Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Really? I guess the K20d had slightly better AF than the K10d, but you should see a vast improvement in low light performance, you get LV, video and electronic level. And you get the super smooth shutter. The shutter is just a delight, and I've become surprisingly dependent on the electronic level, which may be the second best feature for me after the low light performance.
I should have said not as big a step up from the K20D as from the K10D.

I don't ever use the electronic level so I can't comment. The K20D had LV & video is just a feature checkbox. The AF is certainly an improvement, the K20D and K10D should have the same AF as they are both SAFOX VIII. The K20D had much better high ISO performance than the K10D and it was 14MP, so the K-5 is just an extra 2MP.

The step up from the K-x to the K-5 was a bigger one.

01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #77

QuoteQuote:
Rondec said; Although, to be fair, you should compare the D7000 to the K5,
Fair enough, and I'll give you that. Although, I am not interested in the new D7000, as I am assuming it will be 24 MP like the new D3200 and 5200. I'm not sold on more MP is better. D7000 and K 5 have pretty much the same sensor. I think Nikons AF is better in the D7000 than the new K5II.

QuoteQuote:
I understand that the TC not being present is a big deal to you. The best Pentax can offer currently would be the AF 1.7x TC, which runs 450-ish (used of course). But even with that, you would still be less than the 2800 dollars you quoted for the Nikon kit.
Again, fair enough, But finding the TC is the problem. One may show up I guess on E bay (not my kind of place) and the market here doesn't seem to have them that often. I can't remember ever seeing one at KEH, B&H, or Adorama (that may be due to people buying them as soon as they get listed though)

I weighed the pluses and minuses.

Pentax DA 300 vs Nikon 300 F4 AF S - Pentax is cheaper by about 100 bucks, but no TC, 1 Year Warrant, SDM, and it is only useful on a crop sensor. If Pentax releases a FF camera, I'm going to have to spend another 1200 or more on a new lens. Right now, the Nikon is more expensive, but in the long run, not as it is a FF lens. It also has a 5 year warranty. It does not have VR, but I shoot on a tripod almost all of the time so that is a non issue. The times I might not use a tripod I will be missing the in body SR of Pentax for sure. And of course, I bought the TC and lens together. No hunting for a used product.

There are always trade off's, nothing is perfect. For me, and what I like to shoot, this is a better option today than waiting for what might happen tomorrow from Pentax, and knowing that if I choose to go FF, I would have to replace my glass.

I was going to upgrade the K 20 this year anyway and use it as a back up camera. That wont change. I'll just be using two systems and getting the most out of both of them for my needs.

Again, I understand your point, and appreciate your thoughts, but trust me, I did some real soul searching on this issue before I made my decision.

You think anyone would notice if I covered the Nikon logo with a piece of black electricians tape and just pretended it was a Pentax?
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Considering that you have the K20d you might want to have a look at the great K-5 offers right now instead of waiting. The K-5 was a huge step up for me from the K10d.
Well the thing is, I have the funds, but am going to put the majority of them in my savings for paying off financial aid loans (am a college student). I'm going to apply for a job this summer so I am going to wait till fall/winter for buying a camera. Maybe even later.
Also, I don't plan on upgrading my camera often. I usually prefer to buy the newest version of something so it doesn't become outdated quickly, but I feel like my K20D isn't exactly out-of-date. Its high-ISO performance isn't the best, but I recently ordered a K-01 for very cheap ($314 w/40mm XS from Amazon) and that should be shipping late February. I think that camera will fill some of the gaps of the K20D, mainly ISO performance and focus peaking. As a bonus, it has video, which I look forward to using since I'll be able to use my 15mm, which is much much wider than what I get on my main camcorder: Canon HF S11 with a .66x wide angle adapter. And the DOF will be nice to have too.

So I might wait another year to upgrade. Not sure if patience will allow me to. If Pentax do come out with a new APSC this fall, I'll probably get it. But if not, then my K20 and K-01 will serve me more than well.
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Well the thing is, I have the funds, but am going to put the majority of them in my savings for paying off financial aid loans (am a college student). I'm going to apply for a job this summer so I am going to wait till fall/winter for buying a camera. Maybe even later.
Also, I don't plan on upgrading my camera often. I usually prefer to buy the newest version of something so it doesn't become outdated quickly, but I feel like my K20D isn't exactly out-of-date. Its high-ISO performance isn't the best, but I recently ordered a K-01 for very cheap ($314 w/40mm XS from Amazon) and that should be shipping late February. I think that camera will fill some of the gaps of the K20D, mainly ISO performance and focus peaking.
The K-01 to support the K20D sounds great. I agree with you that it's not a good idea to upgrade too often - I waited 25 years before upgrading my LX to a K10D (and 4,5 years before upgrading to the K-5).

01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You have a serious illness. Seek appropriate help now!
does it help that I bought a bike instead of a lens today?
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
does it help that I bought a bike instead of a lens today?
Haha. You have multiple illnesses.

Way to go, dude. I am a road biker, and ride hard as much as I can. I am a Pinarello man. What did you get?

Money much much better spent than another lens. I am a hypocrite in that I firmly believe one only needs a lens or two, but I own about tenor them, between three system (k mount, 645, and m mount).
01-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildimages Quote
I think Nikons AF is better in the D7000 than the new K5II.
That much I can agree, except when it gets darker. SAFOX X rocks the boat out of my friend's MultiCAM4800DX.
Though that's definitely not enough to convince a lot of "Sith" people to suddenly switch to Pentax.

02-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildimages Quote
Fair enough, and I'll give you that. Although, I am not interested in the new D7000, as I am assuming it will be 24 MP like the new D3200 and 5200. I'm not sold on more MP is better. D7000 and K 5 have pretty much the same sensor. I think Nikons AF is better in the D7000 than the new K5II.

Again, fair enough, But finding the TC is the problem. One may show up I guess on E bay (not my kind of place) and the market here doesn't seem to have them that often. I can't remember ever seeing one at KEH, B&H, or Adorama (that may be due to people buying them as soon as they get listed though)

I weighed the pluses and minuses.

Pentax DA 300 vs Nikon 300 F4 AF S - Pentax is cheaper by about 100 bucks, but no TC, 1 Year Warrant, SDM, and it is only useful on a crop sensor. If Pentax releases a FF camera, I'm going to have to spend another 1200 or more on a new lens. Right now, the Nikon is more expensive, but in the long run, not as it is a FF lens. It also has a 5 year warranty. It does not have VR, but I shoot on a tripod almost all of the time so that is a non issue. The times I might not use a tripod I will be missing the in body SR of Pentax for sure. And of course, I bought the TC and lens together. No hunting for a used product.

There are always trade off's, nothing is perfect. For me, and what I like to shoot, this is a better option today than waiting for what might happen tomorrow from Pentax, and knowing that if I choose to go FF, I would have to replace my glass.

I was going to upgrade the K 20 this year anyway and use it as a back up camera. That wont change. I'll just be using two systems and getting the most out of both of them for my needs.

Again, I understand your point, and appreciate your thoughts, but trust me, I did some real soul searching on this issue before I made my decision.

You think anyone would notice if I covered the Nikon logo with a piece of black electricians tape and just pretended it was a Pentax?
Understood. I do believe the DA *300 is full frame compatible, as well, if it matters...
02-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #84
Forum Member

very looking forward to the new DA* zoom
02-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #85

Knowledge always matters. Thank you for that info. I "thought" it was just for crop cameras. My wife will be amused. She thinks I am trained better than to think on my own.

Please don't get me wrong, My K20 is a wonderful camera and the two little limiteds I have will be hard to pry from my hands. Nikon only really has one stellar wide zoom, and it runs about 2 grand. So my Pentax gear will be used for that end of my photography. But I really needed something on the long end, with good high ISO and reliability. Pentax did not offer that. I tried a Sigma 150 500 and the results were less than stellar. I thought hard about the Sigma 500 and the new 560 is untested. It will have to be a good deal better than the SIgma to justify spending more than $2000 more on it, and I have my doubts. Plus again, impatience has set in. Spring is coming, and I want to shoot.

I also thought about resale. I wont lose too much on the Nikon gear if it comes to that. My one son is a Nikon shooter so even if I cannot sell it, it will not go to waste.

The other consideration for shooting two systems was the "want" for a longer macro. I will probably pick up the Tamron 180 macro in the Nikon mount. If they, or even Sigma made it for Pentax, I would already have it. It gets very good marks from Photozone, and is a lot less than the Nikon 200 macro which gets about the same test marks.

Pentax has the wide end for a nature shooter locked up. Hard to beat. On the long end though, they have some shortfalls that I could not fill, or justify the expense to fill with what is currently available. It's a compromise, not an indictment of Pentax's "failings".
02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Understood. I do believe the DA *300 is full frame compatible, as well, if it matters...
According to the B&H web site, it is not:

"Note! Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras"

Jerry
Manassas VA
I Shoot Birds . . .
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #87

I tried checking the PentaxImaging site, and it just doesn't say anything other than it is developed for Pentax DSLR's, which at this time, is of course, Crop Sensors so who knows?

One thing I do find interesting, and disturbing, more disturbing to be honest, is that when you click on the link at the top that says SHOP, the Find a Retailer is at the top right in big letters and right under it is Find an On Line Retailer. Below and to the left, are the local retailers. Not as prominent as the On Line ones. Which again leads me to believe that the MAP program is a bunch of Hog Wash.
02-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gidewey52 Quote
According to the B&H web site, it is not:

"Note! Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras"

Jerry
Manassas VA
I Shoot Birds . . .
Well, other than the D FA 100, FA 50 lenses, few of Pentax lenses are officially full frame. However falconeye has done testing and says that it seems full frame compatible. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...tml#post285992

Pentax will not likely confirm that any lenses are full frame compatible prior to the release of the still till now mythical Pentax full frame camera.
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, other than the D FA 100, FA 50 lenses, few of Pentax lenses are officially full frame.
Pentax has 10 lenses that have been described by Pentax at one point or another as full frame.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/183420-current...me-lenses.html

Caveats:

I'm not really counting the 60-250 myself (-1)
but I do count the 50 f/1.8 (included in ten above).
The FA 35 F/2.0 might be discontinued by now (-1)

but I'm also not counting the
35mm f2.4 (+1)
40mm f2.8 (+1)
55mm f1.4 (+1)
200mm f2.8 (+1)

So in my mind we're really at 12 lenses. We're missing three zooms, of course, but Sigma and Tamron have those three covered; all Pentax has to do is introduce a FF and a 24-85 or so and we're golden.
02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #90

i type in my zip and it wont even show me the closest retailer and you cant browse by map. so its useless for most of the country. I really thing they need to axe their web designer or do a consumer study for our opinions on usability of the site