Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by winder Quote
they should have announced that at the show..... It would have been bigger than any product the showed.
+1

09-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The original poster said it was a mistake. He thought that was a new patent but apparently is some kind of giving out/separate his right of the DA10-17 design.
Ok, this was a misunderstanding, right? There is no hint Hirakawa may be involved in any new PRIC developments, right? Just to make this clear before the rumourmill starts spinning too fast
09-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #18

Sorry it is me to post that news.....
I was too exciting and post that news before even go through the whole patent.....
09-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #19
Banned

I don't get all the fuss, but......................well I have some lenses from his design.....................they are nice......................and next to Marc Newson he is my favorite designer

09-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Wow! Hope this is true. The 77 & the 31 are such wonderful lenses.
He was not involved in the 31mm design.
09-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
Banned

Nice line-up:

Hirakawa Jun - Camerapedia

I owned 14mm wich is fantastic. And have 40mmLtd, 55mm and 85mm wich are al great!
09-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax needs to get a lot done before they can launch an FX system, so this is great news!
Adam,
Any chance of following up on this and finding out if it is true? Rehiring Mr. Hirakawa Jun shouldn't be a corporate secret, and it would really ignite some positive energy (which is sorely lacking right now) toward Pentax-Ricoh if they confirmed this rumor.

09-23-2012, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

A few months ago there had been some discussion that some of the Pentax engineers let go by Hoya were being brought back. Keep in mind if Hirakawa is back, it doesn't automatically mean there is or is not a FF on the horizon. He also designed several DA lenses including the DA 40 LTD, DA 14/2.8 and the DA 10-17mm FE and also the DA* 55/1.4. That said, he is one of the better Pentax engineers and designers in recent times.
09-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
A few months ago there had been some discussion that some of the Pentax engineers let go by Hoya were being brought back. Keep in mind if Hirakawa is back, it doesn't automatically mean there is or is not a FF on the horizon. He also designed several DA lenses including the DA 40 LTD, DA 14/2.8 and the DA 10-17mm FE and also the DA* 55/1.4. That said, he is one of the better Pentax engineers and designers in recent times.
I agree on all counts. FF is not the main issue for me, never has been, but I think we can all agree that Pentax needs the best engineers and designers it can possibly get to work on new glass if it is to succeed.
09-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Does anyone know how long it takes to design a lens from beginning to production? Just wondering if a lens design is the result of many months of design work by a team or an individual. I see Pentax currenty developing one or two lenses a year in the K mount, and about one every 18 months or so in the 645 mount. Is it reasonable to assume that if focused on one mount only that a ramp up could deliver three to five or more quality K mount lenses in a year?
09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Does anyone know how long it takes to design a lens from beginning to production? Just wondering if a lens design is the result of many months of design work by a team or an individual. I see Pentax currenty developing one or two lenses a year in the K mount, and about one every 18 months or so in the 645 mount. Is it reasonable to assume that if focused on one mount only that a ramp up could deliver three to five or more quality K mount lenses in a year?
In most cases, they don't have to start from scratch on lenses due to their long history in design. Heck, they out to slip some of their designs into F-mount.
09-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
They have been laboring under very difficult conditions because of the bean counters of Hoya, Hoya fired or "retired" many of the best of the lens engineers/designers several years back. That has put Pentax in a really deep hole IMHO because they have had to rely on old designs for the most part. It has not helped that they have also had to service three mounts - 645, K, and now the Q - with the Q requiring an entire lineup to start off. Ricoh announced that they were rehiring designers/engineers almost the day they acquired Pentax from Hoya. There is currently speculation that Hirakawa Jun is back on board designing lenses (lets all hope that is true) because he did some of the best designs Pentax has in their line. I'm sure that there are many involved in the ultimate production of a lens but all the stories refer to a single engineer as the father of a specific lens, so having more capable engineers back at their designs stations can only make it more likely that Pentax will produce outstanding lenses.....again.
09-23-2012, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He didn't get forced out. He left on his own accord, and went to work for Canon, and still does now. Please. Stop this nonsense about Hoya being this or that. Pentax became more or less a hobby for one of the sons of the CEO. There were some family feuds over this, with Pentax losing money at the time when the bad economy was dragging the company south and the stockholders got pissy. Hoya's interest in Pentax was the medical device division, something they always aspired to get into. But they did thei best not to derail the path that Pentax was already onto.

Last edited by Fontan; 09-23-2012 at 09:02 AM.
09-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
He didn't get forced out. He left on his own accord, and went to work for Canon, and still does now. Please. Stop this nonsense about Hoya being this or that. Pentax became more or less a hobby for one of the sons of the CEO. There were some family feuds over this, with Pentax losing money at the time when the bad economy was dragging the company south and the stockholders got pissy. Hoya's interest in Pentax was the medical device division, something they always aspired to get into. But they did thei best not to derail the path that Pentax was already onto.
Do you have any verification of this? Or any Canon lenses he worked on?
09-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you have any verification of this? Or any Canon lenses he worked on?
Ditto. EVERY source I have found online says the same thing - he retired (or was forced to retire) and nothing I have seen says anything about working for Canon. I'll look but giving some source for the one differing voice isn't asking too much.

Here is a Japanese Language interview with one of Hirakawa, Jun (平川 纯) colleagues who also "retired" from Pentax but went over to Nikon and is happily working away at lens designs for them. In it he laments these early retirements and the loss to the field of Hirakawa, Jun (平川 纯) abilities. The implication is clear that he is NOT working as a lens design engineer at that point at all, for anyone.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20101001_397410.html

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.