Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I will post this here and nowhere else, so I hope you guys don't miss it. The Pentax reps and I did talk a little after the interview, and I did get the impression that they were working on an FF system. It really does seem inevitable at this point.

Consider that they *ist D was originally designed for an FF sensor, and that it has room for one. Recall that a K-1 prototype was made. Full-frame isn't brand-new territory for Pentax: they made film cameras and very complete lens systems for years, so all they need to do is give the project the green light and build on their APS-C bodies and protoypes.

Obviously an FF system doesn't sprout up overnight...and when I jokingly asked the reps if I should already book my airplane ticket to CP+, I was told fairly clearly that no, the FF won't be shown at CP+. Then a comment followed saying that 18-24-36 months is the typical camera system development time. I do wish Pentax Ricoh all the best with their developments, and I understand that they need (much) more time not only to gain more market share, but also to satisfy their loyal customer base. It was very fortunate to hear, however, that Ricoh intends to make its loyal customers happy. I'm sure they'll do a good job of it
Meanwhile, while I don't hold my breath for this, I hope for a K-3 with a 24 megapixel sensor, no AA etc. :P (not holding my breath as it's at least far away, and will probably very expensive).

09-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Thank you Adam.
09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If no FF will be shown at CP+ (which, I'm fine with and can patiently wait), the question becomes "What will be shown at CP+?"

Lenses only? Or a new flagship APS-C? Maybe that "surprise" ? Heh.

That said.. I really appreciate the time put into the interview - also really appreciated Pentax Ricoh's efforts to sit with you guys for 30mins+ answering all those questions. 30mins is a long time for an expo. Although, my head does hurt a little listening to the broken English
09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Adam, one more question.

I know you had stated reservations about improved AF from K-5 to K-5 II. Now that you've spoken to Pentax and even seen the cameras, what are your thoughts on this? Still reserved or do you feel they have improved?

09-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
If no FF will be shown at CP+ (which, I'm fine with and can patiently wait), the question becomes "What will be shown at CP+?"

That said.. I really appreciate the time put into the interview - also really appreciated Pentax Ricoh's efforts to sit with you guys for 30mins+ answering all those questions. 30mins is a long time for an expo. Although, my head does hurt a little listening to the broken English
I'd be just fine with lenses only. I think they have a lot of work to do to catch Sigma right now, perhaps even Tamron in some regards. Although, if they have indeed solved the SDM issues on the 16-50, that is a HUGE step.
09-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I'd be just fine with lenses only. I think they have a lot of work to do to catch Sigma right now, perhaps even Tamron in some regards. Although, if they have indeed solved the SDM issues on the 16-50, that is a HUGE step.
Indeed - I'd love to see more lenses with DC motors in them. My experiences with the 18-135 WR DC has been good - it's super fast at focusing, even on my (relatively) crappy K20D in indoor low light. I can only imagine that the 560mm will be super fast too, especially if its not pushing a lot of heavy glass to focus.

Based on that interview though, maybe they'll come out with DA lenses that have aperture rings That'd be interesting.
09-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Indeed - I'd love to see more lenses with DC motors in them. My experiences with the 18-135 WR DC has been good - it's super fast at focusing, even on my (relatively) crappy K20D in indoor low light. I can only imagine that the 560mm will be super fast too, especially if its not pushing a lot of heavy glass to focus.

Based on that interview though, maybe they'll come out with DA lenses that have aperture rings That'd be interesting.
Definitely intrigued by the idea of the 18-135 WR DC! I don't even have an SDM/HSM lens, but I think that could be a fantastic one to add to my line-up.
09-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I believe he was referring to Pentax's share in the DSLR market
Yes indeed. 10% of 5% isn't very much - they may think they need to get the 5% up first - and that's probably the main sticking point.

Thoroughly enjoyable and informative interview though - it must have taken a lot longer than the video length to complete. My guess is a K3 before a FF - a K3 fit for professionals. Next year, with a FF to follow that.

Last edited by Dave L; 09-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.
09-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
This may be true but you're missing Pal Jenson's point. Pentax needs to sell more apsc cameras to move forwards.

OK....But where are MORE new APS-C cameras? K-30?
09-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

I think we should stop FF discussion till 2014. No any chances to see such camera from Pentax in the nearest 18 months.
09-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I will post this here and nowhere else, so I hope you guys don't miss it. The Pentax reps and I did talk a little after the interview, and I did get the impression that they were working on an FF system. It really does seem inevitable at this point.

Consider that they *ist D was originally designed for an FF sensor, and that it has room for one. Recall that a K-1 prototype was made. Full-frame isn't brand-new territory for Pentax: they made film cameras and very complete lens systems for years, so all they need to do is give the project the green light and build on their APS-C bodies and protoypes.

Obviously an FF system doesn't sprout up overnight...and when I jokingly asked the reps if I should already book my airplane ticket to CP+, I was told fairly clearly that no, the FF won't be shown at CP+. Then a comment followed saying that 18-24-36 months is the typical camera system development time. I do wish Pentax Ricoh all the best with their developments, and I understand that they need (much) more time not only to gain more market share, but also to satisfy their loyal customer base. It was very fortunate to hear, however, that Ricoh intends to make its loyal customers happy. I'm sure they'll do a good job of it
Well,

Life goes on and I may get the IIs.
09-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #42
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think we should stop FF discussion till 2014. No any chances to see such camera from Pentax in the nearest 18 months.
Hurray.
09-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #43
Pentaxian

The APS-C 24MP K-3.
09-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #44

My bet is APS-C 24MP K3 at CP+ and a FF at Photokina 2013 (either the final product or something to be launched in early 2014)...
09-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #45
Pentaxian

K-5 III at CP+ and K-5 IIIx at Photokina 2014