You sold your K-5 to keep your K-200D ?

10-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
T

Second question is somewhat confusing, since he was like talking about DSLRs and the K-01 at the same time. The latter part of the answer sounded like stereotyping a market. Kind of like saying, to put it in another way, "We'll continue to sell entry-level models and cheaper cameras in developing countries because they don't have many rich people, who will want status cameras".
SW: We think that if you see the market globally, the mirrorless share is very limited, most of the markets have good percentage of the DSLR cameras.

Is there any market analyst in Pentax Ricoh...???? Mirrorless share is very limited... Strange conclusion.

I find also rather strange thing that Pentax Ricoh decide that Pentaxian don't need new DA limited primes anymore...
10-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #33
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You sold your K-5 to keep your K-200D ?
Yes. K200D has better IQ in terms of colour and sharpness and much better AF accurancy.

K-5 has outstanding DR, I see it, but what should I do with this DR if AF is not reliable and AF points size are bigger than at K200D and a lot of pictures are out of focus.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197362-most-important-questio...ike-k-5-a.html

Last edited by ogl; 10-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.
10-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K200D has better IQ in terms of colour and sharpness and much better AF accurancy.
That's only according to your usage of those cameras, your lenses, your preferences, your settings. Different usage, different lenses, different preferences produces different results.

Birding with the K-5 vs the K200D using telephoto is a very different experience of AF, colours and sharpness, for example. Shooting live music or nightclub acts with the K200D vs the K-5 and/or K-x in poor or variable light are also VERY different experiences. Landscape and static street are about the same though.

Post-processing K-5 files vs K200D files are also very different experiences. K-5 is a dream in PP

10-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's only according to your usage of those cameras, your lenses, your preferences, your settings. Different usage, different lenses, different preferences produces different results.

Birding with the K-5 vs the K200D using telephoto is a very different experience of AF, colours and sharpness, for example. Shooting live music or nightclub acts with the K200D vs the K-5 and/or K-x in poor or variable light are also VERY different experiences. Landscape and static street are about the same though.

Post-processing K-5 files vs K200D files are also very different experiences. K-5 is a dream in PP
Yes...If your AF is stable and enable to make accurate shots in low light...
I never use serious PP - just minimal correction in RAW convertor and save in JPEG with 100% quality.
10-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I never use serious PP
K-5 has great depth in RAW, K200D RAW is very 'thin' . I rarely PP wildlife and landscape, but with bands, gigs etc usually PP is unavoidable. Trying to recover highlights or boost shadows is easier with the K-5. Noise is also higher-frequency in K-5 - easier to look at and clean. K-5 AF on centre-spot is all I ever use and it's reliable - maybe other modes have issues.
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hmm.....wasn't expecting that response from you....who has always shown enthusiasm towards Pentax and at times defend the Pentax brand in some of the threads here in PF.
I am prepared to support Pentax and I have invested much but there comes a time when one has to re-evaluate the overall direction where one wants to go and what to shoot with. I am prepared to buy the K-5 IIs tomorrow if it was available but I am wary of plonking more money for Pentax glass because they haven't been able to deliver the large aperture lenses that I have patiently waited for a long time. In hindsight I should have followed the advice of a very authoritative Pentax user friend of mine to ditch all the DA lenses in my collection. As it stands, I'll keep some Pentax gear as a photographic curiosity and write-off the money spent, which is frankly pretty cheap in the bigger scheme of things.

I'm far happier to use my Ricoh GXR but it is FF where I'll be. There is definitely a big difference between APS-C and FF where image quality is concerned and good as the K-5 is, it's just no match with what the competition can presently deliver. Pentax has lost it's bearings on where it ought to be and for Pentax users like me who are prepared to invest in the brand in the past, there is no longer any compelling reason to support it any longer than necessary. Like ogl, I have happily ditched my K-5 because it took just 5 minutes of playing around with the K-30 to convince me that the newer camera is lot better where AF is concerned. All that dynamic range and resolution count for very little if the camera can't focus for nuts.

Last edited by creampuff; 10-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.
10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #38
D0n
Banned

I intend to buy a k-01.
however this is the standard Pentax should be aiming for with a kount aps-c mirrorless camera....
Photokina 2012 Recap: Shooting with the Panasonic Lumix GH3 at the Panasonic Booth
just take the k-01 add an optional evf, and live hdmi out while recording and focus peaking while recording and 4k video and it'll be fine...

10-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #39
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-5 has great depth in RAW, K200D RAW is very 'thin' . I rarely PP wildlife and landscape, but with bands, gigs etc usually PP is unavoidable. Trying to recover highlights or boost shadows is easier with the K-5. Noise is also higher-frequency in K-5 - easier to look at and clean. K-5 AF on centre-spot is all I ever use and it's reliable - maybe other modes have issues.
Yes...But it has no any sense if your photos are out of focus...
10-02-2012, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

But it has no any sense if your photos are out of focus...
Hmmm. Technically, if you examine all the objective tests of AF accuracy (popphoto, that german magazine etc) its AF is accurate, and in use it has decent capabilities.

Understand its properties, control its scope, and it works reliably.
10-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #41
Forum Member

When my k5 focused well, I had no reason to complain. It started going wonky, and now I have to add as much fine focus as is available for different focal lengths. This of course doesn't work so well for a zoom lens, and is a bit annoying really. Add to that the problems in different lighting conditions (which is in my experience anything but an imaginary or infrequent problem) and I truthfully never feel like I can trust it anymore.... which is shitty because I really do like Pentax.

I can appreciate your comments RAWR, though I don't think they really apply to me (forgive me for generalizing, as I recognize your comment was directed elsewhere). I am a conscientious observer of the variables, (including my technique) - and in the end... couldn't reliably count on a solid focus from the AF system.

This is likely a failing focusing system on only my K5, and doesn't reflect the vast majority of experience out there... but, it sucks for me.

Same thing happened with my k10d, and it took several hundred dollars to rectify. I'll probably send it in to get re-adjusted or whatever.... but I haven't shot my Pentax glass in a while because of this problem, and I am somewhat defeated by the prospects.
10-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, am I the only one to find Pentax strategy contradictory ?

They recognize that the MILC market share is growing and is now 50% in Japan, and at the same time they say they won't continue their mirrorless k-mount line. Why ?

Also they talk about a Pentax FF that should be small and and cheap, but the 645D is not really small and cheap, so why bother ?

It's nice to see more interviews from Pentax these last days, but it's finally kind of scary to see that they don't really know where they are going... :/
10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote
I can appreciate your comments RAWR
Thanks. I too can only really speak from my experience, so I try (sometimes I fail) to avoid sounding like my experience is universal.

As you suggest, experience is shaped by usage. If I for example only ever shot macros, I'd pay little attention to anyone who only ever shot sports. So variation in our comments on AF is to be expected.
10-02-2012, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
P.S. Anyway, I don't care about Pentax cameras and lenses anymore. I have 6 primes and K200D and it's enough for me.
I've lost interest to modern Pentax gears.
I can certainly understand this ogl. I'd like to upgrade my K10D, but Pentax still hasn't given me much reason to do so. The colors and clean, noiseless blue skies produced by the CCD sensor at ISO 100 are unbeatable by newer models. I want a FF. I want a larger VF. I want more AF points. I want smaller AF points. I want accurate AF, not faster AF.

My K10D is a fantastic workhorse and I'll continue to happily use it with my FA and older lenses (I do have a DA 16-45, but that's it).
10-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

"The Pentax K-01 is a special model, not a new line of cameras" = It's looks terrible and we won't be making the mistake of using that terrible designer mark newson anymore