Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #181
D0n
Banned

I consider it a success because it is the right direction for digital imaging period...
it does not have to be a huge sales success for a first try.....
I truly hope the k-01 leads to more mirror less models that have more video features and a line of pentax cinema lenses.

10-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #182
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 may not have enjoyed the greatest sales figures, but that doesn't mean it was an abject failure. Here are some of the K-01's achievements.
- It sent a message that Pentax/Ricoh was committed to K-mount (at the beginning of this year people were seriously concerned about that)
- It developed mirrorless technologies like CDAF and focus peaking that improved other Pentax cameras (K-30 and Q10 so far)
- It got Pentax noticed in the press, both the usual tech-related sources and a wider audience. Although there was a lot of criticism, there was also a lot of respect for trying something new,
- Many Pentaxians are pretty thrilled with their K-01s. Considering the recent firmware update, I would count myself amongst those.

It's a bold attempt to do something different with an entry-level "DSLR". Other brands just compromise on everything - cheap plastics, worse sensor, worse viewfinder, features spitefully removed from firmware. The K-01 makes completely different compromises to achieve its goals.
10-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand the signal Pentax sent out by saying the K-01 was a one-off. I can understand them saying it was a one-off in its present incarnation but the story has come across to me as "no more mirrorless except for the Q" which I doubt is what they really meant at all, though who knows.

In the meantime, I do think Pentax need some solid commercial successes way, way above the league of the K-01. Think of hundreds or thousands of salaries to pay, buildings and stocks to maintain, R&D, and all the other overheads of a modern business. This represents a terrifying bill which has to be met each month from sales of products. The sales of a one-off camera or of a couple of hundred K-mount modules for a GXR instead (the market for this must be really very small indeed) are not going to cover it; and being a fairly low-cost item the Q probably doesn't produce that much salary-paying revenue either. They need some straight-up mainstream products at a chunky price which sell.
10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #184
Forum Member

I truly hope the K-01 leads to more Pentax mirrorless models!

QuoteOriginally posted by D0n Quote
I consider it a success because it is the right direction for digital imaging period... it does not have to be a huge sales success for a first try... I truly hope the k-01 leads to more mirror less models that have more video features and a line of pentax cinema lenses.
I hope so too!

10-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We have no real idea what the margin on the K-01 is; no real idea what the initial production runs (by color) were; and no real idea what was learned developing and marketing the fine K-01 camera. Therefore we have no real idea whether the K-01 was a success - as success was defined by Pentax.

I believe it was a smashing success and achieved all its goals.

But my belief is just as much a guess as everyone else's is.
Indeed, I have no real idea - however from the sales figures and from the interviews it appears it didn't meet its sales target. If so, I'm afraid it cannot be called a smashing success...

Of course, I'm not saying it was an "abject failure", nor that they shouldn't try again.
10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #186
Forum Member

I think that Pentax should test the interest for a mirrorless camera with K-mount much more by producing another such a product, but this time with something of a "traditional Pentax look"; like K-5, K-30 or such. Pentax also should make that new model weather sealed. These changes compared to the model K-01 really could do it when it comes to good sales figures...
10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #187
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
from the sales figures and from the interviews it appears it didn't meet its sales target
I'd love to see some substantive research into these suppositions and links to the interviews stating it wasn't a success.

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I just want to see numbers. Of course, in a market of X-Pro, Nex and OM-D, everything else will be descibed other than successful.
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #188
Site Supporter

I'd love to see some substantive research into these suppositions and links to the interviews stating it wasn't a success.

I'm not trying to be argumentative - I just want to see numbers. Of course, in a market of X-Pro, Nex and OM-D, everything else will be descibed other than successful.
I personally wonder how succesful the X-Pro really is. I have read that the IQ is astounding in certain conditions, and that the lenses are world class. But apparently it has major handling issues and is damn bloody expensive. I wonder how many have really been sold.
The X-E1 is lighter and cheaper. I wonder if it takes care of all the handling issues.

10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #189
Pentaxian

I'm not trying to be argumentative, either, and I'd also like to see numbers. I too hope there will be a successor, after they'll sort out their other projects.
Sorry, it's more like a feeling that a data supported fact. However, it's more than a wild guess: we know the initial production volume - not much lower than that of a DSLR, 14.000 units/month compared to 20.000 units/month for the K-30; and we have the sales charts, on which it was nowhere near them.

Last edited by Kunzite; 10-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #190
Pentaxian

Please link sales charts
10-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #191
Pentaxian

For example, http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/
The K-01 is currently on #65; but AFAIR it did worse in the past, not better.
10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #192
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well doesn't just saying that its a special model and not a line of cameras enough of a hint? Remember those XS lenses? I doubt Pentax decided to make only the one and give it a special label, I think the XS was meant to be a line of extra small (hence, XS) lenses, but it was never developed further because Pentax didn't see the point of making lenses that only a camera that isn't selling well can use. Also, the K-01 got a lot of flack from the photographic community when it was released simply for its unorthodox appearance. The big price cuts are also an indication. It is gaining popularity now because it has gotten cheaper and its IQ has been confirmed to be pretty good. But sure, actual sales would be an interesting thing to analyze, just to see how much money it brought in and what percentage of them was sold.
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #193
D0n
Banned

Thought not occur to anybody that "one off" is in reference to a "Designer brand name" item, and not the end of the line for a k-mount mirrorless cam?
maybe more traditional styled, no signature on bottom, in the pipeworks?
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #194
Site Supporter

I am one of the few people in the universe with an X90 bridge camera. After that was discontinued, I thought Pentax would never create another bridge camera, gone for good. Now we have the X-5. This pleases me because I think bridge cameras are right for a lot of people (even if they could have done better this time around), and shows that Pentax is willing to try things again.

Anyhow, my only point is that Pentax could easily re-introduce a K-01 successor even if they proclaim not to.

And when they do, everything else you can buy will have full-time focus peaking during video, so I hope this will finally make it into the successor!