Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #16

It's quite obvious what it is.

It's a security door knob with a palm print recognition device.

09-20-2012, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This product is an insult to all Pentax DSLR/MILC users. Apparently they had the time and money for the R&D of this product, but all we got is a revamped K-5? I mean, really, they had nothing better to do???
09-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wifi lens
09-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
FF?
I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...
It's for astro-monolith-photography: "Oh my God, it's full of stars!"

09-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #20
Banned

I hope it is going to work nice, since it can a perfect photograpic tool, for some people. Say crowds and stuf at an event or so.
09-20-2012, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I decided to leave (most of) my predictable comments bouncing around my little head when I think about the time and resources this little gem took away from other endeavors at Pentax.

It's hard to fathom that someone, somewhere, greenlighted this.

I can imagine being the manager at Pentax, when the team came to me and proposed this.

I'd have this face on when they were about 5 minutes into their presentation.

Then, when I realized they were serious, and that I had paid for their salaries for the last months/years and that this project had taken away valuable time and resources, I would have this face.

'nuff said.
09-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Prolly same reaction for thousands of Pentaxians over the world, Lauren.

btw, that camera... FF... Full Field camera? wow.... Was that how the Jap bosses understood what "FF" meant?

The truth is out there, and Mulder will be there to see this camera.

09-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax used to make a number of products that were not for the consumer market and they made a great deal of money doing so. I don't know what this thing is for, but I can see it being used for security. If it ends up a money maker, then that's a good thing.
09-20-2012, 06:37 AM - 6 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Sorry to disappoint you folks but in my previous job this would have been useful and we were starting to use extremely wide view video cameras as well. Is it an insult to you when Pentax comes out with any product that is not specifically for yourself? Do you feel insulted if they come out with a new pair of binoculars or spotting scope or rifle scope? Should you be their only targetted market?

I understand your desire for a FF camera and perhaps the need to be able to have a meaningful upgrade to your camera at least once every two years in order to take decent photographs. But to feel like it is a personal assualt or insult that the corportion produces products for other needs then your own is very selfish. Depending on the specs we might have bought several of these cameras. Perhaps we should petition Pentax to fire any designer or engineer whose job is to work on something other than your next camera or a lens that you want. For all you know the people who worked on this might never had any input into a dslr anyway. But it does not matter as it is not for you. Some people appear to like the K01 and yet there are several on this forum who trash it each and every time as it is not a product they wanted. News flash: you are not the only person Pentax is trying to make products for. You want the company to be sucessful but in reality you really only want your next camera and lens and what other people want or need is not only immaterial but is a determint for you getting what you think you need. And I do realize that many of the comnments were light hearted and in jest but some of them were not and it is those and the constant bashing of all products you are not personally interested in that has gotten very tiresome.
09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Pentax used to make a number of products that were not for the consumer market and they made a great deal of money doing so. I don't know what this thing is for, but I can see it being used for security. If it ends up a money maker, then that's a good thing.

That was my first thought as well. A small discrete 360 degree security cam.
09-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ricoh may be looking at an industrial market for these? Think about it. What average customer would use this? Looks more along the lines of being for scientific work? Maybe this is how they roll when they're not making DSLR's and such. Someone has to make work cams. If they make enough money doing that maybe it helps their bottom line, which means they can make more DSLR's....
09-20-2012, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

That's all nice and well, but Photokina is a consumer show. If this new 360 degree camera is a scientific/industrial camera then they've chosen the wrong show to put it on display.

I assume the counter people at the show know what this camera is for and how it's supposed to work. Is this information on the web already?
09-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At first, I thought it was a yo-yo camera. Hysterical
09-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Ricoh may be looking at an industrial market for these? Think about it. What average customer would use this? Looks more along the lines of being for scientific work? Maybe this is how they roll when they're not making DSLR's and such. Someone has to make work cams. If they make enough money doing that maybe it helps their bottom line, which means they can make more DSLR's....
I don't think it's a Ricoh product *cough*

Maybe they found it in the rafters and thought - "oh well, let's put it out there"
09-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I believe they'll make extremely good money out of this camera in the CG industry to create 360° 24-bit HDR lighting environments. The lucrative cinema, gaming, archviz, etc etc markets, anything 3D that requires real-world lighting, this is the answer CGI has been seeking. This camera is a winner. They don't even have to make it, just licence it and rake the royalties in.