Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
i Took my shots in raw =( and no available converter for jpg. (PDCU 4.30 does not read it).
Same here, all I can open are the jpeg ones that I took. The PEFs have thumbnails and... that's it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No moire in JPEG? Maze artefacts from RAW convertor? Are there?
Like Kenn said, didn't see any in jpeg, even when at 100% zoom. C1 won't detect the PEFs, the updated SilkyPix can see the images as thumbnails but can't read the main image.

for some reason also, the colors seem off. maybe because it's still a pre-prod sample, or maybe I forgot to adjust WB.

10-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like what happened with the K-30/D800 files when it first came out. Should test those PEFs in Lightroom, because my Lighroom 3 could open all of those new files without updating.
10-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #168
ogl
Banned

Focus point not much different with K-5. Feels the same.
10-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Focus point size would be software related, right? Or are they physically on the sensor?

10-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #170
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Focus point size would be software related, right? Or are they physically on the sensor?
Neither.
Hardwaredd if I can say so but not on the sensor.
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #171

Photos: Albums
"Focus point not much different with K-5. Feels the same"

:-/

hopping they'll be more precise ...
10-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #172
Veteran Member

I recall that some pentax rep said that the entire AFsystem was revamped?

10-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #173
Site Supporter

If they have got K5-IIs going spare and can afford to waste one by chopping it in half, I would appreciate them sending one of the spares to me. I know I would look after it and not try splitting it in halves.
10-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #174
Banned

No moire i can say. i Took my shots in raw =( and no available converter for jpg. (PDCU 4.30 does not read it).
All i can say that K5IIs is really sharp. Lens used was only 18-55 mm DAL. Focus point not much different with K-5. Feels the same.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Same here, all I can open are the jpeg ones that I took. The PEFs have thumbnails and... that's it.

Like Kenn said, didn't see any in jpeg, even when at 100% zoom. C1 won't detect the PEFs, the updated SilkyPix can see the images as thumbnails but can't read the main image.
How about DNG? Let's forget about PEF, since this is the last camera to carry them.
10-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think its too early to tell about the performance of the AF (this is a pre-production unit). I was also there and for a brief time I also played with the K5iis. All I can say is that its a lot sharper and its ability to focus on dark situations is way much better.
10-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
I think its too early to tell about the performance of the AF (this is a pre-production unit). I was also there and for a brief time I also played with the K5iis. All I can say is that its a lot sharper and its ability to focus on dark situations is way much better.
I'm happy with this! I'm not sure how bad the sensor spots even are, since I am still shooting a K20D, but perhaps this can be our next gripe to Pentax to fix and they'll listen again.
10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
Based on what you said - the -3EV is a huge step up from the k-5 anyways. And if they fix the low-light front focus issues that affected some of the original k-5's, then that's fantastic. And if it's a lot better at tracking (speed and accuracy), then I'll gladly ignore the large AF sensor for all the improvements.

I can't wait to see proper tests on the k-5IIs - if it's that much sharper, that's fantastic. It'd be great for the k-5II to top the APS-C sensor list again.
10-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How about DNG? Let's forget about PEF, since this is the last camera to carry them.
Hmm, I forgot about that... guess I was too confident that C1 or PCDU 4.35 can open it.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
And if it's a lot better at tracking (speed and accuracy),
I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the AF-C speed is still far from, let's say, the D7000, but still faster than the current K-5. In dark areas focuses nicely with AF-S, but in AF-C it starts hunting badly. I hope this will improve once production units come out.

by the way, I saw one of us in the meeting test it with his Voigtlander 50mm. I was surprised how sharper the images produced with that lens (he also had a K-5 with him). Again, no moire.
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Was with Kenn100D earlier today at the Pentaxian event in Manila. With Pentax-Ricoh Sales and Marketing rep Mr. Jiro Suzaki, we had the chance to test the camera, and take photos with it in our SD cards.

Unfortunately due to a binding promise we can't release into public domain the photos we got... (or me, at least)

but I stand by his testimony to the amount of detail one can get from the K-5 IIs (at least compared to my K-x...)

Dammit, why did i not know about this! I'm only 50miles away .... but had to work Saturday

took a photo before it went to my hands

Also, I have to say this: replicating moire has been difficult for me to achieve. I wore a shirt with stupid patterns on it today; we made sure rippling colors will make a freak show out of it in the IIs, but nothing. Tried it on a hotel pillow with weave-like patterns on it. Nothing too. Tried it on the nicely-woven carpet from a parallel angle to the ground... still nothing.

Used the DA 35 while doing it. The PEF files I got were around 25 to 30MB each (please double-check this with your K-5s, as I've no idea if these are the same size)

One more thing me and a friend did: tried focusing in the the almost-pitch dark space under the stage, lifting the cloth covering, and got the DA 35 and DFA 100 focusing on something in the dark. We couldn't see it in the VF, nor in LV, but it did lock on to something. Without hunting. Damn -3EV sensitivity works. and oh, just to add: I turned off the AF assist lamp the moment I took my turn testing it.

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but the AF-C speed is still far from, let's say, the D7000, but still faster than the current K-5. In dark areas focuses nicely with AF-S, but in AF-C it starts hunting badly. I hope this will improve once production units come out.

by the way, I saw one of us in the meeting test it with his Voigtlander 50mm. I was surprised how sharper the images produced with that lens (he also had a K-5 with him). Again, no moire.
Sounds really promising. I wasnt seriously thinking about IIs but now...... could it be worth the extra ~$100?
10-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #180
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Based on what you said - the -3EV is a huge step up from the k-5 anyways. And if they fix the low-light front focus issues that affected some of the original k-5's, then that's fantastic. And if it's a lot better at tracking (speed and accuracy), then I'll gladly ignore the large AF sensor for all the improvements.

I can't wait to see proper tests on the k-5IIs - if it's that much sharper, that's fantastic. It'd be great for the k-5II to top the APS-C sensor list again.
EV-3 - OK. But I don't shoot in the dark. I'm interested in accurancy of SAFOX X. And nothing else.
I don't care speed in the dark, I want 99% of accurancy.