Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentax is a great brand, but they have their faults like any other. AF has been one of them, even if it is blown out of proportion from time to time.

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/200128-k5iis-sample-20.html#ixzz2AS3oR1vj
I feel like the guy who walked to school for over two miles, in snow storms up hill both ways. I thought my Spotmatic was great because you didn't need your hand held light meter. People whining because they can't nail a focus is just beyond me. It's the camera's fault. The camera tricked me into thinking it knew what it was doing.

If you know your camera, you won't get fooled.

I can see blowing a few shots because of auto-focus. If you continue to do so second time out, that's on you. Put a manual focus lens on it and focus yourself. Man up for god's sake.

10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #302

Photos: Gallery
Wise words.
That's why I kept my MX as a hero of that time in my collection.
All who are unable to focus manually should be beamed back 40 years to learn it
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #303

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I feel like the guy who walked to school for over two miles, in snow storms up hill both ways. I thought my Spotmatic was great because you didn't need your hand held light meter. People whining because they can't nail a focus is just beyond me. It's the camera's fault. The camera tricked me into thinking it knew what it was doing.

If you know your camera, you won't get fooled.

I can see blowing a few shots because of auto-focus. If you continue to do so second time out, that's on you. Put a manual focus lens on it and focus yourself. Man up for god's sake.
I remember when my cell phone was connected to a giant cable that shot into the telephone pole and you had to talk like you were from the 1940s. People who are upset by their phones not making good enough coffee need to pony up and realize older technology is cooler especially when you have to waste lots of time cuz it impresses the chicks. Oh wait that wasn't me that was some tool from the past.
10-26-2012, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I walk away from this site , which I often do... I can go to other photography sites and never see an anti-pentax post.
This site is starting to depress me too. The more time I spend here, the more I am made to feel bad about the cameras I use, even though (by some miracle, you would think) my camera AF and everything else seems to work fine, and I can still get some great shots.

10-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #305
Inactive Account

LOL, this is amazing. I feel like I am in a revolving time warp.
10-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #306
Veteran Member

A revolving time warp doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Might give me a chance to re-live some fond memories and good experiences. Where do I sign up
10-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #307
Inactive Account

www.timothy leary dot com

10-27-2012, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #308
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This site is starting to depress me too. The more time I spend here, the more I am made to feel bad about the cameras I use, even though (by some miracle, you would think) my camera AF and everything else seems to work fine, and I can still get some great shots.
That is truly an odd thing to me. To listen to K5 detractors (and there are many), you should hardly be able to take a decent photo with the camera. Yet, I look at a thread like https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/123731-no-more-tests-just-pictures.html and I see some excellent photos that most photographers would be completely satisfied with. The K5 really is a good camera and the improvements that come with K5 II/IIs seem to cover a lot of the major issues.

Honestly, the biggest issues when it comes to Pentax and focus, appear to come more from the slow speed of the SDM lenses, which won't be rectified by a change in camera body at all.
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Hope no one minds me uploading these
The photos you uploaded have been provided by Keiner who got permission by Evil Homer of digitalfotonetz.de forum. Evil Homer owns the copyright.

If you upload his photos, then please at least pay proper credit to him. We are all photographers and I just don't understand how we can expect anybody to respect photographer IP if we ourself don't respect it ...
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #310

There is no problem in this case.
Evil Homer wished us much fun
10-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #311
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just discovered how poor my K-x's AF performs when I'm using apertures faster than f3.2.. really off, like I focus on the eye, the focus shows up at the back of the head. )

so I learned to adjust by focusing somewhere beyond the person (sometimes even using the floor in front of the person I'm shooting....) to get the job done right. I do sometimes get weird looks from people because of that though.. lol

and much thanks to Evil Homer
10-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The photos you uploaded have been provided by Keiner who got permission by Evil Homer of digitalfotonetz.de forum. Evil Homer owns the copyright.

If you upload his photos, then please at least pay proper credit to him. We are all photographers and I just don't understand how we can expect anybody to respect photographer IP if we ourself don't respect it ...
Understood and I will do so. Feel bad that I didn't think to do so.
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wish they would come out with SDM II to address the lens portion of the slowness. Or even go all DC.
10-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 7samurai Quote
I wish they would come out with SDM II to address the lens portion of the slowness. Or even go all DC.
Be careful what you wish for - they might just do that.

Screw drive may be slower than SDM/DC (depending on the lens), but at least it is very reliable, and relies on fewer electronic parts that may not age very well. And it plays nice with teleconvertors too.
10-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #315
Pentaxian

IMO SDM II is mandatory, if they want to compete (and they want) - they need fast, silent AF in their "pro" lenses, and of course reliability on par with the competition.