Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #226
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,612
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Comparing a zoom to a prime is silly
Not if the Zoom lens is sharper in the corners when compared to a prime: as is the case when I compared the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 to the DA15mm f/4:


Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ASPH @ 15mm f/8 - DA 15mm f/4 ASPH Limited @f/8 - unsharpened, uncorrected 100% crops from the extreme left corner: it is clear which lens is superior.

05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #227
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,892
I'll always pick the 15mm over the 8-16 if I want a 15mm picture. I'd say there's maybe ~1/5th the chance of flare... and the colors and pictures are just prettier IMO.

I like the 8-16 but I'd sell it without thinking twice if it came down to one or the other.
05-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #228
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,510
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Not if the Zoom lens is sharper in the corners when compared to a prime: as is the case when I compared the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 to the DA15mm f/4:


Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ASPH @ 15mm f/8 - DA 15mm f/4 ASPH Limited @f/8 - unsharpened, uncorrected 100% crops from the extreme left corner: it is clear which lens is superior.
The 8-16 is a great lens, but I'm not sure if I think the Sigma is a winner there. Hard to tell from such a small crop, but I think I see more texture and better color and contrast from the DA15. The main difference is that the DA15 shows more CA, but isn't that correctable?
05-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #229
Pentaxian
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 384
I have both the DA15 and Sig8-16. The DA15 is aways in my bag because of its small size, and is excellent for street work. But Digitalis is right: I've found the Sigma is sharper, a briliant lens that is my first choice for interiors and wide landscapes where the final print can be 24" or larger.

05-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #230
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I have both the DA15 and Sig8-16. The DA15 is aways in my bag because of its small size, and is excellent for street work. But Digitalis is right: I've found the Sigma is sharper, a briliant lens that is my first choice for interiors and wide landscapes where the final print can be 24" or larger.
That may be true...but the DA15mm cannot widen out to 8mm. That opens up a lot more creative options that are not available with the 15mm. The difference between 8 and 15mm is like night and day.
05-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #231
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,658
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That may be true...but the DA15mm cannot widen out to 8mm. That opens up a lot more creative options that are not available with the 15mm. The difference between 8 and 15mm is like night and day.
You can stitch interiors and landscapes.
05-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #232
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
You can stitch interiors and landscapes.
Landscape is one area that I would not use 8mm...unless you want to make your foreground subject huge and the background tiny.
If you want to take a pic of a mountain range, the 8mm will make them look like tiny pebbles on the horizon.
You use a lens like that to enhance depth, to put a subject right in the viewers face, and to exaggerate angles.
05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #233
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,791
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That may be true...but the DA15mm cannot widen out to 8mm. That opens up a lot more creative options that are not available with the 15mm. The difference between 8 and 15mm is like night and day.
For $200 and almost 1 lb. more!

Comparing compact primes to multi-purpose zooms is (again) silly. But this is the internet.

Creativity is not necessarily dependent on FL unless you've drunk the Kool-Aid. A huge # of photographers only ever used (use) one FL. You buy a prime with a fixed FL to fit into that creative paradigm, with superior portability, which offers its own set of creative uses. Lots of place you cannot shoot a 1.3 lb. lens handheld. The DA15 is a WA prime pretty much designed to be used handheld. Lots of threads here to demonstrate.

05-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #234
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Creativity is not necessarily dependent on FL unless you've drunk the Kool-Aid.
Who said it was? Then again, why create a fish eye lens?
The 8mm does things that a 15mm cannot do. By your rationale, why not just sell a cheap, small 50mm and nothing else?
05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #235
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Who said it was? Then again, why create a fish eye lens?
The 8mm does things that a 15mm cannot do. By your rationale, why not just sell a cheap, small 50mm and nothing else?
Short reminder: lenses actually don't do anything on their own.
/smartassmode off
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #236
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,206
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The 8mm does things that a 15mm cannot do.
Certainly (and opposite is true as well).

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
By your rationale, why not just sell a cheap, small 50mm and nothing else?
Mmm no, his rationale is that you'd rather buy a fixed 8mm if you fancy 8mm more than a 15mm.

Also, one may want to remember that the 15mm is not a simple fixed 15mm but a Limited lens which in Pentax APS-C world means a compact lens. This put things into perspective and should be taken into account when evaluating this lens (no, I don't own it, never even shot with it). It may not be important to you but this is important on a design and relevancy POV (whatever may be your final opinion about the lens).
05-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #237
Veteran Member
Smeggypants's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,536
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Comparing a zoom to a prime is silly. The Pentax 14mm is a very large lens. The 15mm satisfies the compact prime category and as a WA exhibits stellar flare control. There is nothing like it for DSLR's. You need to venture into Fuji or non-AF M-mount to get its equivalent.

Wide, fast, or compact. You get 2 of 3. The 15 gets wide and compact at a resectable f/4 and fantastic close and infinity capacity. The 14 goes wider but much less compact. All the zooms go even wider but are less fast average throughout the FL range and have typical SLR lens flare control, perspective, and filter issues. If you want WA plus speed get out the checkbook and hire a Sherpa named Domke Sigma to carry that expensive beast.

Yup I've heard the 15mm does a much better infinity than others


btw - I have a DA 14mm and while it's not compact I wouldn't describe it as very large. great lens btw, highly recommended.
05-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #238
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Yup I've heard the 15mm does a much better infinity than others


btw - I have a DA 14mm and while it's not compact I wouldn't describe it as very large. great lens btw, highly recommended.
Ok, I have to take my 14mm out for a spin tomorrow....I found that lens to lack "picque" and contrast and be a little soft, compared to e.g. the 15mm Ltd. Yet, I keep reading reports that the 14/2.8 is great.....

Probably I should compare the 14 and 15, and cull the least performant from the herd?
05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #239
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Comparing a zoom to a prime is silly. The Pentax 14mm is a very large lens. The 15mm satisfies the compact prime category and as a WA exhibits stellar flare control. There is nothing like it for DSLR's. You need to venture into Fuji or non-AF M-mount to get its equivalent.

Wide, fast, or compact. You get 2 of 3. The 15 gets wide and compact at a resectable f/4 and fantastic close and infinity capacity. The 14 goes wider but much less compact. All the zooms go even wider but are less fast average throughout the FL range and have typical SLR lens flare control, perspective, and filter issues. If you want WA plus speed get out the checkbook and hire a Sherpa named Domke Sigma to carry that expensive beast.
Not to mention, the 10-17 is decidedly a fish-eye, whereas the 15mm Ltd and 14mm/2.8 are (mostly) rectilinear. Big diff in creative expression there alone.
05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #240
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,612
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The main difference is that the DA15 shows more CA, but isn't that correctable?
Yes it is correctable - however nothing can be done to correct for the lacking corner sharpness of the DA15mm f/4 ASPH when compared to the Sigma 8-16 even at f/8 on a Pentax K5IIs.

the sigma lens has higher contrast in the branches against the sky (approx 500:1 contrast) the DA15 has slightly better contrast in the tree leaves (50:1 contrast) the Sigma has slightly reduced contrast at these but it can resolve higher frequency detail. Bear in mind the DA15 is stopped down two stops from its widest aperture, and the Sigma zoom has only been stopped down one stop from its widest aperture @15mm - this is pretty remarkable performance from a zoom lens. Most SLR lenses perform at their best at two stops down from their widest apertures.


Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 15mm f/8 uncorrected - Vs Pentax DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH @f/8 - corrected in Lightroom - no sharpening.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lens road map, map, pentax news, pentax rumors, road
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XS road map ? slip Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 08-09-2012 08:23 AM
DA High Magnification Zoom Lens from The Lens road map? Snajder Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-22-2012 02:55 PM
Pentax Lens Road Map for 2012-2013 bossa Pentax News and Rumors 3 02-02-2012 05:44 PM
New Road Map bobrapp Pentax News and Rumors 2 03-26-2009 11:13 AM
Pentax Lens Road Map azcavalier Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-04-2008 06:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top