Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just tested K5IIs (Ver. 034) and my oh my It is really SHARP!! The new LCD is really great to use with all the viewing angles.

10-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
Just tested K5IIs (Ver. 034) and my oh my It is really SHARP!! The new LCD is really great to use with all the viewing angles.
Post some pix!
10-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #153
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
AF? AF points are smaller than at K-5?
10-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Was with Kenn100D earlier today at the Pentaxian event in Manila. With Pentax-Ricoh Sales and Marketing rep Mr. Jiro Suzaki, we had the chance to test the camera, and take photos with it in our SD cards.

Unfortunately due to a binding promise we can't release into public domain the photos we got... (or me, at least)

but I stand by his testimony to the amount of detail one can get from the K-5 IIs (at least compared to my K-x...)

10-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #155
Veteran Member

took a photo before it went to my hands

Also, I have to say this: replicating moire has been difficult for me to achieve. I wore a shirt with stupid patterns on it today; we made sure rippling colors will make a freak show out of it in the IIs, but nothing. Tried it on a hotel pillow with weave-like patterns on it. Nothing too. Tried it on the nicely-woven carpet from a parallel angle to the ground... still nothing.

Used the DA 35 while doing it. The PEF files I got were around 25 to 30MB each (please double-check this with your K-5s, as I've no idea if these are the same size)

One more thing me and a friend did: tried focusing in the the almost-pitch dark space under the stage, lifting the cloth covering, and got the DA 35 and DFA 100 focusing on something in the dark. We couldn't see it in the VF, nor in LV, but it did lock on to something. Without hunting. Damn -3EV sensitivity works. and oh, just to add: I turned off the AF assist lamp the moment I took my turn testing it.
10-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #156
Veteran Member

All sounds good.
Looks like K-5 IIs bodies are getting out there - Malaysia, Philippines, everywhere.
I guess we won't have long to wait then before there is an abundance of sample images.
10-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

Also, I have to say this: replicating moire has been difficult for me to achieve. I wore a shirt with stupid patterns on it today; we made sure rippling colors will make a freak show out of it in the IIs, but nothing. Tried it on a hotel pillow with weave-like patterns on it. Nothing too. Tried it on the nicely-woven carpet from a parallel angle to the ground... still nothing.

Used the DA 35 while doing it. The PEF files I got were around 25 to 30MB each (please double-check this with your K-5s, as I've no idea if these are the same size)

One more thing me and a friend did: tried focusing in the the almost-pitch dark space under the stage, lifting the cloth covering, and got the DA 35 and DFA 100 focusing on something in the dark. We couldn't see it in the VF, nor in LV, but it did lock on to something. Without hunting. Damn -3EV sensitivity works. and oh, just to add: I turned off the AF assist lamp the moment I took my turn testing it.
This sounds promising...My apetite is starting to grow
Can`t wait for the tests and reviews.

10-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Verrrry cool. Did they have the K-5 II or just the K-5 IIs there? Any other minor changes? Like was already mentioned about the AF point size, AF Speed (though hard to gauge by just shooting, really), does it feel more solid, testing any high ISO stuff?
10-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Verrrry cool. Did they have the K-5 II or just the K-5 IIs there? Any other minor changes? Like was already mentioned about the AF point size, AF Speed (though hard to gauge by just shooting, really), does it feel more solid, testing any high ISO stuff?
We only had the K-5 IIs during the event, but I presume it's much the same as the II. Also, it's a pre-production sample, so the pics we got from there may still really look far from what it can deliver once the real units come out. As for the AF size... am not so sure, but it did shift back and forth on this chair, on the lining on the top part of the chair's armrest (the camera was on AF-C). My hands were a bit shaky, so the red dot shifted constantly from the line to the pillow behind. I used center-point AF all the time, with the lens at either f2.8 or f2.4 on the DA 35.

(please note: this one I took with my K-x, as I was doing comparisons that time, to show what I was testing the K-5 IIs on)

Last edited by Alizarine; 10-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.
10-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #160

Photos: Albums
sounds good !
10-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Thanks for the bonus info!
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #162
ogl
Banned

No moire in JPEG?

Maze artefacts from RAW convertor? Are there?
10-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #163
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If only Pentax did announce an upgrade service to get a K5 up to K5-II or K5-IIS ...
But I suppose, considering the price of the camera, that it would be almost the price of a new one....
10-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No moire in JPEG?

Maze artefacts from RAW convertor? Are there?
No moire i can say. i Took my shots in raw =( and no available converter for jpg. (PDCU 4.30 does not read it).
All i can say that K5IIs is really sharp. Lens used was only 18-55 mm DAL. Focus point not much different with K-5. Feels the same.
10-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Oh just to add more. LV seems much faster and locking in and taking shots in between. (Shot then preview then ready to shoot again)