Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #31
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
There is no deceit in my words; I'm simply stating a fact, and all will be revealed, I guess next year.
Except for the "we will be happy" part; some people will never be happy.
You can't use term "happiness" if you say about photo cameras. IMO It really sounds like words from the meeting of any religious sect
"Relax, brothers and sisters, everything goes cool. Throw your wrong thoughts out...
We have the plan and you will be happy"...

(Dоn't you understand that Pentax Q is your happiness).

It unreal to make everybody happy.

You should use "satisfy" or "meet somebody's wishes"...
The camera is the THING. The object of utility. To be happy from using the thing is some kind of idolatry.

The thing could attract or to be interesting, but it can't be the sourse of happiness.

IMO...

Last edited by ogl; 09-26-2012 at 06:00 AM.
09-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
You can't use term "happiness" if you say about photo cameras.
Of course you can. New Shiny Things or Old Marvelous Things - they make people happy. Women claim to be less materialistic than men, but listen to them talk about new shoes... (In order not to be too sexist, let me add that I can also be happy with new shoes. Especially new running shoes. So I was very unhappy when my last pair didn't fit as expected...).
09-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #33
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have also two questions:
1. What is this plan? Do you know details?
2. Which product could satisfy more than 50% of Pentaxian...?
09-26-2012, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax miraculously surprising everybody with an FF camera despite all odds... Who's going to be left to buy it by that time? All userbase that Pentax has left by then is either:
- completely OK with APSC; or
- can't afford FF anyway.

Or do they really expect all ship-jumpers to go through the hassle of selling all their gear again to go back to Pentax? (...and the uncertainty that comes with this brand?)

Come on, live in the now. A used FF from Canon on Ebay goes for a third of the estimated price of any possible future Pentax FF. And it will mount your Pentax glass, so you won't have to sell anything yet. What more do you want?

09-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Of course you can. New Shiny Things or Old Marvelous Things - they make people happy. Women claim to be less materialistic than men, but listen to them talk about new shoes... (In order not to be too sexist, let me add that I can also be happy with new shoes. Especially new running shoes. So I was very unhappy when my last pair didn't fit as expected...).
I understand it... Of course...I know women... I'm married. But...It's another context. IMO.

The camera is the tool, the object of research, something which can satisfy you with results...It's the good/bad thing or good/bad work....
09-26-2012, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
SW: In terms of the entry full frame models, this kind of categories we're thinking of. In the APS sensor, there are also possibilities to evaluate a good image quality, that's why we don't actually have plans to launch a very cheap kind of full frame cameras. We also understand that the number of users increased recently so we are building technologies for the future models.
Did he say they are building technologies for FF models? It sure sounds like it. Although he could be saying they are building new APS-c technologies. IN any case, it sure sounds like any FF offering is at least 2 years away, if in fact it's coming. Now those who really want FF can get on with their lives... that D600 sure is a nice camera.... and you can still post on the forum under the other cameras thread and keep your old friends.
09-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The camera is the tool, the object of research, something which can satisfy you with results...It's the good/bad thing or good/bad work....
I think I understand what you mean, but don't underestimate the degree of happiness that a good tool can give the tool's owner. I've seen electricians and carpenters virtually radiate happiness when they had new shiny high quality tools to play with - or taxi drivers with brand new cars, happy like small boys
09-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #38

for the japan market

09-26-2012, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As a bit of a reality-check, does anyone know how many people actually work in the various teams who do product design and development in Pentax HQ?

Their website says there are 1900 people in Pentax JP, which is a modest number and presumably covers everyone from the doorman to the CEO.

The breakdown would include the usual admin staff (accounts, HR etc), marketing, sales, repair and support people etc, but I wonder how many technical people they have (lens engineers/designers, camera designers/engineers, software developers, logistics experts, manufacturing process design, materials experts etc) to satisfy all our desires for the company to make lots of great new cameras and lenses asap?

My guess is that there are probably only a few hundred workers actually on product development, broken into various small teams (K-01, Q, MF, K-5/K-30, GXR, point-and-shoots, camera lenses, CCTV, sporting optics and so on). So it's understandable, perhaps, why things (560mm, SDM teleconvertor, K-3, FF, K-mount GXR?) roll-out more slowly there than at, for example, a big place like Sony. Pentax people are probably working hard, but with very limited resources.
09-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not suspect to see a full frame anytime before Photokica 2014, if at all. A new marketing push, a reasonable pricing strategy, new lenses (not re-badged and overpriced) and other bodies, before then.... Well, I guess we will be reading tea leaves in the meantime.

I was going to say I am going to go take some pictures, but I need to go to work....

09-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shigeru Wakashiro:
If we launch mirrorless camera with a larger sensor, it means a new mount, and it's difficult to create one.
why is he saying that ? the K-mount is already full frame, and a FF K-01 would be only slightly larger I guess.
09-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
Pentaxian

ogl, aren't you' going a little bit too far with your "religious sect" analogy? "Ricoh has a plan and you will be happy!", by the way, is monochrome's - and it's nothing more than a catchphrase; I merely changed the brand and reused it.
And of course - using your favorite tools to do your favorite hobby can bring you happiness; we would have such sad lives if that weren't true.

No single product can satisfy more than half of us; and, strangely, that's perfectly OK. I'm looking forward to see two such new products, planned to be launched next year; yet they won't be for everyone.

gazonk, you know the saying "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"? Yep, not even the simplest tools should be underestimated.

NickLarsson, he's talking about a dedicated, shorter registration distance mount.
09-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
why is he saying that ? the K-mount is already full frame, and a FF K-01 would be only slightly larger I guess.
K-mount may be full frame on film, but there was no SR with film. The combo SR + K-mount is probably not full frame.

If that is the case it either means dumping the mount or dumping the SR for FF. Ouch, both are features that differentiates Pentax from the rest. Keeping the K-mount would be less painfull. But I think a completely new mount would be the wisest though.
09-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I doubt this is an issue; there are "full frame" mounts with a smaller diameter than the K-mount so it's not like the K-mount could barely cover "full frame"..
09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #45
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
They are focused on Japan, and what we are seeing is the export of a Japanese product to the rest of the world.
I'm not sure this is a matter of cross-cultural conflict, so much as economic pragmatism and limited resources. If Pentax has seemed to focus on Japan too much in the last few years, it is probably a survival instinct, not lack of interest. Every dollar that Pentax earned in 2007 would be worth about 120 yen. Now it is only worth 80 yen and it's a similar story with other currencies. It must be so much more profitable to sell a camera in Japan at the moment. All Japanese exporters are struggling with this issue.

I don't think that catering to Japanese tastes and needs is necessarily a bad thing. They are not fundamentally different to photographers anywhere else. What product is it that you think was specifically aimed at Japan and has no relevance to the rest of the world?
Q - Probably designed for Asia first, but has its admirers in the rest of the world.
K-30 & K-5 II - They're just standard DSLRs. and quite good ones
K-01 - An odd product. Launch event was in the UK. Hasn't been particularly heavily promoted Japan. (I like mine though!)
In fact, this whole year, product launch press releases have come out in English first with the Japanese info following a day or two later.

What I think is wrong is that information doesn't flow very clearly from Japan to their representatives in other countries. They are dealing with the press rather poorly. You can blame this on the Japanese side not telling or the US side for not asking, but I noticed that an interview with the UK marketing guy was much more informative than the ones with the US guy.
Closed Thread