me to leave my company, but contacting me would have opened a dialogue with someone that was obviously hardcore.

To me, that says that people at Pentax do not think out of the box appropriately. They are not examining opinions. They are entrenched in their own change management battles. They might have known my username from here or facebook and deemed my resume too "hot". They may view me as a "Crazy fan-girl".

Who knows, really.

I'm hoping that Pentax will wake up if enough people speak up. Fire some people. Get back on track. Get in the game.
Classic post. Thanks for that. I'm thinking of framing it!