Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #136
Forum Member

Transcript still missing?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the full overview of the interview, with pictures:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see a transcript in that thread. (Yes, I searched for "transcript".)

Therefore, here's yet another request to have you post that English transcript that you obviously already have in hand. I'm making this request for two reasons:

1) A video is not likely to be [text-]searchable by any of your forum tools or by Google, and

2) Those of us with dialup connections are largely unable to download a video file.

So, how about it, can we get that transcript?

09-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infosyn Quote
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't see a transcript in that thread. (Yes, I searched for "transcript".)

Therefore, here's yet another request to have you post that English transcript that you obviously already have in hand. I'm making this request for two reasons:

1) A video is not likely to be [text-]searchable by any of your forum tools or by Google, and

2) Those of us with dialup connections are largely unable to download a video file.

So, how about it, can we get that transcript?
Photokina Pentax Interview Transcript - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Don't forget that PentaxForums is also not only a forum Important stuff like this can be found on the front page.
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
I have a feeling that Pentax and Ricoh will be one.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Agreed, and i dont think this is subjective : it is rather a survival MUST.
And a very interesting prospect.
10-02-2012, 11:00 PM - 11 Likes   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax future/past perspective

As a pro who has used Pentax bodies and glass my entire career (ES, K2, K2DMD, MX, LX, PZ-1, PZ-1P, MZ-S, 67, 67II, *istD, K10D, K20, K7, K5, K-30, 645D), I'm going to chime in and say this...it's all about making great photographs, and it always has been.
If you have a personal consistent vision, mastery of your craft and your system, you can make superior quality images with any number of cameras, but the glass is always the ultimate key. For me, the ruggedness and light weight nature of Pentax gear meant I could carry less weight and more optics into hard rough places, and come back with images that I could sell. I've made a good living for 30 years with Pentax gear, and still do. I've never had to apologize to any stock agent or photo editor for my image quality, and have been with Getty and Corbis for longer than the golden age of stock. They've always taken my selects.

And now, I still have lightweight, weather sealed, rugged bodies with a reasonable array of superb optics and more on the way. When the 645D surpassed my venerable 67's (with which I shot more than half of my 200 book and magazine covers), I went MF digital and just carried the 645D and 3 great lenses up to the summit of Mt. Whitney two weeks ago, and down the river in Grand Canyon this summer. Try that with an Hassy MF...

Can enhancements be achieved to Pentax bodies? Yes, of course, but I'll take the K5 over any FF monster out there at present. When and if Pentax does release an FF body it will still be lighter, with a smarter easier faster interface than the C&N folks could ever dream of. Until then I'm shooting travel features, ads, campaigns and more with the K5 (can't wait to try the K5IIs), the surprisingly superb K-30 (best low-cost APS-C body out there for me), and the 645D whenever I can use it.

I'll close by saying I've always taken a perverse pleasure in being unique among my peers, using Pentax to make a living and stand out from the crowd. Be an iconoclast if it suits you, and then, just go shoot the world. We already have access to higher quality imagemaking potential than I ever dreamed possible, and it's just getting better. My 2 1/2 cents, written from the road...

10-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #140
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best 2 1/2 cents I've seen in a while
10-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjames5 Quote
I'll close by saying I've always taken a perverse pleasure in being unique among my peers, using Pentax to make a living and stand out from the crowd. Be an iconoclast if it suits you, and then, just go shoot the world. We already have access to higher quality imagemaking potential than I ever dreamed possible, and it's just getting better. My 2 1/2 cents, written from the road...
Posts like this by people who've made it to the higher rungs of the success ladder are just inspiring.
10-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #142
Veteran Member

www.kerrickjames.com
Wonderful images!

10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #143

Dear kjames5 ,
great post and inspiring. That was a nice perspect to give to all of us cry babies! You nailed it and Pentax does have some great products out right now. The k-30 is unbelievalbe for the money. The high res at 200 ISO is up there with the D5 Mark II. Crazy good.
Nice to hear a pro talk about what is possible with Pentax. It only takes good skill, creativety and determnation to get great shots with these cameas.

Racerdew
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Best 2 1/2 cents I've seen in a while
Same for me
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the kind words everyone. I don't chime in much but felt the need to vent and give my perspective on the state of Pentax.
We all have different needs I realize, and I respect our differences as a community, but it does seem that a bit of whining has infected this Forum...

Best to all of you and good shooting!
10-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #146
Banned

I'll close by saying I've always taken a perverse pleasure in being unique among my peers, using Pentax to make a living and stand out from the crowd.
Unfortunately, this is also a testament to Pentax being unsuccessful. And that is the main concern that people have. Personal vision and mastery of the craft can make you happy with what you have (and even perversely happy), but they don't guarantee the success of the brand (I wrote 'company' initially, but the company no longer exists).
10-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Unfortunately, this is also a testament to Pentax being unsuccessful. And that is the main concern that people have. Personal vision and mastery of the craft can make you happy with what you have (and even perversely happy), but they don't guarantee the success of the brand (I wrote 'company' initially, but the company no longer exists).
Market share and "being successful" aren't the same things. Lots of companies have small market share but are successful, i.e. they make money, they stay in business.
10-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #148
Veteran Member

thanks for the kind words everyone. I don't chime in much but felt the need to vent and give my perspective on the state of Pentax.
We all have different needs I realize, and I respect our differences as a community, but it does seem that a bit of whining has infected this Forum...
nobody is denying Pentax cameras can take phenomenal photos (except perhaps in the professional sports arena), otherwise why even bother registering at PF...

people are discussing Pentax in relation to the market. this is vital because a healthy standing in the market means more support, more lenses, more cameras, more accessories ie. more Pentax and all the things we collectively cherish about it.

Last edited by illdefined; 10-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
10-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #149

I completely agree with kjames5. He said, much better than I could, what I was trying to say in my earlier post. The K-5 and its lenses is a far better travel camera than anything Canon can offer, and has an unbeatable combination of ruggedness and low-light capabilitiy.

As for "success", it's OK to be a niche player if you have a USP - take Leica, for example. And the Pentax system certainly has a USP.

Peter Lea
10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #150
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Market share and "being successful" aren't the same things. Lots of companies have small market share but are successful, i.e. they make money, they stay in business.
Well, Pentax didn't stay in business, so even by your suspect theory it was unsuccessful. Pentax the company is dead. What Ricoh will do with Pentax the brand remains to be seen, but if they do something successful, it is Ricoh that will be successful and responsible for that success.