Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
But on aps-c a 35/1.4 would make a nice parallell to the 50/1.4 on FF, allthough it wouldn't give the exact same DOF, I guess. I miss a nice, fast, compact, normal prime for aps-c in the lens lineup.
35/1.4 cannot be compact. Ask Sigma. It's just optical physics.

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM review: Digital Photography Review

03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #167
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
24mm wants = this: Nikon 24mm f/1.4
Big, big filter, $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Kind of silly for the DA series, but not FF. For APS-C the DA's 15mm and 21mm are perfect. Too fast and they get big an bulky and with WA the whole bokeh thing is less interesting and necessary.
Haha I've seen this one firsthand in a local Nikon store in a mall. The thing is huge, almost the size of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (which is significantly bigger than the kit lens), even without a hood.
03-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #168
Senior Member
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 270
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
35/1.4 cannot be compact. Ask Sigma. It's just optical physics.

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM review: Digital Photography Review
Yeah, I know. It was just wishfull thinking. So, what would be more compact? (1)A ff dslr with a 50/1.4, or (2) an aps-c dslr with a 35/1.4? Or to put it this way: Can Pentax produce a ff dslr that would make alternative 1 above more compact than alternative 2?
03-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #169
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,535
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
what would be more compact? (1)A ff dslr with a 50/1.4, or (2) an aps-c dslr with a 35/1.4? Or to put it this way: Can Pentax produce a ff dslr that would make alternative 1 above more compact than alternative 2?
Depends if the 35mm f/1.4 lens on the APS-C format camera was designed with a smaller image circle to cover the format and nothing bigger, the two cameras would probably still occupy the same volume all things being equal (when comparing FX to DX format things never really are equal)

03-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #170
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
But on aps-c a 35/1.4 would make a nice parallell to the 50/1.4 on FF, allthough it wouldn't give the exact same DOF, I guess. I miss a nice, fast, compact, normal prime for aps-c in the lens lineup.
There is the new sigma 35 f1.4... forget a compact 35 f1.4, it will anyway a complex optical design. Only 50 mm primes allows for reasonable compact design
03-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #171
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
35/1.4 cannot be compact. Ask Sigma. It's just optical physics.

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM review: Digital Photography Review
Have you seen the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R for APS-C? 65x55mm, 187 grams, 52mm filters - nothing to worry about. And apparently a very nice lens.
03-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #172
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Haha I've seen this one firsthand in a local Nikon store in a mall. The thing is huge, almost the size of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (which is significantly bigger than the kit lens), even without a hood.
And the photozone review on DX format gives mixed results...
03-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #173
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Have you seen the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R for APS-C? 65x55mm, 187 grams, 52mm filters - nothing to worry about. And apparently a very nice lens.
That's the advantage of a shorter register distance - I assume that 35mm is not a retrofocus design?

03-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #174
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 664
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's the advantage of a shorter register distance - I assume that 35mm is not a retrofocus design?
Well, of course that's true. Nevertheless an APS-C only lens can be built much smaller.
03-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #175
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,779
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
That's the advantage of a shorter register distance - I assume that 35mm is not a retrofocus design?
Indeed, it's a double Gauss formula, like (almost) all lenses whose focal length is a bit bigger than both their image circle and register distance.
03-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #176
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,790
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Have you seen the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R for APS-C? 65x55mm, 187 grams, 52mm filters - nothing to worry about. And apparently a very nice lens.
Yes. not an SLR lens, but an RF lens. Closer to the sensor (film plane) with no mirror and the telecentricity is ameliorated.

You gain the compactness and relative WA aspects but lose the SLR TTL, long lens, zoom lens, macro flexibility, OVF.

The SLR format has a major market advantage: it's incredibly flexible. It loses some on compactness (though the X-Pro is quite a big beast) and WA lenses get big, but long zooms relatively small. Macro work is unparalleled in the SLR format.
03-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #177
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The SLR format has a major market advantage: it's incredibly flexible. It loses some on compactness (though the X-Pro is quite a big beast) and WA lenses get big, but long zooms relatively small. Macro work is unparalleled in the SLR format.
Besides, maybe retrofocus lenses are actually a good match for digital? For instance, I read the photozone.de test of the Fuji 35/1.4, and I must say I'm puzzled by the difference between center and edge sharpness, even at f/4. The Pentax DA35/2.4 is much more consistent across the frame.
03-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #178
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 664
Just another thought concerning optical physics: compare the size of my two analog era 28mm lenses (FA 28mm/2.8 AL and 28mm/3,5 Shift). On film I was under the impression that the FA lens actually is a lot sharper (but I did not "grain-peep" then and I don't use both of them much on APS-C digital). The size of the shift lens is mostly not due to the shift mechanism (it's all glass inside the barrel) but to the larger image circle.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by wkraus; 03-06-2013 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typo
03-06-2013, 04:24 AM   #179
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Besides, maybe retrofocus lenses are actually a good match for digital? For instance, I read the photozone.de test of the Fuji 35/1.4, and I must say I'm puzzled by the difference between center and edge sharpness, even at f/4. The Pentax DA35/2.4 is much more consistent across the frame.
That's the problem with short register and digital sensor, the light needs to fall on the sensor as straight as possible, so with a short register the angle in the corners is getting to steep.
03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #180
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
That's the problem with short register and digital sensor, the light needs to fall on the sensor as straight as possible, so with a short register the angle in the corners is getting to steep.
Exactly. Olympus was right with the telecentricity of 4/3 after all :-) So maybe APS-C with full SLR register distance and retrofocus normal-to-wide lenses still has some virtues...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lens road map, map, pentax news, pentax rumors, road
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XS road map ? slip Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 08-09-2012 08:23 AM
DA High Magnification Zoom Lens from The Lens road map? Snajder Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-22-2012 02:55 PM
Pentax Lens Road Map for 2012-2013 bossa Pentax News and Rumors 3 02-02-2012 05:44 PM
New Road Map bobrapp Pentax News and Rumors 2 03-26-2009 11:13 AM
Pentax Lens Road Map azcavalier Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-04-2008 06:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top