Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: $2500 basic FF or top spec APS-C - Please read initial post befor voting
Basic FF 11928.61%
Hi-spec APS-C 24057.69%
Don't care! 5713.70%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello Ted;

When you a few years, that is still too vague. I am quite sure that it may be on the horizon within a much more compressed time frame than a few (2,3,4 etc.) years.

Ben
Ben, you just made my day, no, you made my week! To say that is exciting news is the understatement of the year! Long live Pentax and Samsung!

Ted

02-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hello Ted;

When you a few years, that is still too vague. I am quite sure that it may be on the horizon within a much more compressed time frame than a few (2,3,4 etc.) years.

Ben
Theys better hurry up and start building that new range of lenses then
02-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Theys better hurry up and start building that new range of lenses then
They already have a nice little head start with the millions of Pentax FF lenses that are in circulation.
02-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
They already have a nice little head start with the millions of Pentax FF lenses that are in circulation.
All in the hands of existing users and mostly not up to the job with the exception of some rare and expensive examples that are going for silly ebay prices.

That wont do much for attracting new customers, nor would they make revenue out of new lens sales. Thats not a great business model.

02-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
All in the hands of existing users and mostly not up to the job with the exception of some rare and expensive examples that are going for silly ebay prices.

That wont do much for attracting new customers, nor would they make revenue out of new lens sales. Thats not a great business model.
Of course you are right that they won't make any money off those old lenses, but they will serve as a stop-gap until they can ramp up development and production of FF lenses. I think many people are in a state of denial about the current situation that exists between Samsung and Pentax. We are so used to thinking of Pentax as that small, quiet, humble and wonderful brand with limited R&D. When they teamed up with Samsung, that changed everything (except the wonderful part). I think we will be able to have our cake and eat it too

Regards,

Ted
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #21

If I were to take the example as set out by the OP. I'd have to go with the APS-C sensor. If we had a crackin' body that was similar to the D2X (i.e high end APS-C), then all pro level guys would be satiated and the measurbators would go silent. This would then allow Pentax to take the time to develop a FF sensor and the supporting lenses for it.
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
lol. I guess that answers the theoretical speculation about what Pentax has in the works just in case Nikon/Canon bring FF to the midrange

Thanks, Ben.

FF to me would mean a better landscape camera and better low light performance, but it doesn't mean I'd get rid of my APS-C K20D which I'd use for sports/wildlife, etc. (anything that needs the free 1.5x multiplier).

ken

02-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
lol. I guess that answers the theoretical speculation about what Pentax has in the works just in case Nikon/Canon bring FF to the midrange

Thanks, Ben.

FF to me would mean a better landscape camera and better low light performance, but it doesn't mean I'd get rid of my APS-C K20D which I'd use for sports/wildlife, etc. (anything that needs the free 1.5x multiplier).

ken
Absolutely, Ken. I don't plan on getting rid of my K10D after I eventually buy the K?D. The K10D will serve as a great back-up body.

Ted
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Looks like the voting is finished and I missed adding my voice ...however, I am with Richard on this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
First some basic facts.

The alternative is to use the same (or even better) APS-C sensor and use the extra money, i.e. double ($180), to build a pro-spec body with fast fps, hi-speed 1/500 sec flash sync, the fastest tracking AF, big 100% x1.2 VF, GPS, wi-fi etc., etc.,

With the second option, you have the benefit of increased DOF, effective larger aperture for the same FOV, smaller lenses for the same FOV from approx 35mm upwards, plus all the advanced pro features that so many have clamoured/are still clamouring for.

Please vote now!
I agree ...I think a pro-spec body with an APS-C sensor and a selection of good lenes like the DA* series will offer Pentax an opportunity to gain market share as this will appeal to the "enthusiast" market and perhaps even some PJ's and other professional photographers.

I personally would buy in to that ...in fact it is the reason I stayed with Pentax and didn't jump ship as this is where I thought Pentax were going. And hope they still are...

Cheers, Mike.
02-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Echos of the past

I am just old enough to remember the never ending discussions about 35mm vs 120 film, and how the 35mm camera just could not produce the image quality .... blah, blah, blah.

It cost me a bundle to make the switch to digital because the smaller sensor made high quality super wide (in 35mm terms) lenses a necessity to maintain my wide angle ability compared to the FA 24-90, but I have now made the switch.

As one professional columnist mentioned, 6 mp is enough for a magazine cover - 14 mp should be able to hit 20x30 inches without even breathing hard.
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Hi Sune

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Why would Canon sell the 5D, if they’re losing money on it ?
Inkjet printers are a prime example of this marketing model.....sell the actual machines as a 'loss leader', but wring massive profits from the customer further down the line by charging an extortionate amount for replacement ink cartridges, which empty themselves at an alarming rate ! I speak from bitter experience, believe me....thank goodness for cheapo 3rd party suppliers !
I am reliably informed for example, that although the VW group charge €1,100,000 (net price without taxes) for each
Bugatti Veyron they make, a considerable sum of money is lost on each sale !
The same thing applies in the case of all those OTT 'concept' cars so beloved of the motor-industry, which cost an absolute fortune to create. The game is all about market perception and getting YOUR particular product noticed on the world stage. Logic doesn't enter into it.......corporate ego undoubtedly does, in the hope that it will inject much-needed pizzazz and shine to lesser products further down the food chain....go figure !
As somebody previously pointed out, the REAL money that manufacturers generate is from producing lenses and accessories sold to consumers such as ourselves. It's quite a simple formula really, get the customer 'hooked and then keep 'em coming back for more......hence chronic LBA !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-04-2008 at 04:01 AM.
02-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #27
Busiko

FF body pricing!

If Pentax ever makes the decision to market a FF body and from all the good points expressed here, they can go either way: an expensive FF body (cost wise) with a Kaf mount for compatibility, or FF body with a very new mount. This body could be low cost, hi featured, and the return would come from each and every new lens that would have to be made for that new mount.
As far as developing a FF sensor, I'm sure that who designs and makes an APS-C 15Mpxl one only have to make it larger on the silicon, so no problem on this matter.
Rui
02-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Here is an interesting interview with Ned Bunnell, who most will recognize as the President of Pentax Imaging in the US, I think he has articulated the issues of what Pentax has to do and I think he is right on the money.

Photo Reporter - Photography Industry News

Mike.
02-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #29

My ideal setup would be a studio centric FF Pentax DSLR along side a sports/PJ APS-C DSLR.

If the basic FF DSLR was cheaper than the competitors equivalents then it's a no-brainer for me.

bazz.
02-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
My ideal setup would be a studio centric FF Pentax DSLR along side a sports/PJ APS-C DSLR.

If the basic FF DSLR was cheaper than the competitors equivalents then it's a no-brainer for me.

bazz.
Id rather have the 645D!