Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 12:27 PM - 4 Likes   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
FF is already close to 10% of market or even bigger. It's rather high result.
5% - it was several years ago.

Canon, Nikon and Sony have 90% of DSLR market, more than 10% of cameras are FF.
This may be true but you're missing Pal Jenson's point. Pentax needs to sell more apsc cameras to move forwards.

That brings me back to my point: What does a brand new K30 owner, or more importantly, a potential K30 owner who visits this forum for the first time make of all this whining and complaining. This torrent of insults directed at Pentax would put me off if I was lurking here. You FF guys are definitely hurting Pentax, kicking them when they are down. I have done my share of serious complaining too I admit it! But enough is enough, I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg just because It's not a Faberge. I'm recalibrating my attitude.

You can't always get what you want in life? Anyone else notice this?

Thank's much for interview Adam.

09-22-2012, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
This is so very true. Why can't people understand this!?

Pentax has been put through the wringer changing owners while other more established companies have remained stable. This has put Pentax at a disadvantage and has put them behind the curve a little bit. It also seems obvious, at least to me, that a fine Japanese company like Pentax Ricoh needs to be treated with respect if you want to convince them to listen to your needs. The loud complainers on this forum (me included) run the risk of making themselves look utterly foolish and without credibility.

This forum can hurt Pentax terribly, and especially newcomers to Pentax, by too much negativity here. It would probably be better for some of the FF fanatics to go ahead and move on to other systems. Maybe it's time for more new Pentax users and new blood.
It looks a bit as though you think we owe something a bit more than respect. As for "moving on to other systems", well, why not? Last March I was wondering what all the fuss was about FF cameras and decided to rent one and find out for myself, rather hoping that any differences I noticed compared to my K-5 would be trivial. Being impatient and thus unwilling to wait to try the new Canon 5DIII or Nikon D800, I rented a Canon 5DII for a week along with a good Canon lens and, rather to my annoyance, was quite blown away by the superiority of the whole experience, not just the picture quality (the most obvious difference being low light photos) but also the astonishing speed and accuracy of the focusing of that particular lens/camera combination (ironically enough, in Canon forums people complain about the autofocus of the 5DII compared to more recent cameras). The day after I returned the camera I bought a 5DII and the same lens (along with other lenses since then), sold my Pentax equipment and haven't looked back. My only pangs came in departing with my older Pentax lenses and DA 40mm Ltd which, to these eyes, look nicer than anything made by Canon (who recently released their own 40mm pancake which, next to the Pentax, looks clumsy and cheap) - and, what's more, would have worked on a full-frame camera. But nostalgia, brand loyalty, the slight snob appeal from owning what's not part of a ubiquitous brand, etc., only get you so far; it's the results that matter, and I really don't see why someone who wants a FF camera should be made to feel bad about not patiently holding out like a grateful serf until Pentax is able to provide one. (Even if there were no such thing as a FF camera I would probably have switched: having a marvelous body such as the K-5 is all very well, but it would be nice if Pentax had an array of lenses of comparable quality to go with it.)

I doubt my experience is unique and, while I may of course be wrong, I suspect it's not so much "respect" that will make Pentax/Ricoh listen as the risk of losing customers to what strikes me as being superior systems.
09-22-2012, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Inactive Account

I think forums are a good place for people to discuss, debate, celebrate and even vent. I haven't posted anything in months, patiently waiting what would be revealed at Photokina. To me, it looks like more of the same, and if Pentax had no immediate plans to release a full frame, then they should have come out and said so. What difference would that have made had they announced something to that regard, yet insisted they still have exciting products coming?

All negative all the time can be a big downer, but I can't blame loyal Pentax customers voicing their displeasure for something they've wanted to see happen to their favorite camera brand.

So, that's great for Pentax to be making some neat and innovative products, along with improvements to their existing lineup. However, it still falls short of what more than just a hand full of negative people have been waiting for.

It's true, for now. We can't always get what we want in life, but when we're talking about dslr's I damn sure can go get something, NOW, I want instead of waiting for the double secret probation to end for Pentax.

Anyway, I was soured with the exaggerated lens hike back in April, and I haven't seen anything to get all worked up about one way or the other. It's just status quo, and for some people, that's fine, while for others, it's ho hum, and on to the next. I fall into the latter category. Doesn't make me negative, as I don't come on here and complain. I just makes me impartial to Pentax, understanding there are camera brands that do give people what they want. So take that any way you like.
09-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why no qustions about the 645D system?

09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This may be true but you're missing Pal Jenson's point. Pentax needs to sell more apsc cameras to move forwards.

That brings me back to my point: What does a brand new K30 owner, or more importantly, a potential K30 owner who visits this forum for the first time make of all this whining and complaining. This torrent of insults directed at Pentax would put me off if I was lurking here. You FF guys are definitely hurting Pentax, kicking them when they are down. I have done my share of serious complaining too I admit it! But enough is enough, I don't want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg just because It's not a Faberge. I'm recalibrating my attitude.

You can't always get what you want in life? Anyone else notice this?

Thank's much for interview Adam.
You have to remember, this is right after Photokina. The forum will return to normal soon and all will be quiet outside the Rumors forum. The bitching and moaning (mine included) will tail off for the rest of the year, slowly increasing as we approach the next camera trade show, hitting it's peak as soon as Pentax announces the K5III with with a revolutionary 1/185 instead of 1/180 sync speed and a whopping 12 AF points.
09-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
What does a brand new K30 owner, or more importantly, a potential K30 owner who visits this forum for the first time make of all this whining and complaining.
They should realize that there is no clear product roadmap for Ricoh/Pentax products and customers are upset about that.
09-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Well, I got good vibes from the interview".
Same here and no real difficulty with the accent of the translator either, I have an unfair advantage of speaking with an accent.
All the smiling caught my attention, same with the comment of " we like to surprise you sometimes".
Thanks for bringing this to us PF and PE.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.
09-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #23

I like the interview.

Somewhere they say something like "...we will bring out a proffessional camera..."
Why do they state it like that. It must be "more" than lets say a K5 III

"...we are developing a lot..."

"...we are looking even closer into this..." "...is in the air so far..." "...we like to surprise you sometimes..."

To me the direction is clear

What I am wondering more is whats the plan with the FAs. In another report it was stated that no FA Ltds were at the boost. Reading between the lines about Aero Bright and HD coating ("..depending on the product...") maybe they are working on a DFA31 1.8 HD and so on. Lets see what comes.

Looking good to me. Will receive my DA300 soon and will "play" with my current setup for another half a year. Maybe there are some hints with lenses at the CP+ and in a year we will know for sure more
09-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like what they said about the AF on K5 II. I see it in my arsenal shortly after the first reviews.
edit: just might have to be the II-S
09-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

An actual room would've been nice to cut down on the noise.
09-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
An actual room would've been nice to cut down on the noise.
Well the noise was big in the back of the Pentax stand, so there was no alternative. The people from Pentax where running from interviwe to interview, or talking to industrie guys.
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

As I have posted elsewhere I'm surprised that we basically got a clear "NO(t yet)" regarding the FF development question.

One the one hand I'd wish I could purchase an FF model as soon as possible, on the other hand, the response makes it easier to spring for a K-5 II (or K-3) without fearing to regret the decision soon when the FF becomes available.

BTW, a question regarding the future of Pentax USA lens pricing would have been prudent, AFAIC.
No matter how great the bodies are, with the current online lens prices, I see no future for Pentax (at least in the USA).
09-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the noise was big in the back of the Pentax stand, so there was no alternative. The people from Pentax where running from interviwe to interview, or talking to industrie guys.
Proper microphones would have done a better job at isolating the interview from the background noise.
09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I will post this here and nowhere else, so I hope you guys don't miss it. The Pentax reps and I did talk a little after the interview, and I did get the impression that they were working on an FF system. It really does seem inevitable at this point.

Consider that they *ist D was originally designed for an FF sensor, and that it has room for one. Recall that a K-1 prototype was made. Full-frame isn't brand-new territory for Pentax: they made film cameras and very complete lens systems for years, so all they need to do is give the project the green light and build on their APS-C bodies and protoypes.

Obviously an FF system doesn't sprout up overnight...and when I jokingly asked the reps if I should already book my airplane ticket to CP+, I was told fairly clearly that no, the FF won't be shown at CP+. Then a comment followed saying that 18-24-36 months is the typical camera system development time. I do wish Pentax Ricoh all the best with their developments, and I understand that they need (much) more time not only to gain more market share, but also to satisfy their loyal customer base. It was very fortunate to hear, however, that Ricoh intends to make its loyal customers happy. I'm sure they'll do a good job of it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I will post this here and nowhere else, so I hope you guys don't miss it. The Pentax reps and I did talk a little after the interview, and I did get the impression that they were working on an FF system. It really does seem inevitable at this point.

Consider that they *ist D was originally designed for an FF sensor, and that it has room for one. Recall that a K-1 prototype was made. Full-frame isn't brand-new territory for Pentax: they made film cameras and very complete lens systems for years, so all they need to do is give the project the green light and build on their APS-C bodies and protoypes.

Obviously an FF system doesn't sprout up overnight...and when I jokingly asked the reps if I should already book my airplane ticket to CP+, I was told fairly clearly that no, the FF won't be shown at CP+. Then a comment followed saying that 18-24-36 months is the typical camera system development time. I do wish Pentax Ricoh all the best with their developments, and I understand that they need (much) more time not only to gain more market share, but also to satisfy their loyal customer base. It was very fortunate to hear, however, that Ricoh intends to make its loyal customers happy. I'm sure they'll do a good job of it
Thank you so much, Adam! Personally, I'm not in the FF camp, at least for quite a while. I like the idea of the size, but not the price and don't need the features. It is real nice to hear the things about the K-5 II and other pieces, though! I would really like to have more Pentax brand lens options, and at more reasonable prices for some of them, but I'll still gladly shoot with a Pentax body and a Tamron/Sigma/Pentax set of lenses. It's all about the person behind the camera, Pentax gives us more than capable tools in front of our eye!