Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #271
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That is SHARP.
So tempted to get on the B&H website right now to place my pre-order....

10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #272
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,825
Hi
Not sure what I am doing here is appropriate and in the spirit of the thread.
Also not sure, is it a K-II or IIs image but which ever it is there is still lots of detail that can be had with very minimal PP. I agree with gazong, if it is the K-II than this is all I will ever need. And if it was the K-IIs I don't think it is that fantastic. (I think more and more it was taken with the K-II)

I would probably save myself the extra $$$ and give the IIs a miss because if for any reason I really really need an extra sharp pic, I know I can do that in PP.

Used Viveza to lower brightness a bit (on this part of the pic) and increased structure a little and finally sharpened it in FocalBlade. (Medium).

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
10-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #273
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
FWIW, I wrote a small article on the "Pros and Cons of Omitting an AA-filter".
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #274
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
...Also not sure, is it a K-II or IIs image
And again: it definitly was that camera shown some posts above, the K5 IIs.
Still belongs to Pentax Germany, Hamburg.


Last edited by Keiner; 10-24-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: lost the "5" :D
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #275
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
Another interesting shot in the dark by Evil Homer testing K5 II(s)' AF

I'll try to translate:

"... So the AF works still, even if you hardly see something in the viewer.
I found it very impressive!

Here's a picture with ISO12800(!) at f1.8 1/15 sec so can you imagine: it was a bit darker.

Pointing to the little plate on the head - the K5IIs focused sharply.
It took a little longer - but of course she did."


btw: Evil Homer uses a Canon 5D MkII.

He concluded (via PN):
"The K5 IIs is the best APS-C Body on the market".

nuff said

Last edited by Keiner; 10-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #276
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
Couldn't see the photo Keiner uploaded, but judging from those words, I think yeah, enough has been said. )
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #277
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamburg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Couldn't see the photo Keiner uploaded, but judging from those words, I think yeah, enough has been said. )
The photo shows near dark in the dark

I upped it somewhere else.
I can see it. You too?
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #278
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,464
I can see both copies. Not bad.

10-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #279
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
My pictures at ISO 6400, 1/30s, F1.4 was already approximately -1EV.

ISO 12800, 1/15s, F1.8 is about 1 stop faster in ISO, 1 stop faster in shutter speed, and half stop slower in aperture - meaning -3EV sounds about right. And if it took a little while, but locked nicely, that's fantastic.
10-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #280
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
QuoteOriginally posted by Keiner Quote
The photo shows near dark in the dark I upped it somewhere else. I can see it. You too?
Thanks! I can see it now. Looks like that tripod was in a really dark place
Further proof of the -3EV sensitivity that works. I've experienced its effectiveness too, pointing at near-black shadows during the testing time we had at a recent Pentax event in Manila. Couldn't see anything in the VF, but it locked, without hesitation, at something. It wasn't on my card though... I'll try contacting my friend who has it. Hopefully even with just 11 AF points, Pentax did the accuracy right this time!
10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #281
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My pictures at ISO 6400, 1/30s, F1.4 was already approximately -1EV.
Your parameters correspond to 0 EV and the tripod shot parameters correspond to -1.4EV.

However, equating shooting parameters with the brightness of a scene only works if the exposure works out to be 18% gray level. The latter is rarely the case so brightness values based on shooting parameters should always be taken with a big grain of salt.
10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #282
ogl
Banned




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,114
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Thanks! I can see it now. Looks like that tripod was in a really dark place
Further proof of the -3EV sensitivity that works. I've experienced its effectiveness too, pointing at near-black shadows during the testing time we had at a recent Pentax event in Manila. Couldn't see anything in the VF, but it locked, without hesitation, at something. It wasn't on my card though... I'll try contacting my friend who has it. Hopefully even with just 11 AF points, Pentax did the accuracy right this time!
It works, but we don't know if it's accurate or not...
10-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #283
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,957
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It works, but we don't know if it's accurate or not...
Looks pretty accurate to me. The photo was taken at f1.8, a point where the K5 classics would have struggled locking and been all over the place with accuracy.
10-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #284
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Your parameters correspond to 0 EV and the tripod shot parameters correspond to -1.4EV.

However, equating shooting parameters with the brightness of a scene only works if the exposure works out to be 18% gray level. The latter is rarely the case so brightness values based on shooting parameters should always be taken with a big grain of salt.
If so, I stand corrected - I only go by what PhotoME tells me on my metering matrix.
10-25-2012, 04:51 AM   #285
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manila
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,191
I hope Adam/deadwolfbones has a production copy by now so we can expect more in-depth tests to prove how accurate the -3EV AF is.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
brochure, k5iis, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 things to know about the K5II/K5IIs jpzk Pentax K-5 16 09-24-2012 05:33 AM
DA*55 sample pics please axl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 04-22-2011 04:39 AM
DA Limited, varying build quality from sample to sample. the swede Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 04-10-2011 01:52 PM
I like this camera, sample... FHPhotographer Pentax K-r 8 01-31-2011 11:04 PM
K-5: another sample schimi76 Pentax K-5 12 11-15-2010 06:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top