Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Q Lens roadmap updated...

The tele prime has been updated to tele macro...

09-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
That's a good idea (to have a macro) but they need a little bit longer tele-prime too. Probably just one lens would be enough. Perhaps they're counting on people using the K-mount converter, but they need something smaller and lighter as a Q lens is, and with better IQ than the tele-zoom. Somewhere between 135 and 200 or 250mm equiv. would be good, I think.
09-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I hadn't seen a Q roadmap before. The wide angle looks promising, hopefully it is a nice fast lens. I wonder whether the small size of the Q lenses make them harder or easier to design and manufacture? With a few more primes and a more serious body (i.e. same internals but a control interface aimed at enthusiasts rather than the P&S crowd) it will be quite a useful system.
09-23-2012, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing.
In the meantime they issue a true marco fixed lens, one can get quite good results in proxi-photo using the 05 tele toy lens.

09-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I hadn't seen a Q roadmap before. The wide angle looks promising, hopefully it is a nice fast lens. I wonder whether the small size of the Q lenses make them harder or easier to design and manufacture? With a few more primes and a more serious body (i.e. same internals but a control interface aimed at enthusiasts rather than the P&S crowd) it will be quite a useful system.
I wouldnt think it would be hard to design, you would think because of it's size fast lenses would be easy to make, look at all the fast C and D mounts, the sonnetar is a 1.1, a 28mm F/2.8 equiv would be acceptable, I would love that actually, with an OVF...
09-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

A telephoto-macro (please be a 1:1 ) would be a day 1 purchase for me- I would use it more than the 01 Prime and be on the camera most of the time.
09-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

f/2.8 won't do it for the macro, though. Let's hope for a f/1.8 or so.

09-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
f/2.8 won't do it for the macro, though. Let's hope for a f/1.8 or so.
Why do you say this? According to "typical" macro usage, greater DOF is often used, so I don't imagine that's the issue. What is it, then?
09-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Why do you say this? According to "typical" macro usage, greater DOF is often used, so I don't imagine that's the issue. What is it, then?
Because of the Q's small sensor you need to stop down the lens far less to get equivalent depth of field to an APS-C based camera.

The Q would be well suited for handheld macro shots because:

A) the sensor size makes compact super-telephoto lenses easy to make compared to APS-C
and
B) the depth of field is much deep from the start because of the sensor size.

I am not sure of the specifics but an f/1.8 macro on the Q's sensor might actually give decent depth of field. Therefore handheld 1:1 macros could be feasible because of the speed of the lens would not automatically mean shallow DoF.
09-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Because of the Q's small sensor you need to stop down the lens far less to get equivalent depth of field to an APS-C based camera.
I've had a lot of fun shooting hand held macros with my Optio W10 - a macro lens for the Q makes a lot of sense! So much sense that it would make me quite a bit more interested in buying a Q... The large DoF due to the small sensor makes it very easy, although when I get really close, f/3.3 doesn't really give me much DoF any more.

Demanding a macro lens for the Q to be f/2.8 is even more silly than demanding a macro lens for APS-C to be f/11...
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I am not sure of the specifics but an f/1.8 macro on the Q's sensor might actually give decent depth of field. Therefore handheld 1:1 macros could be feasible because of the speed of the lens would not automatically mean shallow DoF.
Oh, I see, you're thinking more of faster hand-held shutter speeds. My guess is it will be between f/1.8 and f/2.8. I like fast lenses, and most of the time I'm shooting within about a stop of wide-open. But with the Q I think I'd be OK with either of these (but I haven't bought one yet. I came really close to buying one a few weeks ago - now I'm wondering if I'd rather have the Q10. Instead I spent my money on my first lens purchase in well over a year, and worse yet, I have a K-5 IIs on pre-order).
09-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #12

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know the source for this image is:
Pentax Q10 Hands-On Preview

You might also like to see some of the other pictures there, such as Pentax cocktails,

Cheers,

Josh
09-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Oh, I see, you're thinking more of faster hand-held shutter speeds. My guess is it will be between f/1.8 and f/2.8. I like fast lenses, and most of the time I'm shooting within about a stop of wide-open. But with the Q I think I'd be OK with either of these (but I haven't bought one yet. I came really close to buying one a few weeks ago - now I'm wondering if I'd rather have the Q10. Instead I spent my money on my first lens purchase in well over a year, and worse yet, I have a K-5 IIs on pre-order).
No. Shutter speed is secondary.
Diffraction limit is what matters. >f/4 makes little sense with the Q because you effectively kill resolution due to diffraction.

F/2.8 on a Q is already similar to f/8 on APS-C.
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Diffraction limit is what matters. >f/4 makes little sense with the Q because you effectively kill resolution due to diffraction.

F/2.8 on a Q is already similar to f/8 on APS-C.
Yes, in fact I read about this diffraction problem on the Q last night. We'll see how fast they make the lens - I'm now thinking it must be f/2.5 or faster.
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

They forgot the fast prime...

This system is made for FAST PRIMES, WHERE ARE THEY, DAMN IT.