Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #31
gtl
Veteran Member

Sadly I do think that FF won't be coming, just by looking at the lens road map. I am not sure why Adam is so optimistic. I have seen the interview too, and I find it hard to conclude definitely that they are planning a FF model. I certainly hope I am wrong on this and I would not be jumping ship yet.

I do however like screwdrive lenses rather than sdm lenses or dc lenses. This lenses last forever. I would take the durability vs sound trade off anytime.

09-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #32
Pentaxian

645D is irrelevant for 90+% of DSLR's users, it is not in any way a good general use camera. It is a landscape camera, maybe a studio camera, that's it. Price aside I wouldn't swap my K-5 for a 645D.
09-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Sadly I do think that FF won't be coming, just by looking at the lens road map. I am not sure why Adam is so optimistic. I have seen the interview too, and I find it hard to conclude definitely that they are planning a FF model. I certainly hope I am wrong on this and I would not be jumping ship yet.

I do however like screwdrive lenses rather than sdm lenses or dc lenses. This lenses last forever. I would take the durability vs sound trade off anytime.
100% agree, from the interview it appears FF is not on the way for at least 2 years if ever. The next 2 years will see many people abandoning Pentax for D600s/A99s/6Ds.
09-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
Inactive Account

I'm stupefied by the tremendous number of inquiries about FF, despite the main defect of K5, which is sound treatment, with not even a manual adjustment of gain. People who travel by plane and like take some video sequences, would appreciate not to have to carry a videocamera. The video mode is a pity on K5, mainly because of sound, moreover stupid that image is superb, even in low lights or simple VGA mode.
The argue about W-A on FF is like angel's sex: present W-A zooms are a very good solution. Not for self-called experts, I agree. APS-C, maybe suspected of a lost of quality on first cameras, is in fact a very acceptable compromise, and weight and surely cost saving. Who makes A2 prints?
For my own, after the disappointment, considering Pentax is not able to update his firmware on so small point, I went to conclusion that Nikon and Canon take much more care of the reality of markets and customers needs. So, after 40 years of Pentax, I could be near of a radical change !
(I apologize for my poor english...)

09-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Yeah, it's very nice here The whole of my county, Finnmark, is actually. Next time you visit, check out Lofoten, farther south, in Nordland county, it's magnificent.
Just check out my gallery....
09-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Interesting infos.

With such a price tag for both 645 body and lenses, and the "nothing to hurry" proper to MF market versus 35mm's IQ's progresses, we should see the first Pentax FF body before Pentax replaces the current 645D IMHO.
Remember the Nikon D700 that is just now beeing replaced, after more than 3 years in production...
I think you're wrong here. I expect a 645 upgrade next year but I could be wrong of course....
09-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
645D is irrelevant for 90+% of DSLR's users, it is not in any way a good general use camera. It is a landscape camera, maybe a studio camera, that's it. Price aside I wouldn't swap my K-5 for a 645D.

That is true. But the same is true for an FF camera.
MF Digital is a niche Pentax is a major player in. In fact, as others have already pointed out, the 645D is pretty unique. FF is a market where Pentax would be very marginal; Sony flopped in their first FF entry and I would not be surprised if they do it again.
Pentax need to get their marketshare increased significantly; possibly double at least, until they can think about having an FF camera in the market that is not going to be a loss leader. To do that they need more popular APS cameras and more models.
09-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #38
Pentaxian

100% agree, from the interview it appears FF is not on the way for at least 2 years if ever. The next 2 years will see many people abandoning Pentax for D600s/A99s/6Ds.
We will see far more people joining Pentax for their compact, weathersealed APS models and their unique APS lens range...

09-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
We will see far more people joining Pentax for their compact, weathersealed APS models and their unique APS lens range...
Yes, probably, hopefully they will buy my lenses.
09-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think FF will be, but not early than 2014.

As for 645DII - I think - next year.
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The last SLR line to try compete with a smaller sensor than the competition, small and weathersealed cameras and an amazing glass lineup....wasnt enough to keep Olympus from abandoning SLRs forever.

why/how will it be different for Pentax?

Last edited by illdefined; 09-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.
09-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #42

I'm beginning to wonder if they are planning to supprise the users with a cheep 645, using basically what they produce at the moment, but priced low enough to take on full-frame from the top or the middle of the Market? All the bits are there, it'd just be a case of reducing the price.
The interview in OPs Q&A seems to back this, with the other stuff that we've been hearing, as they seem to be saying that they want to keep to 3 different lines: Q, and small sensor, K and apsc, and 645.
09-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobandirus Quote
I'm beginning to wonder if they are planning to supprise the users with a cheep 645, using basically what they produce at the moment, but priced low enough to take on full-frame from the top or the middle of the Market? All the bits are there, it'd just be a case of reducing the price.
The interview in OPs Q&A seems to back this, with the other stuff that we've been hearing, as they seem to be saying that they want to keep to 3 different lines: Q, and small sensor, K and apsc, and 645.
With what lenses though? Even if they release a cheap 645D, the lenses are $1000+ and there are a grand total of 3 modern lenses. It would be a hard sell for someone looking for FF especially when compared to the D800 and all its myriad features, lenses and accessories.

I think they are better off reducing the price of the 645D replacement to around $7000 and advertising it as a step-up from FF. Which would mean they would still need an FF camera but I won't go there (which I just did).
09-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
With what lenses though? Even if they release a cheap 645D, the lenses are $1000+ and there are a grand total of 3 modern lenses. It would be a hard sell for someone looking for FF especially when compared to the D800 and all its myriad features, lenses and accessories.

I think they are better off reducing the price of the 645D replacement to around $7000 and advertising it as a step-up from FF. Which would mean they would still need an FF camera but I won't go there (which I just did).
The lenses are a bit of a sticking point in my theory. I wonder if they can work the price of the lenses down? It'd be an interesting move, if thats what they are planning.
09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Ah OK.

I seems that Europe in general is much better served by Pentax than the US.
This is from the Imaging Resource Interview with John Carlson:
DE: Turning for the moment to medium format, another reader question, the 645D was released in December of 2010. What sort of need do you see to refresh offerings in that line up and can you talk generally about both the near term and the longer term plans for that line?

JC: Not specifics, but right now we’re focusing on expanding the lens line-up because, while you can use the older film lenses, they’re not currently available for distribution by us. So I think that’s where we need to go first is expand the line up. So now we’re up to 3 lenses--the 55mm f/2.8, the 25mm f/4, and the 90mm f/2.8. But I think that that type of camera, just by the nature of the product, the price, everything has to have a longer life cycle.