Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #46
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
They are focused on Japan, and what we are seeing is the export of a Japanese product to the rest of the world.
I'm not sure this is a matter of cross-cultural conflict, so much as economic pragmatism and limited resources. If Pentax has seemed to focus on Japan too much in the last few years, it is probably a survival instinct, not lack of interest. Every dollar that Pentax earned in 2007 would be worth about 120 yen. Now it is only worth 80 yen and it's a similar story with other currencies. It must be so much more profitable to sell a camera in Japan at the moment. All Japanese exporters are struggling with this issue.

I don't think that catering to Japanese tastes and needs is necessarily a bad thing. They are not fundamentally different to photographers anywhere else. What product is it that you think was specifically aimed at Japan and has no relevance to the rest of the world?
Q - Probably designed for Asia first, but has its admirers in the rest of the world.
K-30 & K-5 II - They're just standard DSLRs. and quite good ones
K-01 - An odd product. Launch event was in the UK. Hasn't been particularly heavily promoted Japan. (I like mine though!)
In fact, this whole year, product launch press releases have come out in English first with the Japanese info following a day or two later.

What I think is wrong is that information doesn't flow very clearly from Japan to their representatives in other countries. They are dealing with the press rather poorly. You can blame this on the Japanese side not telling or the US side for not asking, but I noticed that an interview with the UK marketing guy was much more informative than the ones with the US guy.

09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony + SSS = FF. Pentax is not. Why?
flange focal distance 44.5 vs 45.46 mm
Please explain why a slightly longer registration distance would prevent Pentax from making a stabilized "FF". Thank you.
09-26-2012, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When combined with the Pentax Forums interview and other interviews this was pretty revealing. All this imo:

1.) All indications are that K-01 is a one off product, and there will be no more XS lenses. Jeff Carlson also mentioned not seeing any need K-01 type cameras or lenses on any roadmaps he's seen. I think they took the lukewarm (and in other quarters, hostile) response as a sign they needed to do something different.

2.) Sounds like they've got a 645D II in the works, probably for release next year. Probably a good idea, since the Nikon D800 is such a strong competitor they can't just leave the 645D where it is right now. I don't necessarily agree with them going into medium format in the first place, but since they did that they need to support their investment. If they could come out with a few more lenses that would be a pretty solid system for that level of shooter.

3.) (based on comments made to both the Russian interviewer and Adam) Full frame is being investigated and developed, but they don't really seem to have a direction or target product right now. That means soonest Pentax full frame would like show up is a year and a half from now but most likely later (they hinted to this to Adam with their 18-24 months time frame for camera development). I'll guess late 2014.

Like Norm said, if you want full frame anytime soon, buy into their competitors.

4.) Be happy Q fans, Pentax will continue to support you.

5.) Pentax still sees potential in the APS-C sensor and DSLR cameras so expect some more products related to that next year, with more refinements including more AF points. Maybe we'll finally get a professional level Pentax APS-C SLR? I'm hoping some more interesting APS-C products than this Photokina had to offer, or they're in for another bla year. Note to Pentax: building up tethering and a new flash system would help your whole lineup. Oh, and refreshing some of your current lenses, i.e. the DA* zooms, would probably be in order. Doing all this in combination with a new APS-C flagship would make you look like you know what you're doing.

6.) Sorry flip out screen fans, Pentax engineers don't like these.

I would so love Pentax to go full frame in their own way, and like some others I think them pulling this off in a smart way is important to their survival as a company. However, Pentax is also trailing in a lot of other ways that they need to catch up on (such as AF points, flash system, their medium format system, etc.) and if they spend 2013 really building some advances into the system as a whole, seeing where the market is going, and then redefine their direction (such as dropping the K-01 so they can focus on the Q. Probably a good move), I see that all as a good thing.

But Pentax can't just have a year like this one and expect to keep going. The K-30 was great, the K-5 IIs will probably have some fans, but has it really excited anyone about the brand? Has Pentax done anything from a marketing perspective to help their own cause? No, not really. This is where they really need to wake up. Full frame would help (maybe) but it is not the panacea to their problems.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 09-26-2012 at 08:35 AM.
09-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Please explain why a slightly longer registration distance would prevent Pentax from making a stabilized "FF". Thank you.
I don't understand your question...I don't understand why lenses with Bayonet A could work at FF body with SR, but the same lenses with bayonet K can't.

09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #50
Pentaxian

It's a communication issue, then - I took your post as "the registration distance the reason why it works with Sony but not with Pentax". Now it's clear what you meant to say.
It seems both of us can't see why SR couldn't be implemented with Pentax.
09-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I take it they didn't even launch an FF project or a true CSC project (the fact that they believe into the Q just highlights how big the problem really is ... -- they don't see that very soon all smart phones will have larger sensors than the Q. They don't see a tsunami coming even if all alarm bells are already ringing).
Couldn't agree more.

QuoteQuote:
They want to protect the K mount which is a great thing. But at the same time, it paralyzes them because they have no clue of how to proceed then. There is a lack of knowledge of engineering options at the management level. Like the option of a fully capable K mount adapter with embedded screw drive motor and CPU.
I think a K-0X line could have been a perfectly legitimate interim EVIL line if done properly (integrated EVF + tilting LCD + ergonomics + on sensor PDAF + no AA filter).
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #52
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
It seems both of us can't see why SR couldn't be implemented with Pentax.
OK. Yes...

09-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #53
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
Couldn't agree more.
I think a K-0X line could have been a perfectly legitimate interim EVIL line if done properly (integrated EVF + tilting LCD + ergonomics + on sensor PDAF + no AA filter).
No any plan to continue K-01's project...
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'll add one more thought.

7.) The Ricoh GXR system now appears to be Pentax/Ricoh's best shot at a quality large sensor mirrorless system in the near future. But the future of this system remains murky. As a fan of the Ricoh GXR, I must say that I'm willing and excited to invest more in these products, if they would give us more of a sign of what is coming. If anything, though, I know less at the moment about what is coming for the Ricoh GXR than I do for Pentax full frame. This isn't exactly the way to build consumer confidence.
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I think a lot of times, we project our own way of looking at things onto Pentax and interpret what's happening at Pentax in that light.

Countries have different cultures, companies have different cultures, and even within a company, you will find employees with different points of view. But Pentax, like any other retail company, will try to say things to reassure the customers.

Ricoh competed much more strongly in the marketplace with their copiers than Pentax did in the camera market place, therefore Ricoh has a different sub-culture than the one you would find at Pentax. There will be a cultural change in Pentax due to their new owners, but it will occur over a longer period of time than many of us wished.

Looking at the comments on K01, it seems apparent that it was pushed by more forward thinking, market oriented people within Pentax, perhaps even by employees in other company headquarters. Pentax had never before employed a "designer" to design one of their new models. And it was met with some harsh criticism when it hit the marketplace. Sony's first Nex models also met with puzzled looks and criticism. Pentax has reacted with "we're not going back there again" and apparently is not considering any new K01 successors, while Sony kept reworking the Nex design to meet the various criticism. Currently, Pentax seems to have bad memories of the K01; Sony has a hot new lineup in the NEX models at various sensor and degrees of model features.

Thats too bad, i really wanted to see Pentax get in there and design a new smaller mount just for the mirrorless market. But it isn't going to happen at this point. Its clear from photokina that the Pentax mounts are Q, K and 645D for the immediate future.

Last edited by philbaum; 09-26-2012 at 10:10 AM.
09-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'll add one more thought.

7.) The Ricoh GXR system now appears to be Pentax/Ricoh's best shot at a quality large sensor mirrorless system in the near future. But the future of this system remains murky. As a fan of the Ricoh GXR, I must say that I'm willing and excited to invest more in these products, if they would give us more of a sign of what is coming. If anything, though, I know less at the moment about what is coming for the Ricoh GXR than I do for Pentax full frame. This isn't exactly the way to build consumer confidence.
I think that the lack of an announcement may just mean they don't have universal agreement at Ricoh/Pentax as to what to do with the gxr. They have access to data that you and i don't have. They can see exactly where it is selling and at what levels and what the trend lines say over the past 3 years.
09-26-2012, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Some people enjoy exploiting their unhappy drama. Ending it would be like extinguishing the false ego.

There is no deceit in my words; I'm simply stating a fact, and all will be revealed, I guess next year.
Except for the "we will be happy" part; some people will never be happy.
09-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I think it's silly to make drama from photo equipment...A lot of chances to choose what you want...
09-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
yes, or a GXR-K.
09-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #60
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I have several questions - WHO SAID TO Mr.Wakashiro that
1. We don't need tilting LCD?
2. We don't need K-01's succesor.
3. We don't need new specifically designed lenses for the K-01, with back flange put inside the camera body?

I'm surprised...
Closed Thread